Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-11, 10:12 PM  
daisysunshine

Red face Daisy On: Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt

Okay - So I've done this a couple of times now, and it is now time to write up a review. I received this as a gift from a dear friend of mine (Thank you friend) AND I have the Pilates Anytime Version. This Review is of the DVD version, though I am planning on reviewing the PA Version too (also given to me by a dear friend, and you know who you are too. Anyway - time to review.

We start off with an introduction of Tracey Mallett explaining the dvd. There are 6 sections: Warmup, Abs, Obliques/Buns, Thigh/Legs, Total Body Challenge and Flexibility.

The total play time of this dvd is little more than an hour when it is all said and done.

This is an interesting pilates dvd for me. Most pilates dvds I've ever done (mostly Bernadette Giorgi, but mostly anything Pilates based) has you do some form of "The Hundred" That isn't featured here. There are some moves that I've never seen in pilates workouts at all. (mostly found in the Oblique Buns Sculpt section - mostly the squeeze the ball and rotate your leg internally/externally) - I find that more in regular floor work, Tonique style stuff. So I would say that this dvd is a blend of genres.

I do this as much as I can with my ball. It's kinda awkward and sometimes I remove it and just do it without it. I've only done this workout all the way through once. (and I've done it three times this week).

The focus is mainly on abs and inner thighs. Though you work your entire body, that is where I mostly feel the work. (Obliques especially). for about 4 days I felt really, really tingling inner thigh doms. I usually poop out around the middle of the Legs and Thigh Burn (But to be fair, I usually start the session with some cardio).

My personal favourite section: Ab Series and Oblique and Buns Sculpt. She does do some rollovers, (my Waterloo). I don't really like the Flexibility section (but then when it comes to stretching for me I tend to Miranda it or do the stretch from Ultimate Pilates Workouts).

I personally feel that you DO need the ball (for this workout) because it really challenges the muscles. It's a bit uncomfortable though but you get used to it.

Moves You See are:
Teasers (1, 2 and 3)
Full Rolldowns
Rollovers
Scissors
Helicoptor
Frogs
Leg Circles
Dolphins
Roll like a Ball
Lying Star
Criss Cross
Front-Swimming

Some moves you don't see are
The Hundred
Star

I would give this workout a solid 8.5 out of ten. This is based on the fact that you get WORKED and I do feel my heart get up there, and this is also based on the doms factor. (light in the ab area, aware in the inner thigh area). Points are lost for the lack of stretching factor (probably spoiled with Bernadette and the Corps twins doing it through the workouts, not just at the end) and maybe not having a back up girl NOT having the ball. (even though I said that You need it for the challenge - especially the abs section, there are a lot of instances where it didn't need to be there).

Also - some of the moves in my mind weren't "Pilates-Esque"

But - I would purchase this (myself if it was not a gift) based on my experience, and I am doing it every other day this month. The Learning Curve Factor is Low (you pick it up really quickly). Challenge Factor is about a Medium (it depends what you put into it). I'm not sure if I'd flag this for a beginner (I mean I've been pilates-ing for a while - and heavy or not, I STILL can't do a freaking Rollover ) But I'd say yeah - this is great for the intermediate exerciser or those who are advanced but want a nice slow day.

Daisy gives this two thumbs up.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 03:33 AM  
topfitmama

Yay, Daisy! Thanks for sharing...
I am finally buying a squishy, hopefully a bit sticky or grippy ball to use with this workout. I was getting really frustrated with my smooth and slippery playground ball to do it (or Barre3).
Rollovers are not a problem for me, but those final teasers are a killer, IMO.
I love the stretch from this workout, almost as much as the one from Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body. I like holding the stretch and really getting into it, in no hurry.

I'm also glad you enjoy the Corp twins style

Now I really want to do a Bernadette Giorgi workout
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 07:30 AM  
trishthedish

Sweet! Glad its awesome! Thanks for the great review! I wonder if my Barre3 ball would work for this??? hmmm
Old 03-12-11, 08:28 AM  
Calistro

Would my beachbody yoga booty ballet ball work?

I have never used the ball, but I am contemplating this workout.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 09:24 AM  
topfitmama

I can't tell you what ball will or will not work, but you definitely want something squishy and with some grip. You will be doing exercises with it supporting your upper back (placed between your shoulder blades), under your tailbone and feet, and between your hands, knees and ankles. I found my slippery ball just slipped straight out from between my shoulder blades and under my tailbone. I hope the overball I have ordered will do a better job.

The Barre3 ball goes under your tailbone and behind your back, the two places my squishy and slippery ball doesn't stay, so I think it should be fine for Pilates Super sculpt.
Old 03-12-11, 09:33 AM  
daisysunshine

Barre 3 ball yes
YBB Ball for some of the moves, but none where you actually have to use it for your feet

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:06 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Daisy, you should definitely submit this workout to the reviews section if you haven't already!

I like this workout too; I find that I am enjoy doing Pilates more with the ball than without. Although I usually like Pilates mostly for abs work, I actually like Tracey's Oblique & Buns and Legs & Thigh segments the best; I think you can feel the abs in both of these segments! Originally, I liked the abs segment a lot too, but after doing the core work in Barre3 (which I ), I came to think that Tracey under utilizes the ball--ie, she mosts just holds it, whereas Sadie in Barre3 really incorporates it to protect the low back.

Anyway, just my additional 2 cents!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:20 AM  
topfitmama

Beth,
I also like obliques&buns and legs&thighs best, followed by the stretch. But I think I tense my neck and shoulders when I'm doing the legs&thigh with the ball under the tailbone. My neck has been bothering since I did that segment on Monday.
Does that happen to anyone else?
Old 03-23-11, 09:23 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hmm, Ruth, I haven't noticed that, but then again, I have chronic neck/shoulder tightness! Is your ball deflated enough? The only thing I can think of is that maybe you are up a bit too high...

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:25 AM  
topfitmama

Beth,
I'll try deflating my ball a bit more and see how it feels. Thanks!

Tags
barre3, mini ball, pilates, pilates ball, pilates mini ball, pilates sculpt, pilates super sculpt, tracey mallett