Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-15, 06:51 PM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Fitbit or garmin wrist fitness tracker?

I want a wrist fitness tracker and looking for opinions. I think Fitbit and Garmin seem to have the best options but open to other recs.

Are you happy with your choice? Do you only go by steps or do you use other stats it gives you?

Requirements:
Easy to use
Interfaces with iPhone
As accurate as possible with activities I do - spin, strength training, treadmill, elliptical, and fitness DVDs (usually walking type cardio or weights)
I don't want to wear a heart rate chest strap

Thanks.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-15, 07:23 PM  
zippity

Hello, I have both (lost fitbit, bought garmin, found fitbit), and the garmin wins hands down because it does not need to be charged. I would often forget to charge the fitbit and then would take a walk and it was useless. Both seem very accurate; the garmin does not calculate stairs climbed. I definitely like wearing it on my wrist as opposed to checking my bra, although fitbit now has a wrist device.
Old 05-28-15, 08:31 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I have had the Fitbit Ultra, Fitbit Force (had to return it), Garmin Vivofit and now the Fitbit Charge HR.

I LOVE my Ultra. In fact I still feel for it thinking I've dropped it but it's kind of duplicative to wear it and the vivofit or charge. I got a Vivofit around Christmas and I have enjoyed having a watch that does double-duty. I wish it counted flights of steps. I did get the one with the heart rate strap and it has been eye opening when looking at the impact of a workout. I always knew weight training raised the heart rate, but just doing Cathe's RWH weight DVD's really opened my eyes.

Now, of course the Fitbit Charge HR was finally released right around the time I got the Garmin but there were SUPPOSEDLY initial reports of it being irritating like the Force and I was one who had burn marks from the Force. (No, I don't believe it was not an allergy. The derm had me using burn cream because of the blistering.) Anyway, I had waited long enough and about two weeks ago I got a Charge HR. I love, love, LOVE it! It's the closest thing to the Force and it counts steps, heart rate and flights of stairs!!!

Last week I wore all 3 (Ultra, Vivofit and Charge HR) for a couple of workouts. I wrote down at least two days' worth of workouts' step counts and calorie burn to compare them side by side. The calorie counts were within 100 calories or so of each other. The step counts were within about the same range. I left these notes on my desk at work because I had written to-do's on the back of them, but I will try to remember to bring them home and give you those #'s so you can see how close they are in terms of counting results.

Anyway, I'm not sure I helped you at all... LMK if you have any questions, though!

(PS - The Ultra is no longer made but I can go up to 2 weeks w/ no charge. Not sure on the Charge but then I've just hooked it up to charge like twice... once when I went to bed... I don't generally track my sleep... and once when I took my shower. I have to take it off anyway, so no worries there for me.)

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 04:09 AM  
margaux

I previously had the Fitbit that clips to your clothing but disliked having to charge it on the computer every 8-10 days. Plus It would pop off clothing and ended up in the wash twice. I now have Garmin vivofit and love, love it. It has a watch battery so doesn't need charging, a big plus. And it syncs to my iPhone quickly which I find convenient. I can quickly see charts of steps for days, week, month or year at a time. Fun to see my sleep pattern too. I can't speak to its accuracy but I find that to be relative. It is a motivator to get moving and increase daily numbers. I got mine on Amazon at good price.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 09:34 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Right now I am leaning toward either the Fitbit Charge HR or the Garmin Vivofit 2. I think they are priced the same at Best Buy.
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 05-29-15, 09:37 AM  
jo-fr-Canada

I recommend the Garmin. I went through numerous Fitbits as within two or three months they would just stop charging or working. Thankfully their customer service was outstanding and my Flex's were replaced. A friend bought me a Garmin for Christmas and from that day forward I haven't taken it off my wrist.
I love the fact that it does not require charging. Its very comfortable to wear and very accurate.
jo-fr-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 10:20 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo-fr-Canada View Post
I recommend the Garmin. I went through numerous Fitbits as within two or three months they would just stop charging or working. Thankfully their customer service was outstanding and my Flex's were replaced. A friend bought me a Garmin for Christmas and from that day forward I haven't taken it off my wrist.
I love the fact that it does not require charging. Its very comfortable to wear and very accurate.
Thanks. You must have the Vivofit. I think the Vivofit 2 needs charging. I'll have to check what other differences. Do you feel it is accurate? The Fitbit Charge HR is supposed to be one of the more accurate. Showing over might make me feel better though!
2009 - 312/300

- Chinese Proverb

Old 05-29-15, 10:40 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I have the original Vivofit, and I wish I'd held out for the Vivofit 2, since they added a backlight and an alarm. I'm pretty sure they kept the battery since not having to charge was a big advantage.

I disliked the Vivofit at first because the website kept having problems, but they've fixed them for the most part (although it can still be hard to sync if they're getting lots of traffic). I love that it's waterproof, doesn't need charging, and the Android app is easy to use and read so I assume the ios will be too. It seems as accurate as the Fitbit Ultra I had before. I just wish Fitbit didn't have quality issues. The Ultra's bases kept breaking and eventually the Fitbit itself also died.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 11:18 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
I have had the Fitbit Ultra, Fitbit Force (had to return it), Garmin Vivofit and now the Fitbit Charge HR.

I LOVE my Ultra. In fact I still feel for it thinking I've dropped it but it's kind of duplicative to wear it and the vivofit or charge. I got a Vivofit around Christmas and I have enjoyed having a watch that does double-duty. I wish it counted flights of steps. I did get the one with the heart rate strap and it has been eye opening when looking at the impact of a workout. I always knew weight training raised the heart rate, but just doing Cathe's RWH weight DVD's really opened my eyes.
I don't know whether you realize, but you can now link your Ultra (I think) and Charge HR to the same account. It will only count the activity from one at a time though. Right now I have a One and a Surge both attached to the same account. I usually wear the One as it is discreet but lately I have been wearing the Surge for workouts even though I don't think the heart rate aspects are quite as accurate as a cheststrap HRM. I just find it a little easier and it is close enough.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 11:33 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I've had a Vivofit 1 since Xmas. I bought it more for the pedometer than anything else (I used to carry a small pedometer in my pocket all the time and this is much more convenient and safe because it doesn't end up in the wash).

I'll be honest and say that I don't upload the information very often on the Garmin website. I use it more for a "daily" step count, I try to hit 10,000 every day.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit, fitbit charge, fitness trackers, garmin