Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-16, 07:51 AM  
Dabbadooey

I thought barre was supposed to lean you out.....

I have been doing live barre3 classes exclusively for 5 months. i'm looking like a linebacker. Granted I build muscle very very easily, but I wasn't expecting this from barre. I have mostly had a calorie deficit. My yoga pants have gotten tight in the thighs, and I have a bubble butt. I may have to go back to yoga, but I'm really tired of yoga.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 07:59 AM  
cherimac

Barre leaned out my upper body and built up my thighs and glutes. I have my best leaning out results with Pilates by Lisa. I'm a short, medium-framed mesomorph with virtually no waist and linger legs, for reference.
Old 06-06-16, 08:09 AM  
Dabbadooey

Cheri, that is exactly what has happened to me. It has helped my upper body a lot.
Old 06-06-16, 08:51 AM  
Demeris

Dabbadooey--I fell in love with barre ten years ago and went full throttle on all barre methods. What I discovered was that some barre leans me out and some barre builds me up like a line backer.

What leans me out: Callanetics, Fluidity, Bar Method, Lotte Berk--slow, controlled, attention to perfect form. These are the only barre I'll do (unless you want to add Classical Stretch to the Barre genre).

What built up my muscles: Squeeze, Pure Barre--the more athletic or the faster forms of Barre.

I don't know about anything that has been produced in the last 6 or 7 years because I learned my lesson with Squeeze and Pure Barre and Tracey Mallet (these also hurt my knees, which the controlled, careful attention to form kinds don't).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 09:04 AM  
Travelmug

Barre made my lower body huge! My thighs became so large and my butt was rock solid (admittedly, I liked how my butt looked but not my legs). All kinds of barre did that to me. I thought I could mitigate the effects by doing barre workouts only three times a week instead of daily, but no dice. I've tried P57, Barre3, Ballet Body, Pure Barre, Booty Barre and maybe some others I can't recall. The results were the same, though.
Travelmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 09:09 AM  
LoveVA

Same thing happened to me: thick thighs, tight pants. I was doing barre workouts 1-3 times a week.
The thickness went away once I went back to traditional strength training and cardio via a rotation of Brazil Butt Lift and then moving on to the old Firm workouts.

I'm sure barre works for some people, but certainly not me.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 11:10 AM  
cherimac

I think it's very individual for sure. Traditional strength work made me larger than I wanted, too. The best fit for me is Pilates, followed by Slim Series type training, i.e., higher reps, lower weights, lower and upper combo type moves.
Old 06-06-16, 11:29 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have done a fair amount of barre without bulking up, but I think I'm one of those body types that doesn't build bulky muscle. I have never been ripped, lol. Like Cheri, Pilates works great for me along with Barre3 and other low weight/hi rep joint friendly workouts. I keep my upper body toned by swimming with hand paddles.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 12:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have done a fair amount of barre without bulking up, but I think I'm one of those body types that doesn't build bulky muscle. I have never been ripped, lol. Like Cheri, Pilates works great for me along with Barre3 and other low weight/hi rep joint friendly workouts.
+1

during my pregnancies, I did barre and pilates and was pretty amazed at how it helped maintain my strength, and built my endurance for delivery.

my legs leaned out from doing tall box/leg press, but barre and pilates complemented it pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Callanetics, Fluidity, Bar Method, Lotte Berk--slow, controlled, attention to perfect form. These are the only barre I'll do (unless you want to add Classical Stretch to the Barre genre).
Demeris - interesting comment. I've always enjoyed the slow, controlled barre styles, although I do have some of the faster styles.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-16, 03:00 PM  
Dabbadooey

i have a month left of my barre3 membership, and I don't want to quit. It's too expensive to bail. Any suggestions on what I can avoid in class that might be contributing to the problem. I have already quit releve.

Tags
barre and bulking, barre and weight gain, barre only, winsor buns and thighs