Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-09, 04:35 PM  
herya

Element Pilates with Brooke Siler - the routine?

Could somebody please point me to a breakdown of Element Pilates with Brooke Siler (if it exists at all; I have a feeling I saw it somewhere but I can't find it now)? Or maybe you could just list the exercises she does in her series? I'm tempted to get it but if the sequence is very similar to mine I'd put it on my wish list for later (trying to be frugal... very hard).
Thank you!
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 06:07 PM  
KathAL79

Renee wrote a review of this one that's currently at the top of the New Reviews page; she doesn't list all of the exercises, but maybe it'll help.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 06:28 PM  
herya

Yes I've seen it thank you! I think I'm spoiled by all these break down reviews including yours BTW, thank you so much for your input - I take your work into account every time!
Old 02-13-09, 08:59 AM  
KathAL79

Ah, thanks.

I'm interested in this one, too, so I'm just as curious about the exercises. I sure hope someone is willing to break it down for us! (It may be a while before I can trade for it.)

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
Old 02-13-09, 05:00 PM  
KathAL79

Ask and ye shall receive...

OK, so I decided to see if my Costco was also doing the Buy 1 Get 1 Free fitness video promotion, and since they didn't have the 10 Minute Solution I wanted I got this instead. I just finished previewing it, and here's the short answer:
The first portion is different than other Pilates videos I have; it has standing Pilates moves plus more common strength moves incorporating Pilates principles.
The second portion is a standard beginner / intermediate classical-style matwork sequence that you could easily bump up to full intermediate by doing the full version of all exercises.

Here's the long answer:
*Pilates-conscious cardio (18.5 min.) isn’t just or even mainly cardio; it contains both standing Pilates moves and more standard ballet-based strength moves. I haven’t seen this method of introducing or reviewing Pilates principles in action elsewhere. It begins standing with Pilates breathing, shoulder rolls, arm circles, side (upper body) bends, windmill, twist w/ hands behind head, standing saw, standing sweeps (a dynamic forward bend), (plie) squat series (with a few arm & tempo variations), (plie) squat – windmill (2 variations), (plie) squat – twist w/ arms wide, (static) lunges (2 variations), active long low lunge – half split / hamstring stretch series, Pilates push-ups (knees bent, elbows narrow), star (side plank variation, bottom knee to floor), elbow plank – push-up (cf. dolphin push-ups in yoga), swan dive prep, counterstretch (aka shell or child’s).
*Pilates prep & matwork (29 min.) is a fairly standard Pilates matwork sequence. It begins seated with half roll backs, pelvic lift, head lift (what Stott calls “ab prep”; this is a crunch-like motion focusing on coming up w/o tensing the neck), modified roll-up (knees bent), hundred, roll-up, hamsting stretch, single leg circles (bottom knee bent), rolling like a ball, single leg stretch, double leg stretch, single straight leg stretch (sometimes called scissor), double straight leg stretch, criss cross (modified), spine stretch forward, corkscrew, saw, single leg kicks, side kicks (up & down, small circles, hot potato), heel beats & hamstring curls (transition between sides), teaser preps (2 variations), seal (first w/o clapping, then w/), full Pilates push-ups (elbows narrow), ending with standing forward bend.

It might be a bit before I give this a whirl since I recently got a few new Stotts, but I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't expect it to be among the most challenging of my Pilates videos, but it's a solid routine from a master instructor. Watching Brooke in action is just wonderful.

Old 02-14-09, 08:47 AM  
herya

Thank you Kath, it so appreciated!

The clip looks so well and I think I'll get this one and put some 10MS Pilates DVDs on my wish list instead.

I'm very happy to see that there are good Pilates videos being released still. Brooke looks like an excellent instructor and I need some motivation now!
Old 02-23-09, 05:16 PM  
KathAL79

Herya, I just posted my full review; it's at the bottom of the New Reviews page.
I tried this on Friday and really enjoyed it. It's very well done at so many levels: instruction, workout, production.

Old 02-23-09, 05:22 PM  
eastblvd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
Herya, I just posted my full review; it's at the bottom of the New Reviews page.
I tried this on Friday and really enjoyed it. It's very well done at so many levels: instruction, workout, production.
I completely agree. This is a fantastic workout that prompted me to buy Brooke's The Pilates Body Kit (which I believe I can modify upwards if necessary, but I haven't tried it yet).

I think this is a unique take on a standard Pilates workout that is executed wonderfully.

Which Stotts do you like, by the way?
eastblvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 05:49 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastblvd
Which Stotts do you like, by the way?
Pretty much all I've tried, although that's a fairly small fraction of their ever expanding line of videos. I'm very partial to Stott, since both of my live classes were with Stott-trained instructors.
I like Core Challenge (Level 3), which is from their at home series, meant for at home exercisers. Strong & Streamlined (Level 4) is fine, too, but it has more stuff on the wrists, if that's of concern to you.
I like their professional matwork series. I have the Intermediate and Advanced from the 2nd edition and am eying the 3rd edition versions of the same. These are pretty long, however, and are for the pretty serious straight up full matwork sequence fans.
I recently tried one of their newest ones, Pilates Weight Loss Boost; that review is just above my one for Element Pilates on the New Reviews page. That has 3 workouts that bring something different to the table, as Moira strings exercises together in mini series.

Later this week I hope to try the Intermediate Bosu; the few reviews I've read of it are fairly positive.

My next project will be their stability ball workouts, once I get used to using the ball and don't spend half my workout chasing after it!

Old 02-23-09, 07:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This video is worth it - if anyone hasn't been enabled enough - be advised that watching Brooke Siler in motion is like seeing the definition of Pilates played out before your eyes. Brooke "is" Pilates.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costco, standing pilates