STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 10:34 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
Anyone try this yet???
I caved yesterday (LOL) and I live really close to Mary, so I am expecting to get this one in a couple of days. I'll report back when I do.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 10:48 AM  
eastblvd

I have it! I've tried three of the five segments.

Really enjoyed it, though I've done quite a bit of Pilates in the past, and some of the exercises were *really* hard and challenging, which I enjoyed!
eastblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 11:11 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I just got this one the other day and tried it yesterday. Definitely glad I got it - it's tougher than the usual "10 Minute" Pilates but in a "different" way. I also really liked the instructor....

And of course, I got mine from Mary at TotfitnessDVDs!

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 11:14 AM  
naturallove

I'm glad that all of you are enjoying this one. The only thing that worries me is that from the look of the clips, Andrea is talking really rapidly. Did you find that you were able to absorb her cues and tips? Did you find her form pointers very useful?
Old 08-30-09, 11:34 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Argh! I was trying to convince myself I did not want that one but if eastblvd and Terri like it... resistance is futile! Off to place an order...
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 12:43 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Argh! I was trying to convince myself I did not want that one but if eastblvd and Terri like it... resistance is futile! Off to place an order...
Now THIS made me laugh - as whenever I see a new workout that Fuzzie raves about, I immediately cave because I know I'll love it!

Naturallove: I honestly didn't find that she talked too quickly at all - she does say "perfect" alot, but nothing that will drive me nuts. She actually gave rather good form pointers here and there, reminding you to focus on specific body parts while doing a specific move. All I know is that when I was done, I really felt "centered", and my core felt balanced and strong.

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 11:46 AM  
naturallove

My thoughts..

Here's my mini-review of this workout, which I just posted on my check-in.

This morning was the new 10 MS Pilates Quick Sculpt with Ball with Andrea Leigh Rogers (skipped the core segement), followed by CS 2007, Episode 17: Eccentric Strengthening. (At least, I think that's what it was called!) I liked the pilates workout, though I was really sore from reformer work yesterday and this made an already challenging workout much harder! Here's a brief review of the segments that I completed:

Total Body Toner-I actually had to take a rest during the 100 during the first segment, and I definitely didn't make it through the teasers! I liked how she used the ball to simulate footwork. The ball makes it 'harder' because you're forced to use your adductors and abductors to stabilize, but it makes it 'easier' because that stability will help you to keep you from taking the movement into your lower back. I liked using the ball for the open leg rockers as well. Fun! (But I also have flexible hamstrings! LOL)

Bun and Thigh-Again, I don't know if I was really just sore, but that bun and thigh segment was nasty--especially during the side kick series! I really liked the use of the ball here as a reminder of how easy it is to 'slouch' and lose touch with the core as we focus on getting the biggest ROM (rather than a correct one). She also does some bridging and rollouts on the ball. They're much more palatable here that on the stability ball, because this ball is much softer and smaller! LOL

Strength and Flexibility- This was probably my favorite segment. As most of you know, I don't really like pilates for abs workouts very much, because the tend to focus almost exclusively on flexion, and given that most people are already dominant and/or have tight quads, hip flexors, pecs, etc., I think this can exacerbate existing imbalances. That said, I love that this segment focuses on extension with exercises such as double leg kicks, glute raises. I loved the 'helicopter moves', which simulate barrel apparatus work.

Core Conditioning-The small bit of of the Core Conditioning that I did see appears to make good use of the ball. I've done some similar exercises with the ball before (e.g. TriadBall pilates) and I think this would be very effective for helping alignment and form and also upping the difficulty level.

Standing Pilates-I really enjoyed the standing portion, it does remind me of Classical Stretch with a pinch of Balletone. I really loved moves such as 'standing roll like a ball'. If you're really pulling back into a C-Shape and focusing, this will be HARD. I also liked the 'star move' as well. You also get some nice leg work in with the standing 100 and leg circles (unlike most of Miranda's leg work, you do an entire set of leg circles-front, side and back on the same leg, upping the difficulty). My arms were definitely tired too from holding them up. I didn't love Andrea's take on the rolldown. She comes down with a flat back and only articulates on the way back up. I'm not so sure her way is the best thing for the lower back, and I think it's more effective to articulate through the spine on the way down AND on the way back up. JMHO.

Final verdict: I also don't think this would appeal to purists (most mainstream vids don't anyway), but this would be a winner for the barre folks who like more reps and pulses to feel that they're getting a good workout. I can imagine (or speculate!) that Andrea's other workout, Xtend, might be a bit similar to her approach here. I don't see myself doing this very much over the next few months, given that I'll be starting some pretty intensive pilates training myself and there are other videos that might better enable me to directly practice the principles and movements that I'll be leaning in class. I do think this will be a great resource when I start teaching and want to incorporate small apparatuses in my classes (such as the ball or a magic circle).

About Andrea: Andrea gives good form pointers, but I agree that there are other instructors out there that give more subtle, nuanced cues. I have to say that I enjoy Lara Hudson much more as a pilates instructor, particularly in this 10 MS pilates format. Lara's a bit more chill, and seems to be more polished as an instructor. Andrea also says 'gorgeous' an awful lot! LOL (As an aside: I almost think the 10 MS dvds would work better if they had a separate segment where they went over the form and alignment for some/all of the exercises, so that people could get the most of the workouts. That said, Andrea's form is absolutely beautiful, and her classical training in pilates shines through on this tape.
Old 09-03-09, 12:48 PM  
BalleRina

Great review, natural! Thanks!
BalleRina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 01:06 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
I have to say that I enjoy Lara Hudson much more as a pilates instructor, particularly in this 10 MS pilates format.
I completely agree. I am very pleased that Lara has done the majority of the 10 Minute Solution pilates video in the series ([the original] Pilates, Rapid Results, Pilates on the Ball) and am disappointed when somebody else is chosen. I can't speak to Andrea Leigh Rogers but I strongly prefer Lara to Suzanne Bowen (pilates w band).

Tags
10 minute solution, andrea leigh rogers, ball, mini ball, pilates, pilates ball, pilates mini ball, quick sculpt pilates, stomach, stomach tension