Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-15, 08:53 PM  
lorajc

What Yoga Dvd's or Instructor Have you Been Practicing With Lately?

Hi everyone,

I've mostly been doing Ravi/Ana Kundalini lately, and I'll never stop, but due to the importance of cross-training, I feel the need to start to incorporate some flow yoga/hatha back into my training, Lord knows I sure have enough dvds.

Some of my favorite instructors are Rainbeau Mars, Eion Finn, Janet Stone and Tara Stiles.....so I look forward to doing those soon, as well as trying both of my sets of Udaya again (spelling) and if I just can't get into those....maybe just parting with them.

I sure do miss the old days of long talks of yoga and real feel the importance of yoga in a regimen since I'm 56...so....also just a reminder to keep the Peace!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 10:38 AM  
Diana2468

I have a hard time finding yoga DVDs that I connect with, but I really enjoy the crunch yoga DVDs and the one yoga DVD the firm released a long time ago (one of the pink firms). Those are probably the ones I do most often at home.
Diana2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:04 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I did a massive purge of fitness videos. The yoga DVDs below are the ones I kept. Some instructors are old friends; others are newer.

Old friends (have had their videos 5+ years):

David Swenson (Yoga Short Forms--originally had this on VHS)
Baron Baptiste (Soul of Strength; Core Power; Unlocking Athletic Power--originally had all these on VHS)
Karen Voight (Yoga Sculpt--originally had this on VHS)
Nirvair (Heal Your Back Now--originally had this on VHS)
Yogi Hari (Sampoorna Hatha Yoga Level 1)
Dharma Mittra (Maha Sadhana 1)
Jimmy Barkan (Barkan Method--Bikram style practice)

New friends (have had their videos less than 5 years)

DDP (DDP Yoga program)
J. Brown (J. Brown's Yoga DVD; this is a wonderful DVD that should get more notice)
Jane Adams (Stronger Standing Balance)
Rudy Mettia (Yoga Warrior 365 program; Power Yoga with Rudy Mettia--stand-alone practice)
Vytas Baskauskas (Yoga for Strength--stand-alone practice)
Bob Harper (Yoga for the Warrior)
Tony Horton (Patience/Hummingbird; Fountain of Youth)
Jane Fonda (AM/PM Yoga--the PM practices in particular are wonderfully gentle)

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

In general I'm using a lot of Jill Miller. I also use a lot You Tube - Lesley Fightmaster, Sarah Beth, Yoga w/ Adriene, Erin Motz and Jessica Smith.

I'm more into restorative/gentle yoga these days - and for DVDs I like Gentle Yoga w/ Jane Adams, Suzanne Deason, Barbara Benagh, etc.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:46 AM  
TinierTina

Lora, you're probably Intermediate, don't be turned off by (my) more Beginner Stuff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I did a massive purge of fitness videos. The yoga DVDs below are the ones I kept. New friends (have had their videos less than 5 years)

J. Brown (J. Brown's Yoga DVD; this is a wonderful DVD that should get more notice)
Jane Adams (Stronger Standing Balance)
Rudy Mettia (Yoga Warrior 365 program; Power Yoga with Rudy Mettia--stand-alone practice)
Vytas Baskauskas (Yoga for Strength--stand-alone practice)
Bob Harper (Yoga for the Warrior)
Tony Horton (Patience/Hummingbird; Fountain of Youth)
Jane Fonda (AM/PM Yoga--the PM practices in particular are wonderfully gentle)
Well, beginner could be taken both ways, certainly in the types of media I allude to using (actually, less advanced technology could be more advanced in yoga if taken holistically rather than just exercise); and certainly in that I eschew most inversions and I've reasons to do so!!

Meanwhile,

Amen to J. Brown. I have that one, too.

I got acquainted with him on the Interdependence site, where he'd been a contributing blogger.

Rodney Yee Power Up Yoga

Look, I have but do not use. Essentially, I'd put together my own practice, on audio, heavily influenced by bloggers (not really J.Brown, though)

But other influences were:

Baron Baptiste Yoga Bootcamp Box (Audio CD with Flash Cards)
The Yoga Fan by Benefit Health Media (a form of bound Flash Cards)
myYoga2go Flash Cards [not much influence there anymore]
The Yoga Bible (a book)
Yoga for Weight Loss (a book)
Idiot's Pocket Guide to Yoga (ditto) ... and a few more

I find Shiva Rea Yoga Shakti too disjointed (and too advanced for me)

And there's a handful of DVDs I don't do anymore (and they are early-intermediate level)

Cyndi Lee OM yoga
Seane Corn (Uniting Movement with Breath ... have meticulously broken down her breath session, though onto a paper sequence)
Rodney Yee Intermediate Yoga (again, there is too much acrobatics for me in that one)

Rented or borrowed (or downloaded) others.

I'd lost the download of Yoga Flo for Peace.
I left out any hybrids, which I certainly have in much higher rotation than just yoga if it's not my own practice

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 11:51 AM  
Kitten

Erin Motz has a 30-day challenge that's a great way to squeeze some yoga in.

Sara Ivanhoe's 20 minute workouts are on youtube. I Sara.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:36 PM  
JENILU

Hi. I usually use youtube these days: Leslie Fightmaster ; Yoga with Adriene; Brett Larkin; Sarabeth yoga; Erin Motz; Ali Kaminova; Doyogawithme; yogadownload; Tim Senese;
and a lot of others I randomly use: Yoga TX; Yoga with Olga; Linda Black yoga(a lot of detox); Lotusflower yoga; yogea artflow; Essence of living tv; Karenparkeryoga; Morgan Day Cecil; Plumtv has some good 20 minute practices; Yoga For Good Life With Liel Cheri
There's many more, but the top list is my main go-tos

For DVDs, I still love Seane Corn (especially her newest sets); DDP - when I want more ahtletic; zyrka; Sarah Powers; Rodney; I love most of the Element DVDs

Plus, I take Bodyflow classes weekly, while not technically yoga, I love them, but still practice at home daily

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 07:33 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been enjoying some of Rodney Yee's 20 minute yoga practices. His pace is good for some injuries I'm healing up from.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 08:15 AM  
Carb8985

I've been doing yoga with Ali Kamenova. She has hundreds of full-length yoga classes on YouTube and they are all amazing. Some are really hard and feature lots of planks and jumps (all of which could be modified to low impact), which I like because then yoga becomes a good and sweaty workout. There is lots of variety on her channel.

I also love Janet Stone! Her practices are really well-designed and leave me feeling amazing after.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 08:23 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I've been doing yoga with Ali Kamenova. She has hundreds of full-length yoga classes on YouTube and they are all amazing. Some are really hard and feature lots of planks and jumps (all of which could be modified to low impact), which I like because then yoga becomes a good and sweaty workout. There is lots of variety on her channel.

I also love Janet Stone! Her practices are really well-designed and leave me feeling amazing after.
Carb, is Janet Stone available on DVD or is she also youtube only?

And question for Barkan Method fans? Is his DVD worth doing at room temperature? In other words, can I do hot yoga without the heat? I don't have a space heater, but I like the Bikram-type poses.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david swenson, james knight, rainbeau mars, somatic yoga, stronger standing balance