Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-16, 04:09 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That letter looks like a job application. Maybe she's hoping they will pay her for articles and videos.
They should. She has to make a living like most people.
Old 04-22-16, 04:55 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn jane View Post
Years ago I enjoyed working out with some of her DVDs, but I stopped working out with her in recent years because I do not think she looks fit at all anymore. I do not find her to be an "inspiration" for older exercisers as she seems to want to be.
Really? How is a fit 70-year old supposed to look? Frail? Smaller muscles maybe?

Here is a magazine article and, more importantly, a video of a photo shoot she did last year with some of her background exercisers at a reunion. You can see she is very fit, while recovering from foot surgery wearing a surgical boot. Those arms - yowza!

The three-page, biographical article is very interesting as well: She was a child actress on Broadway, started off with an exercise studio ($3 a class!) in a shopping center in Florida, talks about how gyms steer women over 60 to pilates and yoga classes (she taught at several places in Boston).

Her mom lived to be 94 (avid walker) so I think Maggie will be around for a long time!
Old 04-22-16, 05:01 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

She looks flippin' amazing.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 05:04 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
Yes, there is a huge gap, a canyon really between what a fit senior and a beginner to fitness in latter years looks like.
I absolutely agree with yo.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 05:06 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
She looks flippin' amazing.
I never would have recognized Berneice or Jules (page 2 photo) but BeNisa and Jane look the same. The other names and faces I didn't know but maybe they were on the very early TV shows which I never saw.

Interesting how many prominent locals went to her early classes. I didn't know her first husband was a 'big shot.'
Old 04-22-16, 08:23 PM  
andtckrtoo

Wow. I should probably introduce her to my aunt and uncle who are in their mid 80's who downhill ski, and ride bikes daily. I get where she's coming from - it can be a shock to the system if you are not used to exercise, but to suggest someone can't do simple things like squats and jumping jacks at 50 and above is kind of insulting. I'm almost 52 and can do all of those things.
Old 04-22-16, 10:05 PM  
videofit

Sadly, I know all too many people in their fifties that get winded going up a flight of stairs. They always say, "That's what happens when you get old. You just have to grow old gracefully." Which means give up.

Just got an email from another aunt in her 70s today when I asked if she had signed up for the yoga class at her retirement village:

"The poses look impossible for me. I had trouble with yoga poses when I took yoga classes many years ago. I also had problems with tai chi. I know I should do some stretching exercises. The physical therapist who showed me exercises for my back also gave me some balance exercises which I know I should do but don't. I guess I've just gotten lazy. As far as DVDs, I haven't tried any and probably won't. I have a DVD player which I never use."

She said very few people in the village go to those classes. She used to belong to the Sierra Club and was an avid hiker. Now she just watches TV, reads or is online. She doesn't have any diseases or disabilities so takes her health for granted.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink."
Old 04-23-16, 12:34 AM  
Alan

I recently started competing in skyscraper stair races and from I understand many of the participants are former runners who for one reason or another aren't able to run anymore. Apparently, since climbing steps is fairly low impact it doesn't bother the joints the way straight running does. Anyways, it's very common to see 50+ year olds finish on the podium for these races, so the notion that someone that age shouldn't be doing squats or even jumping jacks sounds ludicrous to me.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 02:09 AM  
PrairieGem

Alan, your post made me smile. Several years ago, my parents (then in their mid 60s) moved OUT of the one-story house they bought for retirement, and INTO a house with three floors and dozens of stairs--they have to go up at least a couple of steps to do almost anything (the foyer is a few stairs down from the living room; their bedroom is on the top floor, etc), because they worried all that flat living wasn't good for them as they aged.

When I called my mom on her 73rd birthday, she was up on a ladder painting the living room.
Old 04-23-16, 04:57 AM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Alan, your post made me smile. Several years ago, my parents (then in their mid 60s) moved OUT of the one-story house they bought for retirement, and INTO a house with three floors and dozens of stairs--they have to go up at least a couple of steps to do almost anything (the foyer is a few stairs down from the living room; their bedroom is on the top floor, etc), because they worried all that flat living wasn't good for them as they aged.

When I called my mom on her 73rd birthday, she was up on a ladder painting the living room.
Good for them!

Just this past week there was a race up the 2nd tallest building in Los Angeles. Out of 620 finishers, the man who came in 15th overall was 71 years old!
https://my.racewire.com/results/32328/36320

In addition, 4 out of the top 20 females were 50+ while 8 of the top 20 males were 50+, including 2 of the top 4.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aarp, aging, cane fu, ernestine shepherd, margaret richard, margaret richard rotation, national institute aging, senior exercise