PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 02:30 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I do that too, Pam.

As far as the op, I find that doing more flowing, Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith type workouts that incorporate stretching, as well as barre, has helped me gain flexibility and less pain more than any stretching workout out there.
I agree too Cheri! Love the flowy feel of both Ellen & Jessica's workouts.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 03:59 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
How often do you do your self-styled stretch prgram? Also is Ana Forrest advanced yoga? Can you suggest something of hers & Erich Schiffman?
Penny, I tried addressing stretching after my workouts but blew it off more often than not. I do better committing to three hours of stretching each week. I do a yin/athletic stretch session on Tuesdays, a Bikram-style yoga session on Thursdays and attend a live yoga class on Sundays. All sessions are an hour each or longer.... I now make weight training and stretching the priority instead of weight training & cardio. Sometimes my cardio suffers for this, but the trade-offs are worthwhile.

Ana Forrest's Spirit & Strength/Embodying Spirit DVD isn't advanced. Well, the first workout isn't advanced. You'll see what I mean if you get it! She gives excellent form pointers throughout.

Erich Schiffman's Backyard Series has been popular on VF for years and for good reason. The production values aren't great, but don't let that deter you. It's very accessible. His beginners DVD is the best one to start with.

I recently turned a VF friend onto Yoga Challenge I - Hatha Yoga with Tony Sanchez. She loves this practice. As with the others, it has no flow and no sun saluts. Tony's yoga is very similar in style to Bikram. You may want to check that one out, too.

Good luck!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-14, 04:04 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:01 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
Tamilee Webb's is good. Several which are suggested here unfortunately include stretches closer to yoga than I want at this time. It's hard to find an instructor who hasn't attended any yoga classes and it shows in the programs they create. I might get Bob Anderson's classic Stretching book instead.
I agree.

A friend have the P90X set, I tried the stretch workout, and I agree it is very good, but it start warming up with sun salutations , which I skipped and did my own, the rest was very athletic and very good.

I checked once Bob Anderson workout video at the old collage and there were some stretches I have seen before in a yoga video. And when I did my 1st yoga video there were some stretches I was already doing on my own. But then again, is not a barbell squat, and a dumbbell squat, the same squat just dif. prop used? I guess stretches are stretches (I could be wrong though), I just don't like those sun salutions and the spiritualism attached to it (no offense to those who like it, it is just my personal preference after I gave it a try). I've felt relaxed after a yoga video, but not always well stretched.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 07:57 PM  
calendria

I do sit a lot but i do exercise for 2 hours several times a week. i am still experimenting to see what works for me
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 09:21 PM  
Sara1000

Did anyone mention FIRM 5-Day Stretch, featuring the stretch segments from some of the classic volumes - these are very good, traditional stretches. This workout is now on DVD, $14.95, chaptered:

http://fitnessfavorites.com/5_Day_Stretch.php
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 06:00 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Resistance Stretching with Dara Torres, Power Half Hour Stretch with Tony Horton, and Annette Fletcher Perfect in 10 stretch.
I was just reading a book I have by Bob Cooley called The Genius of Flexibility. She (Dara Torres) is mentioned in this book. Trying to get my husband on a stretching program because it seems like every three months or so he pulls a muscle in his lower back and is "out and down" for a week or two. He is a regular jogger, gardener and plays golf. Not stretching involved with him and God forbid he actually take himself to a yoga or pilates class. No way!
Old 08-19-14, 07:23 PM  
dbclark44

Just did this one today off yt. Clocks in at 28 minutes. All stretching no yoga. Total body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rmkbGdjfLo

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 10:23 PM  
Eibhinn

Particularly if you have problems with your legs stiffening up and prefer to stretch with a strap, you might like the "Stretch it Out" program on Hollywood Trainer: Core and Stretch it Out. Jeanette Jenkins does have a yoga DVD, but this stretch is straight-up Athletic Stretching - nothing yoga-like about it. I will caution you that Jeanette sort of yell-talks all the way through it. She reminds me of my hearing impaired relatives who never have any idea what volume they're speaking at. It's... strange. And a bit grating. But a good stretch, which is why I still own it.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active isolated stretch, bendy body, bent, bob cooley, christa rypins, dara torres, james knight, stretching, stretching program