Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-19, 12:33 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
At what age are you supposed to get the vaccine? I turned 50 this year and have my physical early next month. I plan to get the flu shot then, so I doubt you can do both on the same day?
It's normally recommended at 60. You may be able to do both the shingles and flu vaccine at the same time. You should ask. My husband got the shingles and measles vaccine at the same time and didn't have any reaction to either one. He still needs to get the second dose of the shingles vaccine.
Old 09-17-19, 12:52 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
At what age are you supposed to get the vaccine?
The CDC recommends it for age 50 and over.

I had my first shot a couple of weeks ago. My arm was pretty sore for a few days and I felt *off* the day after the shot (I had it at night) but other than that no problems. Hoping the second one goes as well.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-19, 12:54 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you Erica and Carol.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 05:55 AM  
amoodygirl

I had the 2 Shingrix shots. The first shot I was fine with some minor chills - took some Advil per the advice of the pharmacist. However....

Got my second shot 4 months after the first, as recommended. Within a week of getting the shot, I first started with soreness in the back of head, nearing the nape. Weird, I thought. The next morning, my face was blown up like a balloon. Tingling, sore to the touch. Went to the doctor and actually had two doctors look at me. I had a small swelling on the side of my neck, towards the back and thought it was a bug bite. Turns out it was a swollen lymph node. The first doctor had no clue what was going on and the second doctor came in and took a look.

At first they were afraid I had SHINGLES! I told them I just had the second shot and they poo-poo'd it, saying it was a dead virus and does not cause shingles. Plus, it was on both sides of my face and head and shingles usually manifests on one side only. So, they decided it was probably an allergic reaction. I'm an allergic-type person and never had something like this before.

They gave me a 5-day dose of Prednisone and that did the trick. I mentally went through everything I did, if I used any new products (none), no bug bites, nothing. So, my final thought (and my husband's) is that it had to be a reaction to the second Shingrix vaccine.

I am fine now and, honestly, would get the vaccines again. My husband had shingles some years ago as did my grandmother and it's really awful.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 10:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I had the 2 Shingrix shots. The first shot I was fine with some minor chills - took some Advil per the advice of the pharmacist. However....

Got my second shot 4 months after the first, as recommended. Within a week of getting the shot, I first started with soreness in the back of head, nearing the nape. Weird, I thought. The next morning, my face was blown up like a balloon. Tingling, sore to the touch. Went to the doctor and actually had two doctors look at me. I had a small swelling on the side of my neck, towards the back and thought it was a bug bite. Turns out it was a swollen lymph node. The first doctor had no clue what was going on and the second doctor came in and took a look.

At first they were afraid I had SHINGLES! I told them I just had the second shot and they poo-poo'd it, saying it was a dead virus and does not cause shingles. Plus, it was on both sides of my face and head and shingles usually manifests on one side only. So, they decided it was probably an allergic reaction. I'm an allergic-type person and never had something like this before.

They gave me a 5-day dose of Prednisone and that did the trick. I mentally went through everything I did, if I used any new products (none), no bug bites, nothing. So, my final thought (and my husband's) is that it had to be a reaction to the second Shingrix vaccine.

I am fine now and, honestly, would get the vaccines again. My husband had shingles some years ago as did my grandmother and it's really awful.

Diane
That sounds scary! I'm glad you are fine now.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 10:22 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That sounds scary! I'm glad you are fine now.
Me too but it was still so weird! And, of course, what bugs me more are the doctors poo-pooing that it could be the vaccine. Every person is different and their bodies react differently. My husband got the vaccines same time I did. He didn't get chills the first shot - and I did - and he didn't have any reaction to the second shot.

Diane

Diane
Old 09-18-19, 12:56 PM  
margaux

Just my two cents but it is now 6 1/2 weeks of Shingles hell!!! The old vaccine did not prevent this outbreak. I am now on Lyrica and a prescription Lidocaine pain patch at night, so i can sleep. I had maxed out on gabapentin with no relief and don't want to rely on the narcotics I was taking. Dr says he cannot tell me how long this pain will persist. The affected nerves are "hot". Everyone has to make a decision that makes sense for them, but I cannot wait for this to be over and find some normalcy. And when dr gives the ok, I will definitely get the new vaccine. I am taking no chances!
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-19, 03:36 PM  
Erica H.

Margaux - I am so sorry. Hope you feel better very soon.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-19, 05:52 AM  
amoodygirl

Oh Margaux - that is horrible! Hopefully you're on the upside of getting rid of them. Despite my reaction to the shot, I would do it again. I don't want shingles - or at least a bad case!

Diane

Diane
Old 09-20-19, 11:50 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yesterday afternoon, DH and I went in for our seasonal flu shots. I asked the pharmacist if they had any Shingrix in stock. He said they were well-stocked with the vaccine.

He then looked at me hopefully as if hoping I would have that shot, too. I declined as I am not brave enough to take on TWO vaccinations in one day.

He said that his Walgreens has had a very low demand for the Shingrix vaccine. But, a few towns away, they are often out of stock.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax