Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-12, 02:36 PM  
alisoncooks

Core Barre ~ Monica Hoekstra

EQUIPMENT NEEDED: a mat, a barre (or stable surface), light weights, small inflated ball

WORKOUT:
  • WARM-UP (3:25 min.): begins with typical LB knee lifts w/ arm movements, arch/round spine, a weight-shifting mini plie' (toe taps), side stretches
  • ARMS (7:25 min.): they use small weighted balls, but I used regular weights with no problem. Hoekstra coaches us to focus on the esentric contraction. Nice variety, hits the biceps, back, shoulders, triceps.
  • THIGHS (10:25): I'm not a huge fan of barre thighs, so I wasn't surprised to dislike this section...but it's your typical barre stuff. Standing at the barre, gripping a Fitball between the thighs. There are different thigh variations --diamond thighs (on toes, heels together, plie), parallel thighs (on toes), wide stanced plie. For each position, there are different movements (pulse, pelvic tilts, pressing thighs back, etc) and are accompanied by ballet arm positions.
  • GLUTES (~10 min): Also at the barre, reminds me a lot of Bar Method seat work but includes variations on familiar moves (standing leg abduction to the side with a bend and straighten, then an adduction toward the body, like in the original Pure Barre). There's also attitude lifts to the rear, a little plie-releve set in 1st, 2nd position, then passe'.
  • MAT SERIES (30 min total): the first 5 minutes are spent in pushups, triceps pushups, plank, down dog, side plank. Then you spend 17 min. using that little squishy ball in a myriad of ways to torture your abs. We get c-curve with the ball b/t the thighs, Barre3 type moves with the ball behind the small of the back, moves with the ball under the shoulder blades (a la Bender ball?), then under the butt for movements with the legs in the air. Then you flip to your side and put the ball under your ribs for quick abs and side-lying leg work.
  • STRETCH (8 min): Back extensions and basic stretches.

CONS:
  1. WHY ISN'T THIS DVD CHAPTERED?!?! 'nuff said.
  2. The delivery is dry, but reminds me of Burr Leonard in mannerisms (but Burr does a better idea at getting you into the proper position for standing thigh work).
  3. The TRANSISTIONS between segments are terrible. They fade to black sometimes DURING the final rep and picks right up ready to begin the next segment (which sometimes requires an equipment change and you're rushed) ==> annoying.

LAST THOUGHTS:
Overall, I liked it... but I don't know if I will use it too often. The arms segment was really good (for a barre dvd). I thought it was quite different than the typical barre arms (a lot into the upper back and biceps). I am sore today from using it yesterday.

The mat segment was also different and varied (and I love the multiple uses of the ball) BUT!!! the dvd isn't chaptered, so if you want to just do the 30 min. mat segment, you have to fast-forward.

So, there ya go = initial impressions/thoughts.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bender ball, core barre, monica hoekstra