Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-17-19, 07:57 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

it was a weird day. I had an infusion this morning because they aren't going to be in the office on my regular day. I came home, had lunch, and took a nap, which helped some. I'm really tired, but not feeling "hung over" like I usually do.

Paula - I hope that your DH got enough peace of mind that he can sleep tonight.

Anita - That's why I learned to edit the videos. When I mess up, I pause for a minute and pick up where I left off. Then, when I'm editing the videos, I just cut that part out. You could do that, too. Of course, I have lots of years of training experience and that's the mode I slip into when I film something.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 09:04 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

I got my haircut! Woohoo, I am just giddy having my short hair back! He did a great job and knows his stuff. He wasn’t sure at first when I walked in with a full head of hair and made sure I knew he was a barber not a hairstylist. I said you are exactly what I need.

Paula~i’ve been praying for your DH to find peace and to not worry. I hope you get some sleep tonight. I did YWA for Chefs and enjoyed it, it was very calming.

Laura~that’s great that DH recovery time has improved! I hope you have a good night’s sleep tonight.

Anita~that’s neat that they have a sofa kit. Go ahead and tackle it, you’ll do great! I noticed on my balcony that they have holders for pots which would be so cute if I had a green thumb. I could even string some lights during the holidays but I won’t. I’m kind of useless. 😂

Talk soon!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 09:18 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith Chair Cardio, the Leslie Sansone Mat Pilates, Yoga with Adriene Yoga for Beginners Mind. Thank you all for your kind thoughts for DH and me. I think we'll be sleeping well tonight. We're planning a couple of nights get away - I think we need it. We leave Thursay and will return on Sunday.

Anita, I understand about confusing the bulbs. The bulbs I have planted in the front aren't always sure what time of year it is - whenever we get warm weather and rain they bloom even if it's the dead of winter. But in my mind that's one of the perks of living in California. Did you try the leather repair kit?

Laura, glad this infusions went more smoothly than usual. You're a professional when it comes to editing for sure.

Mary, so glad you got a haircut you like. It's so hard to find a someone who can/will cut your hair just the way you like it. I'll give the Yoga for Chefs a try, it sounds soothing. Glad you're feeling at home in your new place and thinking of what you may (or may not) like to do there. Your description of watching the moon from your bedroom window sounds so nice.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 08:32 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

It's a rainy morning here... Should clear up in a few hours though. Hoping to give Gus a good walk today. Still haven't tried the couch repair kit . Maybe going to see a circus show tonight - its a one man show at the parking lot of my first circus - he does human cannon ball tricks and high wire tricks. Could be interesting!

Laura, maybe editable video would work with me. One of the problems I've had that was a factor in giving myself an early retirement is that sometimes gibberish comes out of my mouth in a conversation - it comes in waves and I haven't gotten a diagnosis yet as it comes fairly infrequently, but flares if I'm stressed like when giving a public speech. It's a reason I'm not talking to FDA or other regulatory services or participating in staff meetings any more... Writing like I'm doing in these internet groups still works. I'm thinking about talking to a doctor about it, so taking notes on when it happens these days. Glad you had a good bout with your infusions!

Mary, so glad you're happy with your hair cut! Do you have a before and after head shot of your hair? How big is your balcony? As I'm looking around at senior housing places, the balcony sizes really vary - some are too small to really get out and use well (about 4' deep). I love my current balcony with a table and chairs out there (12' deep). Nice that you have options to put up pots there - lots won't accept a hook drilled into the ceiling railing for hanging baskets . Lights out there would be nice - different colors for different holidays!

Paula, glad you and DH are spending some special time together!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 12:16 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It is an absolutely beautiful day here, sunny and on the cool side. Yay. I went to the YMCA this morning and did a good upper-body workout. My theme this week has been getting back into the swing of exercise after the two weeks surrounding and including the trip. Then, I went to the chiropractor and my back and neck moved a lot - felt great.

This afternoon, I'm going to work on editing videos and getting my website set up. I finally signed up for training through my website host company. I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure things out on my own and hope this will help me get things done. Now that I know how NOT to do it, maybe I can learn HOW TO do it.

Last Saturday morning, I dropped my parents off at the airport for a cruise and tomorrow I pick them up. It's a cruise to Bermuda, you know, the islands that Hurrican Humberto is approaching. I hope they can get back to Baltimore without horribly rough seas. I imagine the cruise company is keeping a close eye and will leave early, if necessary.

Anita - Yeah, having a porch/balcony is a great thing. That's why I love having put the windows up on our screened-in porch - it gives us ultimate flexibility for different conditions. I'm sorry to hear about your speaking issues. DH has had something similar happen at various points when his stress levels have been really high and his pain has been bad. Good luck with gathering your data.

Mary - Woo hoo! Congrats on the haircut. Are you doing a double-take when you look in the mirror or is it a return the look you already loved, so it's natural?

Paula - Have a great trip! I hope getting away is a good thing for both of you.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-18-19, 08:42 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Only "workout" I did today was a long walk with DH in the morning. Met friends for lunch. We leave early tomorrow for our get away.

Anita, one of the factors in my choosing early retirement was "shakes". Sometimes my hands shake and sometimes my head shakes without my realizing it. I did see a doctor who said it was inherited and there wasn't anything that could be done as long as it was intermittent and mild. Still I thought it was time to go before I started looking like a doddering old fool on the job - better to go too early rather than too late. Enjoy circus tonight!

Laura, hope your parents got home safely. I've always wanted to do that cruise to Bermuda. Not sure why, but DH isn't interested in that one. Let me know how yur parents liked it. Maybe I can get my sister to go with me. Hope the training was helpful.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 05:29 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Hello, ladies. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up. My mind is scattered these days.

Mary, it's hard for me to picture you in anything other than a pixie cut. Laura's comment about looking in the mirror and doing a double-take reminds me of my car. I was in an accident last month and had my car in the shop this past week. I got so used to the rental that when I went back yesterday to swap cars, I climbed in my car and thought, whose car is this? Ha! It was only a week! Funny how used to things you get.

Anita, I remember you saying one reason you retired early was issues you had with speaking, but I thought you froze up and couldn't think of what to say. I hope it's not a serious problem. I agree with you on the balcony. I would want a good-sized one too. And a nice view.

Paula, still thinking of you and your DH. I hope he is not as nervous now, although I can understand why he would be.

Laura, I'm glad the chiropractor helped you. I hope the training is useful and your parents enjoyed their cruise.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 09-19-19, 08:05 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on getting Gus his walk, getting a haircut and running some errands and then going to the circus show. For some reason he cut off ticket sales 24 hours before his next show, so I couldn't get tickets yesterday. I did take down my porch cover yesterday and will power wash it this weekend, but haven't fixed my sofa yet - sigh.

Laura, nice to get a good workout in! I should be trying to get some kettlebells back in here at home. I do have a friend that I'll be giving my 20 and 24 kg bells to coming this weekend at the circus - glad I can find someone that appreciates the heavy bells! Good luck with your website class - in some ways you've learned a lot through trial and error but hopefully this class will polish things off for you on putting together your videos. Hope your parents made it home safely!

Paula, I've got a friend here that has the shakes and one of my grandmas had it also. I'm hoping it stays mild to not affect your grip while eating or drinking. My friend is fine, but grandma needed help eating. Enjoy your trip with DH!

Dede, I still occasionally have dreams about my previous car. I'll sometimes get that remembrance when I get into my current car. Funny how quickly we adjust to different cars! I imagine I'll probably go to a small car (if any) if I retire to senior housing and no longer have to haul yard waste to compost sites.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 01:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

What a beautiful day - and in the 70s. Mom and Dad were right on time and had a good trip. They left Bermuda early to stay ahead of the storm. Otherwise, it was a good trip.

I'm starting to get my videos uploaded to YouTube so I can then post them on my website. It all takes longer than it seems like it should, but it's going.

Dede - Yeah, you do get used to what you use. When I've been in DH's car multiple times in a row instead of mine, pushing the button to start his car, I forget to put the key in the ignition of my car.

Paula - Bermuda is a good cruise. There are two main ports, Hamilton and the town on the other side of the island (forget the name). Often cruises will go and dock in Hamilton for a certain period of time and you use the cruise ship like a hotel room. They then go to the other side of the island and stay there for a shorter time. There is a hop-on/hop-off bus you can buy a multi-day pass for that will take you to all the main sights and beaches on the island. If you left from Raleigh, the easiest of those cruises generally go out of NY/NJ and Baltimore. It just depends on how many days at sea you want to have there and back. It's better to go later in the season if you a prone to seasickness because the North Atlantic is rougher in the spring than in the summer.

Anita - It's good you have a friend who will take and enjoy those heavy kettlebells.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 09-19-19, 07:44 PM  
Tiny

Greetings!

The past 3 WAH days I have been having issues with staying connected to the internet. It never happened before and I have no clue what happened over the weekend to cause this. My ex works in IT so I would always go to him but now I have to go round and round and explain what’s going on to a couple guys in our IT department. Sigh - sometimes I still want to punch the ex in his face.
I can still WAH as it corrects itself within seconds but when it happens continually throughout the day it gets very frustrating.

Laura~oh it’s just natural seeing my self with the shorter hair. Oddly I feel more confident with much shorter hair. I feel open and free. Glad ya parents made it back safe! A couple people at work didn’t even notice because it just fits me and they met me with a pixie cut.

Anita~my balcony is long and narrow, yeah i’d say about 4’ deep now that I just went out there again. No wonder I don’t see chairs out on the other balconies. It reminds me of the French Quarter balconies, just enough room to walk the length and stand at the railing to watch the crazy below. I’ll have to see if the other balcony owners put up lights this holiday season. The circus wedding sounded fun!

Dede~I know, me and long hair is just not a good fit. Yeah, it’s strange how fast we can adapt to things.

Paula~Wishing y’all a safe and wonderful trip!

Office day tomorrow as I have Active Shooter training in the afternoon. It’s kind of sad that this is now a training we need to go through.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote