Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-19, 08:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Remembered another peeve:

You're on the second side or last set, usually toward the end, when a great modification you would have liked is offered.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 09:29 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
And another thing .... Ellen Barrett often says things like “Only 8 more, I swear!” What do you mean? I can’t do 8 more? I don’t want to do 8 more? Already doing 16 is just so tough? She’s so sweet and she means well.
One of my pet peeves is the instructors who just assume you hate working out and can't wait to be done. I have some very nice yoga (in other ways) yoga DVDs - the instructor is Adrienne somebody - that I never use because of that.

And in yoga specifically (b/c instructors of other workouts have little need to discuss toes), "baby toe". OK, that's just what you call it - I grew up calling it my "little toe" - but that one toe is NOT younger than the other toes. I wouldn't avoid a workout for "baby toe", but I get extra reps (NOT SETS) of eye-rolling from that one.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 09:31 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Remembered another peeve:

You're on the second side or last set, usually toward the end, when a great modification you would have liked is offered.
Yep that is annoying!

I have tons of pet peeves in workouts! I thought that this thread was more about specific things instructors have said, so I tried to limit myself.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 09:56 AM  
dianestjohn

In general I adore Cathe and she is hardly ever annoying. But in her step workouts she sometimes would demonstrate a poorly-cued straddle-turn-hop-mambo-JUMP-shimmy ONE time and then say “Did you get that??” I said many unpleasant things to her in response. But she has mended her ways and I have not heard that phrase in quite awhile...
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 09:58 AM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Yeah, she's the worst, and she uses intransitive verbs when her meaning calls for transitive verbs.

At least she isn't breathy and cutesy.
I looked up the difference between transitive and intransitive but can you give an example of what this instructor says?
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 11:34 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Yep that is annoying!

I have tons of pet peeves in workouts! I thought that this thread was more about specific things instructors have said, so I tried to limit myself.
LOL you know how these threads tend to develop a life outside the original topic! No worries. And they are educational as well, as I also read about and refreshed my memory about transitive and intransitive verbs.

@dianestjohn, yes I know the part you are talking about in the Cathe workout. I think and usually say out loud, H*** no, I didn't get it! You didn't cue it and there are 45 different parts! LOL.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 11:38 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I looked up the difference between transitive and intransitive but can you give an example of what this instructor says?
She says, and I quote, 'Rise yourself up.'
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 11:51 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
She says, and I quote, 'Rise yourself up.'
Arrrrrgh!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 12:07 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

ah ha

Just found one.

This lady is working with the UGI ball.
Then she says "we are going to be doing sumo squats.*
and she goes, *this is one of my favorites, and if you don't like it, well that is just too bad.*

I was like, *say what?*

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 12:41 PM  
carolyn jane

The main thing that drives me crazy is an instructor's verbal tics.

For Cathe, it is "do you feel it" or "nice"; Jessica Smith says "right" so many times in a couple of her workouts that I can't stand to do them.

Michelle Dozois says "come on" about 150 times in one of her 55-minute workouts.

It seems all instructors have these verbal tics but those are the ones that make me not want to do the workouts.
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, pet peeves