Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-19, 05:03 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Ack I missed this preorder. First time for Kelly. I'll be looking for reviews but if anyone is unhappy with their purchase....think of me please.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 05:05 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Okay mine came today (I ordered both). I'm about to do the Strong and Lean workout---the interval premix that I assume rotates between the weights and kickboxing (the "Strong" and the "Lean"). I will give feedback later.

I looked at the Cardio Sculpt overload case, and call me a picky b, but under Equipment Needed is listed Weighted Vest (obptional). Yes, apparently the letter b is now in the word "optional." Even my autocorrect tried to fix it, so I'm mystified how this made it to the finished product. ***sigh*** guess I was an English teacher in a former life, but I would think a professional product wouldn't have typos on the cover. I haven't really looked at the other cover in detail and now I don't plan on doing so. Hopefully both workouts will be stellar and the typo isn't an omen!!

@Alisoncooks, I think there is another thread where someone posted a link to short clips.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 06:19 PM  
YogaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I looked at the Cardio Sculpt overload case, and call me a picky b, but under Equipment Needed is listed Weighted Vest (obptional). Yes, apparently the letter b is now in the word "optional." Even my autocorrect tried to fix it, so I'm mystified how this made it to the finished product. ***sigh*** guess I was an English teacher in a former life, but I would think a professional product wouldn't have typos on the cover.
LOL, I got mine on Saturday, and I noticed the misspelling of "obptional" and it bugged me also. And yes, I was an English teacher for a time many years ago.
Old 08-26-19, 06:25 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

And furthermore, there shouldn't even be a hyphen in "30 Minutes to Fitness"!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 07:14 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
And furthermore, there shouldn't even be a hyphen in "30 Minutes to Fitness"!
I'm a copy editor, and I've noticed typos on many of her DVD covers!

There are also numerous typos on the old Firm covers...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 07:15 AM  
AnMrsDe

I was looking for some clips too. These are from her site:

http://www.coffeyfit.com/ (click on workout then click on red square).

I originally thought Strong & Lean was the one that would use a vest for the weight workout. S&L looks good to me.
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 08:01 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm a copy editor, and I've noticed typos on many of her DVD covers!

There are also numerous typos on the old Firm covers...
I used to do some editing as part of my previous job and was a yearbook editor in high school. I always notice things like this in everything I read.

I would think spell check would pick up obptional!
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 10:16 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMrsDe View Post
I was looking for some clips too. These are from her site:

http://www.coffeyfit.com/ (click on workout then click on red square).

I originally thought Strong & Lean was the one that would use a vest for the weight workout. S&L looks good to me.
Thanks! I missed that when I looked earlier. I think I'm safe for now....
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 11:19 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I did the Strong segment from Strong & Lean this morning. I enjoyed it a lot! I don't have a barbell so I did those moves with dumbbells as was demonstrated by the modifier. So she does 3 sets of exercises for each body part, one set with barbell, one set with dumbbells and one set with the tubing. I really liked this format even without using a barbell. It made it move a lot more quickly that way. I really felt the final moves with the tubing, it added a nice burn at the end. My heartrate soared but I'm a little deconditioned right now, not having done much weight work all summer. I'm looking forward to exploring the premixes with this one.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-19, 09:47 AM  
owltx

I got my DVDs yesterday. I ordered both - I was initially more excited by Cardio Sculpt Overload (CSO), as I was hoping for more of a boot camp type format like her Lean Body Circuits or Circuit Burn. However, after previewing both and then actually doing CSO I think that Strong and Lean is going to be the winner for me.

This morning I did CSO; I did the premix with no legs as my legs were still burning from yesterday's workout. Kelly is alone in this one. The format is: low impact cardio, boxing, legs and compound. I wore a 6lb weighted vest and used light dumbbells for boxing, as does KCM (part of the "overload" as she says). The low impact cardio moves were good - different, and the vest really ramped up the intensity w/o the impact factor. The boxing moves were good, but seemed slower than I am used to with Kelly - and that may be because of the hand weights. They aren't really choreo sequences either, just jab & hook series. I can't speak for the legs. The compound moves were great - lots of good ab-related work here.

The pros: Love the background - I think it is the same from her last couple. Crisp, bright and uncluttered. The premixes are just what I wanted - you can combine the intervals into just about any mix you want w/the premix. I liked most of the moves, and the weighted vest was a unique twist that I enjoyed - useful for the low impact cardio. Kelly had great cuing, as per usual, and gave good guidance tips and was cheerful and encouraging as always.

The cons: Ease of Use *edited to add/change here - if you read down this thread, you will see that Kelly's description states quite plainly this is one workout - I just assumed there was two - so in terms of ease, it is not meant to be set up like that* There is no Workout 1 and Workout 2 per usual in Kelly's workouts. I would have liked a premix choice that would allow you to be able to choose the initial workout and the combined add-ons separately from the main menu. The second thing is the transitions - I did the no legs premix and rather than just removing the leg interval and going straight to the compound, there was a screen that said "grab a heavy dumbbell for compound" with Kelly saying the words. Every. single. time. Then when we hit the Workout Two intervals, for some reason, there was another additional screen introduced that said "Low Impact Cardio" with Kelly saying the words. Every. single. time. Okay, so that was a bit irritating.

Overall for the workout I would say, in general, the pace was a bit slower than I am used to from her. That, combined with the longer breaks and transitions, meant my heart rate did not get up that high. Compared to Circuit Burn or Lean Body Circuits say. I did like the moves and found them unique. I think I will enjoy this much more straight up than as a premix due to the transitions. I think also I will need to do this a couple more times before I can give a final verdict.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey-meyer