Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-14, 03:37 PM  
PLS

Dr. said NO more high impact workouts!

So basically I had medial and lateral tears of my meniscus. My knee has been giving me trouble here and there over the past years. Usually getting new shoes - for over pronation helps, but in the past 6 months my flare ups have been increasing, I just modify my workouts around how I feel but I don't skip them. Spinning and TR have been a blessing thanks to the suggestion of a fellow VF'r!

Friday I had surgery to do the repair and clean the knee joint up. While I was unconscious in recovery the DR talked with DH and one of the things he said is "if your wife still does high impact workouts, she has to STOP doing them immediately" Well, I was still doing Cathe's HIIT 1x per week but of course not since my injury- 3 weeks without a good leg workout that didn't cause terrible pain. And with the Cathe's I was modifying tuck jumps and stuff like that on the rebounder.

So here are some questions- yes I do plan to ask the Dr for his final ok. Is using the Jumpsport rebounder "too" much impact? My UR's will be going to the Salvation army because Yes I already know they are way firmer than the JS. Now, if the JS is soft enough- I see it as a useful tool for many things including balance. Do they have one with a larger mat surface where you could "possibly" do more cardio based moves with greater ease or am I looking for loopholes in this no impact rule. I know I will have to get rid of some workouts, possible quite a few, but, if the rebounder surface is soft enough and would not constitute being high impact once my knee is recovered I would rather invest in a larger rebounder than get rid of 1/3 of my workouts.

The doctor recommended elliptical or pool for exercise. I loved my ski machine and wore 2 of those out, might look for one of them, I have no place to put an elliptical. I have a Malibu pilates chair and have bee using it with the PilatesAnytime chair workouts and I like those, Cathe for weights, spinning - and TR for cardio. But I have a good 300 workouts down there and I know a lot are going to have to find new homes.

The frustrating part- this is a problem with my patella and the cartilage under the tip of it. My humerus/femur look great, a little wear medially but the shoes have been key with that part. At 47 I didn't expect to hear NO MORE IMPACT exercise! That includes running with the dog ;-( But I do want to use my knees for many years to come and I am really against Knee replacement- I seldom see the results being two identically matched leg lengths (I work in PT). Anyway, just feeling a little frustrated here with leg propped up doing ankle circles and exercises I Have been doing with my patients for a LONG TIME!

Grrrr!
Penny
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 03:59 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I certainly can't advise you - no one here can - but it was Mark Henriksen (of The Firm fame) who once stated that rebounding was not impact-free but impact-friendly. So if you truly stuck to gentle bouncing (aka as health bouncing) you'd probably be okay but if you plan to do your high impact workouts on them and jump around, then you might be better off avoiding a Jumpsport too, at least for some time. Just my 2c.

Good luck with your healing and recovery!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 04:18 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

deleted - it wasn't relevant to what you're looking for
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 04:21 PM  
dbclark44

I feel your pain girl. I had a knee scope back in 2010 from a meniscus tear and my patella has never been the same. I get those flareups you mentioned sometimes even when I modify a Cathe Low Impact workout and it took me a minute to realize the bike isn't good for me so I have switched to the elliptical. But don't sell low impact short because you can certainly up the intensity without hopping all over the place. I hope you have Cathe LIS in your collection because she does a good job of low impact high intensity on those workouts.

My ortho doc also told me to get in the pool for my knees and other than Meloxican and icing he won't even discuss any other options for me. So when I get flareups I ice immediately and I ice even when I don't have pain right after doing workouts that were knee intensive. It's been a long 4 years trying to figure out what I can and can't do and trying to get my HR up to a working level. But I'm getting there. The rebounder is a good option. I have one and sometimes use it to bounce or low jog to my Leslie's. I'm 55 and try and workout every day. My motto these days is just get off the couch and MOVE!

Good luck with your recovery and sorry you have to make such a drastic life change.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 04:40 PM  
horsemom2

The 550F Jumpsport PRO has a 5 inch larger diameter and a firmer mat because of 6 more cords. My Plantar fasciitis loves it!

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 04:41 PM  
PLS

DB2- I do have Cathe's LIS and LOVE it. I do that series and Xtrain a lot. The Dr. was surprised that the bike was not unpleasant for me, but I am up and down a lot. And to be honest since I got spin shoes it doesn't bother me at all. But I use my hand to clip my foot out instead of my foot. I think it is because I can split the work between hamstrings and quads.

I "know" that no one here can advise me. Not really looking for medical advice, that I will discuss with the doctor. But appreciate all of the input either way. I also know that the key to arthritis is to KEEP moving and that will be easy compared to not moving.
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 09:39 PM  
neatski

Gotta recommend barre. Intensity junkie here and I loved the lower body results from barre. It is completely impact free. The more you do it, the harder it gets.

It is so hard to have someone putting limitations on you, but it's great that there are so many knee friendly options out there. I hope you find something that clicks with you!

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-14, 09:45 PM  
intelsana

I could have written your post...I am in the exact same position. As neatski says above, barre is a great option! You can make it knee friendly and it can be very intense depending on how hard you work.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 02:35 AM  
ilovemybirds

I can sort of empathize with you. I've been dealing with knee issues since my 20s (I'll be 39 on Monday), and over the past couple of weeks, I've developed some bursitis in my right knee. At this point, cardio is really bothersome to that knee, so I've been sticking with my Margaret Richard workouts (which are great, by the way!). I'm hoping that over the next few weeks, I can ease back into my cardio routine, and my Body Pump classes.
I really hope you find something that works for you.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 11:16 AM  
Sara1000

'Health Bouncing' is where your foot doesn't actually leave the rebounder surface, I believe. A VERY gentle way to modify rebounder workouts, I would think, but still fun.

What about Cathe's Low Impact Hiit? It does have lunges and squats, which can also cause knee problems in my experience.

Also, regarding Barre, plies have bothered my knees at times. I think with plies, squats and lunges if you start with just a few and not too low and work up to more reps going deeper they are probably safe for most people.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact, low impact cardio, meniscus tear, rebounder, slide board