Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-19, 01:28 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Recommend a Good Barbell

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good barbell and plates set? Some of the cheaper options don’t look too sturdy.

Thanks
Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 04:01 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I still use a really old Danskin barbell set that I bought extra 10 lb weights for back in 2005. But someday I plan to upgrade. The Troy Lite barbell set used to be very popular (at least on Cathe's forums), but now I believe Cathe & crew use the Don Oliver Bodypump barbell set.

This is content from a helpful post from Cathe's forum about the weights on the Don Oliver Bodypump barbell set (I think they are sand filled?*):

Quote:
Bar Weight - 3.3
Large Plate -11
Medium Large Plate -5.5
Small Plate 2.2

I translated the total weight to this:
1 Medium - 14.3
1 Medium & 1 Small- 18.7
1 Large - 25.3
1 Large & 1 Small - 29.7
1 Large & 1 Medium - 36.3
1 Large & 1 Medium & 1 Small- 40.7
2 Large - 47.3
BTW, the 3.3lb bar apparently can hold a max of 132lbs and comes with two each of 2.2lb, 5.5lb, and 11lb weight plates so fully loaded w/o buying extra plates, it is 40.7lbs. (You can buy additional 11lb plates.)

https://cathe.com/forum/threads/barb...plates.310191/
https://cathe.com/forum/threads/bran...studio.309177/

*"The weight plates are constructed of a robust 4mm thick polyethylene outer shell and filled with an iron sand compound."

The Troy Lite barbell set has "cast iron plates with rubber coating" and can hold a max of 80lbs (though Cathe forum members have reported using more than 80lbs and not having an issue). Comes with two each of 2.5 lb, 5 lb, & 10lb plates and bar weight is 5 lbs. So fully loaded w/o adding extra plates, it is 40lbs.

Last edited by adawn; 06-19-19 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Edited some misspellings
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 06:11 PM  
Robin C

Thumbs up Don Oliver

I’m using a Don Oliver brand that Cathe uses.
Robin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 06:25 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Body pump barbell looks great but very expensive. I have Troy Lite. I don't have any complains on it although I have quit using it as much. I hate to lug that out when I can just grab my dumbell. I workout in the living room; my dumbell is within reach, but my barbell is under the bed.
hdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 06:38 PM  
BunnyHop

I have one of the Group Strength barbells by Iron Grip. They're used in Jari Love's original Get Ripped dvd.

I got it years ago, purchased via USPS and a money order. Not cheap, but I really like that the plates can be used as individual weights.

http://www.irongrip.com/products/groupstrength.asp I don't think their website has changed at all in all these years.

My other one was one of those P.I.N.K. barbells that showed up for cheap on Walmart's site. You got the barbell and a series of dvds. Didn't care for the workouts but the barbell is fine. Not sure it's made any more.
Old 06-21-19, 11:47 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I got this about a week ago and have used it twice. I like it very much!
https://www.amazon.com/Step-Fitness-...gateway&sr=8-1

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 06:53 PM  
gigi

I took a CAP BB set back to Sports Authority. The weight plates rolled around and came loose so it was awful for Clean & Press. They still came loose for squats and other stuff. I'm saving up for Don Oliver and have it in my cart (saved for later) on Amazon. I also like that the Don Oliver can hold more weight plates if I care to buy more and go heavier. I agree that the Les Mills BB looks awesome but it is so high priced and shipping brings the price WAY up.
Old 06-25-19, 12:15 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Having sold my short Ivanko barbell and plates about ten years ago, I recently bought the Don Oliver Bodypump bar -- without weights -- from Amazon for $50, plus about $9 shipping. I definitely prefer the shorter bar so I was willing to pay the price. I then got grip plates, which I prefer, locally.
Old 06-25-19, 02:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
Having sold my short Ivanko barbell and plates about ten years ago, I recently bought the Don Oliver Bodypump bar -- without weights -- from Amazon for $50, plus about $9 shipping. I definitely prefer the shorter bar so I was willing to pay the price. I then got grip plates, which I prefer, locally.
Mind if I ask what you use for weight clamps? The newer ones are a style I don't recognize and some reviews haven't been inspiring me with confidence.
Old 06-25-19, 03:10 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Mind if I ask what you use for weight clamps? The newer ones are a style I don't recognize and some reviews haven't been inspiring me with confidence.
Greententljs 1 Inch Barbell Clamps - Quick Release Pair of Locking 1'' Diameter Standard Bar Weight Plates Collar Clips
$8.99 at Amazon.

I'm very happy with them.

Tags
barbell, barbell clamps, barbells, danskin, ivanko barbell, troy lite bar