Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-10, 08:55 AM  
michl43

Yin Yoga

After reading a recent yin yoga thread, I tried the Jennifer Kries Yin yoga from the library. Liked it so much I ordered one. It felt like a non-guilty pleasure, and so extra relaxing. I also ordered the Yin Yoga kit (Biff H?), and Paul Grilley's yin dvd. I just feel this is going to turn out to be a favorite practice when I just want that kind of quiet relaxation.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 10:00 AM  
dianestjohn

I also became intrigued with Yin Yoga after doing the Jennifer Cries dvd. I ordered Kim Eng's Yin Yoga and love it, I'd highly recommend it.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 07:13 PM  
spotted zebra

Here's the link to info about Kim Eng's DVD. You can't do a search on this forum for "Kim" or "Eng" or "Yin" (yoga); I can only find it by typing in "Eckhart". Seems a bit odd having to type in an instructor's spouse's name to find her DVD.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...hlight=eckhart

Kim's Yin Yoga and Angela Farmer's Inner Body Flow are the last two DVDs I obtained before deciding to take a break from getting anything for a while. They're both so good. I love yin yoga, and to date Kim's is my most used yin yoga DVD.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-10, 07:46 PM  
sherry7899

Hi,

Mary at total fitness dvd ordered the Kim Eng dvds. She had said they should be available in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing clips of both practices.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 08:40 AM  
KathAL79

Just a note: tag searches are more useful in these types of situations, especially if you have short words that form part of common words like "yin." I've put some tags at the bottom of this thread, and if others tag these types of threads that will make a huge difference.
Another note: when discussing yin yoga, Paul Grilley, the founder, so to speak, of yin yoga often comes up. I find you can pull up most yin yoga thread by searching for "grilley" in the normal search mode.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 09:20 AM  
Eibhinn

It's good to know Mary will be carrying Kim Eng's DVDs. I've wanted to check out some clips of them. I really like the idea of yin yoga, but have struggled to find any media I really click with.

I can only work with Jennifer Kries' stuff so much, and on her Waking Energy DVDs she gets you into the pose but then tells you to stay longer than they do, which sort of defeats the purpose of working with a DVD versus a timer and piece of paper.

I had Insight Yoga, but I found the practices a bit too long, and also too repetetive because IIRC she used Sphinx pose as a modification for other poses and also as a transition between them, and it felt like I was in Sphinx the entire time. Also, I didn't find the banter terribly helpful for me.

I got Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga and although I enjoyed his Anatomy for Yoga, the Yin DVD drove me INSANE. He does not stop talking the entire practice. Talk talk talk talk. And to be able to sustain this constant chatter he ends up repeating himself a lot.

I really enjoy Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch, but as many posts on Yin threads point out, it's not actually "Yin Yoga" proper as popularized by Grilley/Paulie Zink. It's just "yin" as in slow and quiet.

The only yin-proper media I've enjoyed is the Yin practice on Donna Helm-Yost's Flow and Yin. She's a great balance for me. Her modifications are offered upfront (Grilley will often wait until the second side, or several minutes into a pose to offer a warning that a pose is contraindicated for certain conditions/potentially dangerous and here is a modification you can do, essentially WAY TOO LATE). She doesn't talk just for the sake of talking, and I like the music, which is sitars. Helm-Yost is teaching a class which actually does have a variety of skill levels. Grilley emphasizes the different anatomy of his class members (which are fewer in number), but they are all insanely flexible yoga teachers, so those differences have nothing to do with varying ability/flexibility levels, but anatomical differences once one has stretched the muscles to their absolute maximum degree -- not an issue for the majority of the population. Obviously, I highly recommend the Helm-Yost DVD as much more accessible for most people, although the Yin practice is still long, as they tend to be (Yin = 70 minutes, Flow = 50 minutes, for a 2 hr practice if you choose to do them together).
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-10, 08:15 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Just a note: tag searches are more useful in these types of situations, especially if you have short words that form part of common words like "yin." I've put some tags at the bottom of this thread, and if others tag these types of threads that will make a huge difference.
Another note: when discussing yin yoga, Paul Grilley, the founder, so to speak, of yin yoga often comes up. I find you can pull up most yin yoga thread by searching for "grilley" in the normal search mode.
Thank you! It never dawned on me to use tags at VF, even though I've used them a lot at Amazon.com. This should make my searches a lot easier.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 08:49 AM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Hi,

Mary at total fitness dvd ordered the Kim Eng dvds. She had said they should be available in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing clips of both practices.

Sherry
Me too.
Old 07-04-10, 09:26 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Just adding a different perspective. I love yoga, long holds, and a more restorative focus, but I don't love yin yoga, at least the way it is taught, and explained, by Paul Grilley. I don't believe it makes sense to "stretch" the joints and I think long holds that result in an achey feeling at the joints are destabilizing and ultimately sort of dangerous.

I think you can modify yin yoga by making sure you're well propped (blocks, bolsters etc, you're not in any way twisting at the joints (i.e., your thigh and your calf should be facing the same way, not twisting at the knee), and you're not getting an achey feeling at the joint insertions. A stretch should happen at the belly of the muscle, not the joint.

That's my perspective, anyway. Other than that, I love the mellow vibe.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biff mithoefer, donna helm yost, hot body cool mind, jennifer kries, kim eng, paul grilley, paulie zink, yin yoga