Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews

Old 08-25-04, 02:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Exclamation Do not order from MR/Body Electric online - Security Issues!

Margaret Richard's Body Electric website has had huge security problems for years. Just recently a VFer went to order online and saw someone else's personal info.

This is outrageous. I e-mailed Margaret about it YEARS ago. She never replied. (Apparently, the e-mail on her site is about as reliable as the security).

So now, some poor soul has her personal info up for the world to see.

Margaret has been told of this and it has not been fixed. That is unacceptable!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 03:12 PM  
suzannaerin

Same thing happened to me last year when I went to Coach Troy's site. I saw some poor Texas lady's person info!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 04:09 PM  
klwgriffin

Ok, let's start a pool on how long it takes me to chicken out and delete this :rolleyes:

10 days

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
klwgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 04:16 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Hmmm

I just ordered a couple of videos from Margaret's site, not knowing the previous security issues. When I went to checkout, it did pop up the box that says "You are about to view this over a secure connection" and the http address in the bar at the top did change to https:// etc. etc. and there was that little lock icon thingie at the lower right corner of the page, like in other sites I have seen. Are y'all saying this isn't really a secure site, even with everything I have described?

Betsy
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 04:22 PM  
klwgriffin

Quote:
"You are about to view this over a secure connection" and the http address in the bar at the top did change to https:// etc. etc. and there was that little lock icon thingie at the lower right corner of the page, like in other sites I have seen.
I bet that's safe. I wonder if her system is inconsistent, or works better with some browsers than others (IE vs. Netscape, etc.)? I've heard of that, but I don't know if it's true.

I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 08-25-04, 04:45 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwgriffin
I bet that's safe. I wonder if her system is inconsistent, or works better with some browsers than others (IE vs. Netscape, etc.)? I've heard of that, but I don't know if it's true.
I would NEVER feel safe ordering from MR online. I wonder how safe "Diane" would feel if she knew others are viewing (and could potentially copy and use) her personal info.

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for a secure website to not function in ALL major browsers. Do you think amazon would still be in business if it's order page wasn't secure in all the browsers??? And, as Margaret has been aware of this problem for some time, there ought to be a notice that your order may not be secure *depending on the browser you use.*

I'm sorry, I find this lack of secure protection for customers appalling!

EDITED TO ADD: I am a Margaret fan, too. I've been waiting for her to put the Sculptures on DVD for years. But, this history of unaddressed defective ordering and e-mail functions has kept me from pre-ordering.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 08-25-04, 04:54 PM  
klwgriffin

Alta - You should be a consumer advocate (well, professionally, I mean).

Old 08-25-04, 05:05 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klwgriffin
In all fairness, we don't really know whether CS brings everything to her attention either, so I don't mean it at all as a personal attack!
Abbe spoke to Margaret personally about it over the phone in the summer of 2003. Margaret acted very surprised and assured Abbe that it would be fixed.

This was way after I had e-mailed MR about it. She is well aware of the problem.

My original post from 8/2002: http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=14259

Abbe's thread from 6/2003: http://69.93.245.62/forum/showthread.php?t=30649

:rolleyes:

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 09-04-04, 07:01 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

It is possible to be on a "secure" site and still have errors in the sites programming which allow confidential information to be revealed. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the "secure" bit prevents people from surfing by and collecting your information while you're entering it, or while it's being transmitted to the site.

I ran into a similar problem with the San Diego Opera website, where I ended up seeing someone else's credit card information. I phoned the Opera, insisted on speaking to the web team, described the problem -- they brought the site down immediately, and the problem was fixed within an hour or two. MR needs to take note! There's no excuse for such a thing to exist -- if you can't fix it, you need to shut down internet ordering.

Thanks for the heads up!

Gwynn F.
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-04, 07:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund
It is possible to be on a "secure" site and still have errors in the sites programming which allow confidential information to be revealed. .
I'm sure anything is possible. No technology is error-proof.

What I find impossibe is that this "error" has been known for years and has not been corrected! Identity theft is a growing epidemic and a breach like this is inexcusable.

POSTURE CHECK!

Tags
bad customer service, insecure website, margaret richard, poor customer service