Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-19, 04:02 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
:20 Minute Workout with Bess Motta, circa 1983. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMgMqDznt0

This was pre-VCR days. It used to be on TV, and I recorded just the audio on a tape recorder. That was when I was a VIT (vidiot-in-training ).
I had never heard of this so watched a bit of it on YouTube. Wow, they really went for the 80s look with video editing on this one!
Old 07-10-19, 04:36 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I remember doing these (20 minute workouts) on TV when I was in college. They probably win the contest for oldest workouts since they were before VHS. I think they were before Joannie Greggains (sp?) who was also originally only on TV.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 04:37 PM  
Ricka

Whoa! The camera goes around those ladies the entire 20 minutes round and round! Thanks for sharing such a neat find from the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
:20 Minute Workout with Bess Motta, circa 1983. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMgMqDznt0

This was pre-VCR days. It used to be on TV, and I recorded just the audio on a tape recorder. That was when I was a VIT (vidiot-in-training ).
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 06:01 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I remember doing these (20 minute workouts) on TV when I was in college. They probably win the contest for oldest workouts since they were before VHS. I think they were before Joannie Greggains (sp?) who was also originally only on TV.
I remember Joanie. Wow. What year was she. .?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 06:18 PM  
wendug

Definitely not the oldest workout, but one of the few workouts I originally had on VHS that I purchased on dvd- The Firm- Maximum Cardio with Carissa Foster. Oh man this workout gave me doms in my arms back in the day! It's still a fun workout and I really worked up a sweat! It's this workout along with Maximum Body Shaping, Tough Cardio Mix, Tough Tape, and Cardio Burn by the Firm that started me on my path to vidiocy.
Old 07-10-19, 06:19 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I remember Joanie. Wow. What year was she. .?
1983, I think. No wonder I'm 69!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 08:22 PM  
MsThistlebottom

After work I did Denise Austin's Hips, Thighs & Buttocks (1987), minus the spandex and big hair. And I had to modify a bit because I'm just not that flexible anymore! Finished with Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips (Gary Kraftsow).

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 10:55 PM  
Pam

This morning I did The Jack LaLanne Way! The Ultimate Workout Program. The only date I could find on the DVD was with the credits at the of the workout - 1984.

Jack was born in 1914, so if this was filmed in 1984, he would have been 70. He looks like he is 50! His wife looks to be in her late 60s or 70s. His dog isn’t in this tape.
Old 07-11-19, 07:45 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was my oldest workout (not as old as a lot of you have though). Jane Fonda’s Step & Abs from 1992. L It was a fun easy way to pick my workout yesterday.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 02:36 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

You guys are so awesome!! Trip down memory lane for sure. Just the other day I too did Gin Miller's original Step Reebok: The Video.

WHAT A BLAST FROM THE PAST! So fun! I always thought of this as a 60 minute workout, because back in the day, I used to be a very rules-based and disciplined person and I wouldn't have dreamed of skipping anything or modifying anything. So silly, young me was.

I was surprised that the step portion of this one is only what, 35 or 40 minutes? Which makes it PERFECT for a work week morning for this girl! (straightforward and reasonably paced also makes it perfect for a work week morning!)

I never did Jane Fonda's original "The Workout" workouts. But back in 1985, at my very first job in hematology lab, one of my coworkers on the evening shift did JF's original workout RELIGIOUSLY. That was in 1985. I'm not sure but what she didn't do it listening to the LP as opposed to on video!

I'm happy that a couple of you have revisited 80s aerobics with big hair. As far as I'm concerned, if you got a little whiff of joy from doing something that took you back to a good time in your life, then this has been a very worthwhile challenge, regardless of who "wins" with the oldest workout!

Antique Roadshow rules!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dustbunny, vintage workouts