Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-09, 10:15 PM  
LauraBella

...and I'm interested in Karen Voight's Total Body Training, esp since it has good lower body reviews. But, I read one reviewer (toaster? maybe) who said it wasn't exactly a pilates workout....
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
I'm actually very curious about this one. Collage seems to have it rated more advanced than many others (I think it's Int/Adv). Can't find a lot of comments on it yet, though.
Total Fitness DVDs has a much longer clip of Element Slim & Tone Pilates, over 5 mins long. It *does* look really good!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-09, 10:37 PM  
LauraBella

Heading there right now....
Old 11-08-09, 10:45 PM  
LauraBella

I WISH Collage or someone said something about the body part emphasis.... It looks pretty abs-y. But pilates is a little abs-y.
Old 11-09-09, 05:06 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Total Fitness DVDs has a much longer clip of Element Slim & Tone Pilates, over 5 mins long. It *does* look really good!
This is under $9 at Amazon now!

Denise

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 02:39 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
...and I'm interested in Karen Voight's Total Body Training, esp since it has good lower body reviews. But, I read one reviewer (toaster? maybe) who said it wasn't exactly a pilates workout....
I agree with Beth that Total Body Training isn't Pilates, at least not if your definition of Pilates is concerned solely or even primarily with the exercises Joseph Pilates designed. If what you didn't like about Jules Benson is her deviation from traditional Pilates, then you probably won't like Karen Voight's take. That said, Karen's Pilates workouts are well done and work your body in a way just like Pilates, even if she doesn't use the exact same exercises.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-09, 03:56 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise R View Post
This is under $9 at Amazon now!

Denise
Thanks very much Denise, I am going to purchase this. I love ab work and it is short enough that I can squeeze it in with another workout if time permits, Pam.
Old 11-09-09, 06:27 PM  
LauraBella

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I agree with Beth that Total Body Training isn't Pilates, at least not if your definition of Pilates is concerned solely or even primarily with the exercises Joseph Pilates designed. If what you didn't like about Jules Benson is her deviation from traditional Pilates, then you probably won't like Karen Voight's take. That said, Karen's Pilates workouts are well done and work your body in a way just like Pilates, even if she doesn't use the exact same exercises.

Hmmm.... I need to dig out Jules again, but I'm thinking that I disliked that it took you so long to get to the lower body stuff, and that it wasn't consistently challenging for me.

I know pilates is all about the core, and I like that moves initiate there...but I *need* my lower body work.

I had a REALLY rotten day. Maybe I'll treat myself to this one "just to see" if I like it or not. Maybe it's at least different? And it did seem to have nice lower body reviews.
Old 11-10-09, 11:30 AM  
KathAL79

Jules' is chaptered so you can get to the lower body segment sooner; I can't remember if Karen's is or not, but my guess is not.
If you can power through Jules' lower body segment easily, you're strong! How about adding ankle weights or a resistance band to make it more challenging? One thing about Jules' workout is that she moves pretty quickly, so you really have to concentrate to use proper form and thus feel like you're getting the proper amount of work.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-09, 09:25 PM  
LauraBella

Oooo, I COULD add bands!

(And, yup, I caved on the KV. Still (momentarily) strong on the new element one....)

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, standing pilates