Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-14, 12:58 PM  
pollytc

Question for Those with Fibromyalgia or an Auto Immune Disorder

3 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, though I suffered with various ailments for many years. It wasn't until I started getting intense, wide spread pain did the testing start, and many months later diagnosed. In addition to medication, my dr. suggested diet, managing stress, and strength training.

I did good with this for most part for 1 - 1 1/2 years. The past year I have strayed from consistent workouts, diet, and stress management. I've been working numerous hours per day/week. Though I have always gotten some pain since being diagnosed, over the past few weeks and mainly this past week I have had intense, debilitating pain throughout my body. This has been a slap in the face. I've started re-reading my FMS books, as well as reading online articles. It's time to start focusing on me again. I would like to ask a few questions:

1. I'm not a fan of yoga and find it boring, but this is something my dr. has recommended, and also see in every book and article I read. Aside from having yoga workouts from Cathe and Bob, I haven't tried these. Any recommendations for good yoga workouts, especially for beginners?

2. Strength training is something else recommended and I did focus on for a long time. I have not been consistent with workouts for over a year, and I have lost so much mucle. Which did you find better: high reps/low weight or low reps/high weight? (I have numerous workouts and love both types).

3. I dabbled in pilates years ago, but ended up parting with my dvds. I do have a few 10 Minute Solution Pilates workouts. After reading a thread last night, I bought off Amazon the Winsor Thigh and Butt workouts (21 minutes). Any pilates workouts you can recommend?

4. What about barre? Is this beneficial to FMS or any other auto immune diseases? I do have (but not tried) Cathe's Turbo Barre, Squeeze, Squeeze Lower Body, and an unoopened barre workout from a few years ago and can't remember the name of it. I also have Tracy Anderson's Mat workout (older one). Last year I bought a workout that is supposed to be good for FMS, from Ivy Larson, but again have not tried it.

As you can see, I'm trying to do my homework til this flare up ends. It's time for a permaneant change! I appreciate any experiences you can share with me.
Old 03-08-14, 01:24 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollytc View Post
3 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, though I suffered with various ailments for many years. It wasn't until I started getting intense, wide spread pain did the testing start, and many months later diagnosed. In addition to medication, my dr. suggested diet, managing stress, and strength training.

I did good with this for most part for 1 - 1 1/2 years. The past year I have strayed from consistent workouts, diet, and stress management. I've been working numerous hours per day/week. Though I have always gotten some pain since being diagnosed, over the past few weeks and mainly this past week I have had intense, debilitating pain throughout my body. This has been a slap in the face. I've started re-reading my FMS books, as well as reading online articles. It's time to start focusing on me again. I would like to ask a few questions:

1. I'm not a fan of yoga and find it boring, but this is something my dr. has recommended, and also see in every book and article I read. Aside from having yoga workouts from Cathe and Bob, I haven't tried these. Any recommendations for good yoga workouts, especially for beginners?

2. Strength training is something else recommended and I did focus on for a long time. I have not been consistent with workouts for over a year, and I have lost so much mucle. Which did you find better: high reps/low weight or low reps/high weight? (I have numerous workouts and love both types).

3. I dabbled in pilates years ago, but ended up parting with my dvds. I do have a few 10 Minute Solution Pilates workouts. After reading a thread last night, I bought off Amazon the Winsor Thigh and Butt workouts (21 minutes). Any pilates workouts you can recommend?

4. What about barre? Is this beneficial to FMS or any other auto immune diseases? I do have (but not tried) Cathe's Turbo Barre, Squeeze, Squeeze Lower Body, and an unoopened barre workout from a few years ago and can't remember the name of it. I also have Tracy Anderson's Mat workout (older one). Last year I bought a workout that is supposed to be good for FMS, from Ivy Larson, but again have not tried it.

As you can see, I'm trying to do my homework til this flare up ends. It's time for a permaneant change! I appreciate any experiences you can share with me.
So sorry for all that you are going through. In researching Fibro for my sister in law, swimming and Tai Chi came up a lot. As for the weight training I would do something simple and not too intense. While rehabbing a back injury, I did Herbalife 24 Fit. Phase one was especially helpful in that it was not too intense, worked on strengthening the smaller muscles first to gain stability in the area before moving on to phase 2 ( strength phase) the workout were about 20-30 minutes and very do-able. I liked how each phase built on one another. did mostly phase 1 and 2 then moved on to other things as I needed a change and got the strength and stability back to move on. I also love that this program was created by a physical therapist.
I'm sure you will get a lot of great responses here from people who have Fibromyalgia and I wish you the best.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 01:29 PM  
Zenara25

My mom was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. So not much experience gained yet. Looking forward to what others have to say.

I would guess that any workout that is not dread inducing. Workouts that are enjoyable for you to keep stress levels down.

As an alternative to yoga, I just recently bought Classical Stretch Season 8 and think the short 23min workouts are fantastic for 'moving the body' with stretching and gentle toning.
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 01:39 PM  
cpcathy

I don't have fibro, but I have RA, for about fourteen years now. I gave up difficult workouts awhile ago, and I focus on what makes me feel good. I do Zumba and other dance workouts (I love to dance--not good at it, but still love it! ), I do occasional short weight or band workouts, walk outside every week day at work with a buddy. I detest barre work, but I've have TA Mat Workout, and whenever I do it, I get a nice, worked out, confident feeling. Not sure if this is much to go on, but my recommendation would be to do workouts for your mind and your body. Kundalini yoga is also nice.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 01:56 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would recommend Classical Stretch/Essentrics. I know all about widespread pain---I have had to gear down my workouts in the past few years. Season 8 is great for pain relief...and Sahra's Essentrics Stretch/Strength is also wonderful. Short little practices that make you feel stretched out and refreshed.

Also, I added Lee Holden's "7 Minutes of Magic" to the mix, and that has helped tremendously. I love the PM Extended Practice and do it almost daily.

Good luck.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 03:18 PM  
rosepetals

Classical stretch according to Miranda untangles the fascia which is the cause of pain in fibro. I find it calms down the pain. I also find great relief through juicing. While I won't go into the specifics, it took time and consistency with juicing for the issue to resolve.

Caffeine and sodas tend to increase the symptoms and pain. Elimination of all processed foods, anything in a package, can, box, or prepared by anyone else helps out. Eating natural foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables stopped my pain.

I now have figured out a that if I eat to the RDA within my calorie range, eating fresh fruits and vegetables and juicing, nuts, seeds. . . all natural my body is healing. I have MS along with fibro. Things are improving greatly. I can't say enough good things about diet changes. My meals are tracked on sparkpeople and planned out so I always get the RDA. Popping a pill does not have the same effect as food.

Another video is Somatic Yoga by James Knight. It is expensive but very worth it. He teaches you how to resolve most pain issues. I felt immediate relief from doing one workout. It's not traditional yoga, but a form of stretching.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 04:18 PM  
txfitmom

I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, have had it for years. I definitely suffer a lot more when under stress or trying to burn the candle at both ends. I have to remind myself a lot that I cannot do what other people are able to do. That being said, I also have to remind myself to get up and do some kind of exercise even if it is just stretching or walking. Sitting around too much is not good for fibro either.

I stay away from heavy weight workouts, intense workouts like Insanity, etc, jogging or plyo moves, anything that can mess with my joints too much. I like using lighter weights with higher reps, but I just have to make sure I have really good form so I don't end up with a flare. I also like pilates, fusion, and yoga workouts that are less intense, stuff like Ellen Barrett, Suzanne Bowen, etc. I am starting to use bands more than weights because I find they are easier to use with my bad shoulders. I have done a few Tracy Anderson rotations in the past, but when I do her workouts I try to stick to no more than 3 times a week (usually her shorter workouts).

I think the key is to keep your body moving with less intense workouts, things that make you happy. I am really finding Jessica Smith's online workouts to fit me well right now. She has so much to choose from and I love free workouts!

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 04:42 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I am so sorry that you are suffering. I do not know much about fibro, but I deal with RA and other inflammatory issues.

I can say with certainty that inactivity is my worst enemy. There are days when I truly need to just rest, but many times I need to get off my booty and do something. Here is what works for me:

Fun and flowy things like Yoga Booty Ballet, Soul Sweat, and Jessica Smith's walking workouts on Youtube. The music and moves make me smile and they must do something good for my joints and back.

Kundalini yoga has been a huge gift. I can do as little as 20 minutes or over an hour, depending on my time. It just puts me in a good place.

Qigong helped me get through a terrible time. I like Lee Holden. I could actually reduce the severity of a flare by using his DVDs.

At work - getting up and stretching and taking quick walk breaks whenever possible. I walk to another copier or get up and walk around the conference room, stretch my shoulders, etc.

As for your question about weights - I think starting lightly and using good form is a good way to test the waters and regain some strength.

Jessica Smith has a lot of free stuff on Youtube that might help you get back in the groove. See if your library has any Lee Holden Qigong videos, too. I wish you the best! There really is a mind/body connection between stress and the triggering of autoimmune problems. When I can keep my stress levels low through the above means, I generally have better days.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 05:37 PM  
PrairieGem

So sorry you're dealing with this! ((hugs))

I have an immune-mediated digestive disorder, and when it's flaring, I NEED SLEEP. It is the one thing I absolutely cannot skimp on. Medication, dietary management (obviously), stress management, etc also all play a big role, of course; but quality sleep is a HUGE factor for me. When I'm not flaring, I can get by on 5-6 hours plus a decent nap (not ideal, but sometimes unavoidable). But when I'm having issues, I seriously need about nine hours.

I know we tend to focus on all the things we should DO to help--what exercises, what books to read, what foods to try/not try... but while you're doing all of that, don't forget that REST (sleep) is such a crucial component of recovery. It's hard sometimes for busy go-getters and active people to make time to STOP--it's counterintuitive to our natural approach (if I could only get up half an hour earlier, I could get XYZ more done...). This was a really hard thing for me to let go of, until I was too sick to have a say anymore!

My exercise needs were different (and I personally didn't find that any particular workout did or did not affect my symptoms), so I'll let others give better input there. Of course, walking and sunshine are always excellent medicine, too! Do you like baths? Hot baths are therapeutic for my condition (the heat is relaxing for the muscles and can ease cramps), but I don't know if they're recommended for Fibro.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-14, 05:44 PM  
pollytc

Thanks for the replies. Regarding diet, I will go back to the stuff I need to eliminate.

In the past after coming off a flair, I remember doing the weights portion of Cathe's 4 Day Split, KCM's Split Sessions, and Jari's original Get Ripped. But since I'm not really a yoga person, can you give me some recs for beginners? Has anyone done barre workouts? I detest the slow moving workouts and dreadful soothing music....I guess that's why I don't click with these sort of workouts. But I would like to possibly try just one to see if it makes a difference.

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga