Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-12, 08:27 PM  
isebelleg44

P90X2 Chest, Back & Balance

I finally went through and did all the phase 1 workouts and really liked them. There a few exercises that I had to modify, but I still got a good workout. I am annoyed that every single warm up was the same and that it is unbelievably long. Overall I enjoyed phase 1, especially Total Body.

I want to do go through phase 2 workouts and just previewed Chest, Back & Balance and am so disappointed! I am going to probably have to modify every exercise and do the hotel version! For those who have done this workout, what did you think?

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 09:21 PM  
Fitstick

I was frustrated too, it felt like I had to modify everything all of the time. I think phase 2 was more frustrating than phase 1 in that respect. I never made it to phase 3 but hope one day I can gather my patience and try them again...
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 06:04 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Double post.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 06:04 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I remember posting that the first time I did that workout I only got in like 1 or 2 reps per exercise. I had major DOMS the next day though, so I guess those couple of reps did something, but it wasn't fun for me. I don't like feeling frustrated during a workout. I really liked Phase 1 of P90X2, but C,B, &B really kind of killed Phase 2 for me. Also, I don't really get how doing those moves is so much more beneficial than other functional fitness moves.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:22 PM  
wookiemouse

I have P90X2 on my shelf to be started after my STS rotation. Can I ask why so many people are modifying? What are the major issues?

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 01:05 PM  
marmact

Is that the one where he starts doing stupid things like push-ups on four med balls? I modified around a lot of that by doing stuff that wasn't all about being the KEWLEST BRO AROUND. I guess some portion of his audience can do things like that (my brother, for example), but I don't even aspire to it. I mean, what is the point and why risk a broken nose?? There are other ways to work your core that are a lot less risky.

I liked a lot of the P90X2 workouts but will never do it as a rotation on its own. There are also several workouts I never reach for - this being one of them.
Old 07-11-12, 01:41 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Is that the one where he starts doing stupid things like push-ups on four med balls? I modified around a lot of that by doing stuff that wasn't all about being the KEWLEST BRO AROUND. I guess some portion of his audience can do things like that (my brother, for example), but I don't even aspire to it. I mean, what is the point and why risk a broken nose?? There are other ways to work your core that are a lot less risky.
That's the one!

When this workout comes up (I'm currently on Phase 1) I'll be modifying a lot!
Old 07-11-12, 02:27 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
That's the one!

When this workout comes up (I'm currently on Phase 1) I'll be modifying a lot!
I kind of had that thought at first but decided just to plop down and see how close I could get. To my surprise, I was able to do the push-ups on the 4 medicine balls without any problem. Give yourself a reasonable chance before you write these moves off. I think a lot of folks that train with weights and do the standard bicep curls etc without equal core work will find these very challenging. I've been there--- definitely have had times when I felt really strong coming out of a heavy weight lifting program only to realize my core wasn't worth jack squat But if you do a lot of suspension training, focused core work etc these moves really aren't that challenging. I think it just takes people by surprise when their limb strength (a lot of commercial programs focus on that) is so far behind their core strength. How many people do Cathe's weight programs but still can't do push-ups on their toes? That's where P90X2 excels in my opinion. It really helps your body move as a functional unit.

IMHO, I think there was initial disappointment in this program partly because heavy lifters had a spotlight placed on their weakness/vulnerabilities. Also, this program was designed to take it to the next level in terms of core strength. Basic level core work is already hard From my own experience, it takes a lot less concentration and effort to pump out bicep curls than it does to manage coordinated strength and balance.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 02:58 PM  
hulabug1

I really liked this workout even though I'm not a huge fan of push ups and pull ups- to me they are a necessary fitness evil That being said, I did the workout Monday and had DOMS yesterday and I have them still today. I did have to modify many of the moves but, I'm okay with that as I still got a great workout.
Do your best and forget the rest!
hulabug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:03 PM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
IMHO, I think there was initial disappointment in this program partly because heavy lifters had a spotlight placed on their weakness/vulnerabilities. Also, this program was designed to take it to the next level in terms of core strength. Basic level core work is already hard From my own experience, it takes a lot less concentration and effort to pump out bicep curls than it does to manage coordinated strength and balance.
That's an interesting point. My core is very strong, but these moves just aren't something I care to do - seems like a broken nose in waiting. But maybe I'll give them a whirl.

I think P90X2 is an EXCELLENT program. The problem is in the name and the marketing. People expected it to be a continuation of P90X which, as you note, has a totally different focus. I think they were just trying to capitalize on its popularity. I think that's unfortunate, because if it was marketed differently it would probably be a lot more successful.

Tags
p90x2, tony horton