Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-14, 02:58 AM  
calendria

thanx dbclark44. I deeply appreciate it. I think I like her better when she was younger hehe. Only so much enuthusiasm without breakin a sweat that I can handle lol
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 06:45 AM  
katalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I do that too, Pam.

As far as the op, I find that doing more flowing, Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith type workouts that incorporate stretching, as well as barre, has helped me gain flexibility and less pain more than any stretching workout out there.
I find my body is very happy when I do more of these flowing-type workouts (Ellen & Jessica) as well as Pilates!
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 07:28 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Don't forget "Chinese Yoga"

I just wanted to throw this in --

I was still feeling sore from Monday's weight training and my lower back was annoyed, so I blew off my weight training to do Bob Klein's Chinese Yoga workout this morning. WOW. I forgot what a great stretch Chinese Yoga was! (I bought it years ago, when I regularly ignored flexibility work.) .... I'm putting this in rotation! I feel great!

The title is misleading. It's not a yoga workout. It's a stretch/joint mobility/massage workout. I used a firm 8" or 9" playground ball purchased for $3 from a drugstore for this 52-minute workout and actually found it to be more effective than Jill Miller's therapy ball kit. The music is pleasant and unobtrusive. The garden scenery is attractive .... I think I read somewhere that Bob healed some serious back issues with this routine and has been teaching it to others for many years. (?) It gives the upper body a decent stretch, too, not just the back and legs. It's the sort of stretch workout you can do in your pj's before turning in for the night. No dread and no boredom.

It's sad that this workout will never be popular on VF. Its homemade old-school PBS production values (similar to Erich Schiffman's Backyard series) would probably offend the glam Ultimate Yogi/Classical Stretch crowd. Bob's fashion sense doesn't help, either --- DH laughed at Bob's blue silk "pajamas" this morning. Too bad. Bob's flexibility work is very effective. If you can forgive all that stuff, give it a try!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 07:43 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 08:34 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
The title is misleading. It's not a yoga workout. It's a stretch/joint mobility/massage workout.

Bob's flexibility work is very effective. If you can forgive all that stuff, give it a try!
I hurt my back with yoga. I had to go to a chiropractor for several months and do PT daily before I could move again. My chiro said, while looking at my X-rays, that yoga might not be the best option for me.

Stretching workouts, however, are an integral component of my health & fitness. Your positive review of the program has piqued my interest, but I'm still a bit leery.

So when you write that it's not a yoga workout, do you mean that there are no yoga poses? or is it a different quality in the workout that you identify as non-yoga.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:35 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
From the sound of this it would be a good addition to the thread i started yesterday "off the beaten path workouts". I certainly have and like some that have better production and are a little more known, but i especially like one's like this with all of the qualities you mentioned. ". Often i think they seem more attainable and like you're working out with a friend.
That's exactly how I feel, Penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I hurt my back with yoga. I had to go to a chiropractor for several months and do PT daily before I could move again. My chiro said, while looking at my X-rays, that yoga might not be the best option for me.

Stretching workouts, however, are an integral component of my health & fitness. Your positive review of the program has piqued my interest, but I'm still a bit leery.

So when you write that it's not a yoga workout, do you mean that there are no yoga poses? or is it a different quality in the workout that you identify as non-yoga.
I'm sorry to hear about your yoga injury and can understand your caution, Demeris. My impression of Bob's workout is that it's gentle, well-rounded stretching program, not yoga and not a hybrid. There are some poses which remind me a little of yoga, but I see the same poses in standard stretch workouts, too (simple rotational moves). Karen Voight's stretch workouts feel more yoga-ish than this does, if that helps any .... The effectiveness of the workout is what surprised me. I do Bikram yoga, yin yoga and 'Lastics, which are more intense than Bob's workout, but Bob's workout felt just as effective as those practices despite its gentleness. (The ball work felt wonderful!) ... I believe he designed it specifically for people with ongoing back issues. There's a link on Youtube if you search for Bob Klein Chinese Yoga. It looks rather silly when not viewed in context, but it will give you a good idea of what to expect.
Old 08-20-14, 09:56 AM  
PennyK

Old 08-20-14, 05:05 PM  
Eibhinn

LOVE Deep Stretch with Mimi Solaire. An old fave. It's really good and versatile, since it's broken down into three twenty minute practices. Done regularly, I noticed increased flexibility with this one. I did it so much I burned out a bit and stopped using it for awhile, but have returned to it recently and love it as much as before (it's always 50/50 for me if burnout is permanent or not).

I haven't ever heard of any of the other stretches you mentioned, PennyK. I used to have an Active Isolated Flexibility workout from Broadway Dance Center (http://www.danceclassmusic.com/live-tp04.html) that was pretty good, although the production quality wasn't amazing for the price. I really liked it, but it was a bit long for me at the time (about an hour, if I recall correctly) and unchaptered. Probably I would use it more now as my schedule isn't so jam-packed, but I got rid of it years ago because it just wasn't getting much use. If I saw a copy at a decent price I would replace it now.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 10:42 AM  
PennyK

Old 08-21-14, 12:50 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
I am interested in Active Isolated Stretching with Laura Dugan, Get Bent & Bendy Body with Kristina Nekyia(preview on BellyDance.com), Yummy Yoga with Christa Rypins, Deep Stretch/Yin Yoga with Mimi Solaire, and Somatic Yoga with James Knight.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
I have Deep Stretch/Yin Yoga. It's popular among VF'ers. It's not my favorite, but I like its versatility as an add-on, so it gets used. It's not really yin yoga, which holds stretches for 3 to 5 minutes each, but holds the stretches a lot longer than most flexibility DVDs, which is why I like it.

Thanks for mentioning Kristina Nekyia, too, Penny. I'm not interested in joining the circus or doing splits anytime soon (), but Kristina's flexibility work still looks good. I may have to be a pioneer if no one comments ....

Quote:
I also found the Broadway Dance Center one and was interested until i saw a clip and like you thought the price was to high for the production quality.
I rented this one off Netflix. Hated it. It depressed me -- though, to be fair, I didn't get through the first 10 minutes. I was soooooooo glad I didn't buy it!

Tags
active isolated stretch, bendy body, bent, bob cooley, christa rypins, dara torres, james knight, stretching, stretching program