Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-14, 12:28 AM  
pollytc

Thx for all the info. This is definitely trial and error for me. Last year my Dr. Did a food allergy test. Came back that I'm allergic to dairy, and for the most part I've been able to alter my diet regarding dairy. I also have a slight allergy (he said it was elevated, but not a lot) to wheat. This has been harder because every time I look at labels, there seems to be wheat in everything! I've been reding a few good books (Whole Foods Diet, Clean Eating, Wheat Belly, and others).
Old 03-16-14, 11:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This woman's website was mentioned in my local Sunday paper. Her journey started with a ruptured disc which led to neuropathy and ultimately fibro. Interesting website:

http://rhodetohealth.com/
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 02:13 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
I have his videos and they are very extremely effective. They take away pain so quickly. They amaze me.
I also bought his videos and the book. I used the first DVD in the first set yesterday and the pain is back today as bad as ever. Oh well.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-14, 09:13 PM  
lila_says

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
Thx for all the info. This is definitely trial and error for me. Last year my Dr. Did a food allergy test. Came back that I'm allergic to dairy, and for the most part I've been able to alter my diet regarding dairy. I also have a slight allergy (he said it was elevated, but not a lot) to wheat. This has been harder because every time I look at labels, there seems to be wheat in everything! I've been reding a few good books (Whole Foods Diet, Clean Eating, Wheat Belly, and others).
Giving up grains & legumes was one of THE BEST things I've ever done for my body --- & given that I was a vegetarian for over 18 that was quite the switch to make. I think you'll find your body a far more hospitable place if you can make yourself ditch those.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 12:08 AM  
Mandy

I have auto immune disease.

After a many doctors,drugs and money spent, I finally found out I have 2 auto immune diseases. Hashimoto's which is my immune system is attacking my thyroid and Meniere's which my immune system is attacking my cochlea inner ear.

I have to have strict dietary eating for both. Hashimoto's..no dairy, soy, gluten, goitrogens,sugar and peanut butter...for Meniere's I eat 1000 mg salt a day and no more.

I also take herbal supplements.

Stress management is VERY important. I use Essential oils, deep breathing, relaxing techniques and just doing my best to stay away from negative energy that saps the life out of me. If I'm around anyone negative or stress, my ear will start burning and I will start getting brain fog.

For exercise, it has been hit and miss. I have high cortisol levels in the morning and evening. So I can't workout at night anymore. I try to workout in the afternoon.
I used to be a high intensity junkie. I love interval training and Tabata. But afterwards, I would be SO tired and jittery. Through all my research, I read that with my disease, its good to not do long cardio but short intense exercie. I have adrenal fatigue and my immune system isn't working so I'm trying to deal with that. My doctor told me to do longer gentle cardio and not high intensity stuff. So i'm listening to my doctor. I modify a lot of my workouts. I've learned to love my Cathe sliding discs. I love her Slide and Glide workout. I also love barre workout. I use Cathe's barre work in Xtrain Legs and Turbo Barre.
I used to workout 2 hours a day. So now I have to do 20-30 minutes of cardio. I have to make sure I time myself or I might do too much since I love working out.

With weight training, I found that if I lift heavy and total body, I get really weepy afterwards and irritated. I think its all due to Thyroid problem. I'm still trying to get my medication right.

I don't feel weepy if I do Tracie Long's type weight training which isn't strictly Gym style in sets. Its more aerobic weight training.
I hate hate hate high rep. I just hate that kill yourself burn feeling. I think it has to do with my adrenals hating it too.

I want to try Cathe's STS because you only weight lift a muscle group 1 time a week. And I think that may be better for me.

I have to balance working out and still having energy to take care of my children. If I exercise too hard, all I want to do is climb into bed. Some days are like that.

I'm still trying to figure out what is best for me. I feel that for cardio, I'm just doing what is fun and I can stay consistant . I also like doing a leg workout because I get more bang for my buck. I mostly do low impact unless its a move on a step that will hurt my knee(like Christi taylor's advanced step or Cathe). I use my BOSU a lot for low impact stepping.

I also love Joyce Vedral strength training. I like her non exhausting giant set dvd's like Fast Forward, Bottoms Up Gold Plus, and her Bone Building which has more rests. If I total up how many reps I did with Joyce workouts, I am shocked because I don't feel so wiped out. If I'm too tired, I will just do 1/2 a DVD and the other 1/2 the next day.

Also sleep is so important. I used to be a night owl and now I have to be in bed by 9:30 or 10 at the latest. I found this to be one of the best healers of all. Which is why I have to say goodnight! Take care!
Old 09-19-14, 03:00 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I'm digging up this thread but I really think the content here is invaluable. Thank you so much for your replies. Is there a check-in for people with chronic pain/auto-immune conditions? I've looked repeatedly but can't find anything.

In meantime - thank you for all your information here.

I have severe osteo-arthritis but I must have something else too because I have bad flares where pretty-much from chin-down I hurt and my joints swell I places. I have several other auto-immune conditions as well.

I find the resources here at VideoFitness are invaluable. Peace and good health to you!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 02:47 AM  
pollytc

I agree Tuesday Taylor. When I was struggling this past spring I found everyone to be extremely helpful in revamping my workouts.
Old 10-05-14, 07:41 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I didn't realize until very recently that Keli Roberts has polymyositis - an autoimmune condition. I have several autoimmune conditions that require daily attention and cause ongoing issues and challenges in my life and often wonder how many of famous celebrities or even well-known exercise instructors have similar issues. It made feel less alone knowing someone as successful and celebrated as Keli Roberts perhaps has quite similar struggles and worries.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/p...lymyositis.htm
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 11:01 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayTaylor View Post
I have several autoimmune conditions that require daily attention and cause ongoing issues and challenges in my life and often wonder how many of famous celebrities or even well-known exercise instructors have similar issues. It made feel less alone knowing someone as successful and celebrated as Keli Roberts perhaps has quite similar struggles and worries.
I had to chuckle. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis decades ago. People in my life have often had a hard time remembering what exactly the condition is. Then, several years ago, people starting asking, is that the type of arthritis Phil Mickelson has? He had done commercials for Enbrel and had apparently gotten quite a bit of press. It made it easier to explain when someone famous had it, too. Especially when the person had read or heard the kind of pain he had to deal with while playing golf...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-14, 11:10 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Giving up grains & legumes was one of THE BEST things I've ever done for my body --- & given that I was a vegetarian for over 18 that was quite the switch to make. I think you'll find your body a far more hospitable place if you can make yourself ditch those.
For me too. I can't say enough good things about that decision.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga