Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-10, 06:31 PM  
KathAL79

My current favorites (many of which have already been mentioned):

Jules Benson - I'm another fan of Total Core Pilates. I'm much more of a Pilates "purist" in that I don't normally care for Pilates workouts that bring in non-Pilates elements or tweak things beyond recognition, yet I adore Jules and think she has some great takes on things here, especially that side-lying leg series and related exercises. Yowza!

Hilary Burnett - Count me in as another fan of her Intermediate. That's the workout I always pull out whenever I've had a break of any length from Pilates, because one run through and I'm back. I like the Advanced, too, but you really need to know what you're doing with at least the int./adv. matwork series before tackling that one.

Ana Caban - I do like Ana. I have her Pilates for Abs, PM Pilates, Maintenance Pilates (which is probably my current favorite of hers), and one more that I'm forgetting right now.

Lara Hudson - I have her original 10 Minute Solution Pilates and her 10 Minute Solution Rapid Results Pilates (which brings in some of the apparatus moves), but my favorite of hers is definitely the 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball, which is IMHO well designed and actually uses the stability ball to its advantage.

Moira Merrithew (nee Stott) - I'm a Stott kind of gal. I learned Pilates via a Stott-trained instructor, and my current live instructor is heavily Stott influenced. I fully acknowledge that Stott videos are not the most exciting, but if you want to learn about form, they have no equals, really. If you want more traditional matwork series, look for the Intermediate or Advanced (the 3rd edition looks better, but the 2nd edition, if you can find it, has better instruction and chaptering). I also like Core Challenge and Strong & Streamlined, 3-D Balance and Superior / Ultimate Balance (Core Balance and Dynamic Balance are the less challenging variations), and Pilates Weight Loss Boost.

Brooke Siler - Element Pilates for Weight Loss for Beginners is another like Hilary Burnett's Intermediate, whenever you want to solid basics. It has an interesting "cardio" portion which actually makes for a nice warm-up dynamic stretch sort of segment.

Kara Wily's Element Slim & Tone Pilates is new to me, but I like it so far. Be forewarned that there's some jumping at the end, but you can just skip out early if that's going to bother your knee. (And fair warning that Kristin McGee's Weight Loss Pilates has some impact moves in there, too.)

I also like the Corp sisters and have their DVD, Pilates on the Go, which isn't my favorite but is still good.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 07:18 PM  
RedPanda

My current favourites are:

Lara Hudson's 10 Minute Solution Pilates on the Ball which utilises the ball very well, and includes a fantastic stretch segment.

Kristin McGee's Weight Loss Pilates - beautifully filmed with lots of Kristin's challenging little twists. The only thing I don't like about this one is the "cardio" segments which include jumping - I quickly realised I wear supportive shoes and a sports bra for a reason!

In the Pilates/barre fusion genre, I'm loving:

Suzanne Bowen's 10 Minute Solution Pilates Perfect Body which has a killer buns and thighs segment.

Katalin Zamair's The Method: Standing Pilates Blend.

I recently acquired 5 Day Fit Pilates which has several of Ana Caban's workouts on it. I've only had time to preview it so far, but it looks great - I'm a complete sucker for workouts filmed outdoors, and there's also a more stretchy and relaxing "PM Pilates" workout filmed indoors with candles which looks great too.
Old 12-13-10, 08:06 PM  
SpiritSong

I'm glad to hear that people like Lara Hudson's 10MS Pilates DVDs. I was in a mood and just bought "Pilates" and "Pilates for Beginners" from Mary.

(And as a side note, the payment on my order didn't work. Mary was available on chat, even though it was almost 8 pm, and got it straightened out immediately. Gotta love Mary.)
Old 12-13-10, 08:19 PM  
ADoll

I like the ones made by Lara Hudson and Jules Benson.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 10:41 PM  
shelleyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
The original MTV Pilates is about 35 min. and was filmed outdoors on a patio in Arizona (IIRC). MTV Pilates Mix is definitely indoors and closer to an hour.
Ahhh, thank you! I wonder if I can find that on amazon. I love outdoor ones and shorter workouts.
shelleyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 10:53 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

My favorites:
Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates
Fit Chic Pilates
MTV Pilates Mix
Winsor Buns & Thighs
Ana Caban Pilates for Abs
10min Solution Pilates Perfect Body
Various tracks from Istretch Combination that are pilates (especially the core/floor tracks on Istretch combination 3 and 6)

There are a few others I like, but those are probably the biggest standouts for me.
Old 06-04-11, 03:53 AM  
Lmg

I really enjoy Alisa Wyatt for pilates. She has beginner, intermediate and advanced dvds and downloads. I have her advanced download. It is challenging and fun with classic moves and some new twists. Always gives me DOMS! Check it out

www.alisawyatt.com
Lmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 04:01 AM  
imhere2dance

I just got Power Paced Pilates from Stott Pilates and I really like it!
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 05:55 AM  
RedPanda

Just adding that since I posted upthread, I finally got around to doing Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates, which I love!

In fact, I liked it so much, I went over to the VF reviews to see what others thought of it, and two reviewers said it was like Lizbeth Garcia's Shape Pilates workout, and I'm loving that too!
Old 06-04-11, 06:21 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I only have three pilates videos...

Winsor Buns/Thighs - the only Winsor pilates video I have liked I might add, but it's a good one, plus it's short under 20 minutes.

Quick Fix Pilates Abs - led by Keli Roberts, has 3 10 minute segments, like this one a lot.

MTV Pilates - led by Kristin McGee, focus is on abs but there is lower body work too, a good overall program and just over 30 minutes.

I no longer have them any more, but Hilary Burnett's Pilates Intermediate is very good, and 10 Minute Solution Pilates with Lara Hudson is also very good.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates ball, the method