Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-06-09, 01:04 PM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
I'm not familiar with Fit Chic pilates.... Need to check it out, but where?

I just did Ana Caban for the first time. Not sure what I think.... She cues well, and a few of the moves were challenging. But the particular dvd I tried felt awfully short---and I think I want something with more lower body work. (I did maintanance pilates for weight loss. Weird title.)
If you have Netflix, that's a great way to try out almost all of Ana's stuff. They usually have a free trial period, and their shipping is pretty quick (especially if you live near a distribution center).
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 01:30 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Check out the reviews for Fit Chic Pilates in the VF Review section. I think you're looking for something like Jules Benson's pilates dvd. If you're looking for lower body pilates work, I'd suggest Winsor Buns and Thighs or Winsor Power Buns and Thighs, and Shape Pilates Workout: Makeover Your Abs, Buns, and Thighs (this one, like Winsor Power Buns and Thighs, uses a band - it's included with the dvd though).
Old 11-06-09, 02:17 PM  
LauraBella

Hey~
Thanks, thanks, thanks!
More question: Are there TWO Fit Chic dvds? Or just two diff covers.... I found multiples on amazon....
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 02:32 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBella View Post
Hey~
Thanks, thanks, thanks!
More question: Are there TWO Fit Chic dvds? Or just two diff covers.... I found multiples on amazon....
2 covers - the same dvd. I think someone might have made a copy to try to market it as a different dvd because the original Fit Chic pilates was so popular that everyone wanted her to come out with another one.
Old 11-06-09, 02:38 PM  
LauraBella

Ah-Ha! Thanks!
Old 11-06-09, 03:50 PM  
KathAL79

Ana Caban usually doesn't have a lot of lower body stuff on her workouts; the longest is probably on Intermediate (from her older matwork series), which goes through one of the longest side-lying leg series I've seen but is otherwise not particularly challenging for the experienced Pilates practitioner plus has some funky camerawork (they sometimes flash to kind of a raw feed). Her workouts generally tend to be around the half hour mark, if even that.
Her Pilates Core Challenge that Naturallove mentioned is one of her longer and tougher ones. Personally it wasn't my favorite; the music got to me in the end. But the setting is gorgeous, and because it incorporates a lot of moves from the apparatus series it's a good complement to the usual matwork.

Speaking of appartus moves adapted to the mat, have you ever looked at the More than Mat series, which focuses on those exercises? They could be something different, although you'll have to be OK with voiceover and repetitive music. You'd probably be OK jumping in with the Advanced. You'll need to try the tutorial version once or twice, but then you can move onto the "Cardio Flow," which is a workout version of the workout with less set-up and instruction (sort of like what's on FitChic).
Mari Winsor's Winsor Pilates Maximum Burn Super Sculpting & Body Slimming is definitely one of the tougher workouts out there, and it mixes apparatus-derived and traditional matwork moves.

Katherine and Kimberly Corp' Pilates on the Go is like an extended version of the 10MS and QF, with segments more like 15-20 min. each rather than just 10 min. Denise and I wrote reviews of this one, and you can see them on YouTube and iTunes (under Pilates on Fifth). This is a lower budget production, and the upper body stuff isn't really Pilates, but it might be worth a look.

I also think Jules Benson's Total Core Pilates is a good one, especially if you're focusing on Pilates and similar disciplines, but you've said you didn't click with her. And I also have and like Pilates for Abs, 10 MS Pilates on the Ball, and FitChic Pilates.

One word of advice on the Hilary Burnett: her Advanced is only for those who are comfortable with the advanced Pilates matwork repertoire. She does very few reps of the exercises, and they require a good deal of strength, flexibility, balance, and control. It's not to be approached lightly. Her Intermediate is my go to whenever I'm getting back into Pilates after any break, because it's a good level of challenge with some great instruction that never fails to get me right back into the Pilates frame of mind. She doesn't have a lot of lower body or even upper body specific moves, however; she's more straight up matwork.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 05:04 PM  
LauraBella

I found Hilary's advanced on ebay for 2bucks and took the plunge. If I'm not ready for it, at least I'll have the fun of something to work up to!

I'm bidding on Fit Chick and Mari's Advanced Body Sculpting. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-06-09, 06:23 PM  
upperwests

Bernadette Giorgi is AMAZING!!!!! ABSOLULTELY LOVE ALL HER WORKOUTS...check them out on collagevideo.com
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 06:25 PM  
LauraBella

I have been curious about her ball workout.
Old 11-06-09, 07:33 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwests View Post
Bernadette Giorgi is AMAZING!!!!! ABSOLULTELY LOVE ALL HER WORKOUTS...check them out on collagevideo.com

I like Bernadette's workouts too.

Tags
favorite pilates dvds, jules benson, pilates, pilates ball, pilates band, standing pilates