Old 07-23-19, 06:20 PM  
Scorpio6

Macaroni & Cheese--My Perfect Recipe

MACARONI AND CHEESE – MY PERFECT RECIPE
Carol Laitinen

4 slices hearty white sandwich bread torn into large pcs
8 T butter (1 stick) 4 T melted
0.25 C grated Parmesan cheese
Salt (I skip this, salt is in butter, Parmesan, & pasta water)
1 lb elbow macaroni
5 T all purpose flour
3 (12-oz) cans evaporated milk
2 tsp hot sauce
0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp dry mustard
2 C shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1.25 C shredded American cheese from a block at the deli (don’t use the pre-sliced)
0.75 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350⁰. Mix bread, butter, Parmesan in food processor until it is coarse crumbs, transfer to bowl.

2. Boil 4 qts water, add 1 T salt and macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 min. Save out 0.5 C macaroni cooking water, then drain and rinse macaroni under cold running water and set aside.

3. Melt 4 T butter in empty pot over medium-high heat until foaming. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it turns light brown, about 1 min. Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, nutmeg, mustard, 2 tsp salt. Cook until it starts to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 min. Take off the heat, whisk in the cheeses and the pasta water you saved, until the cheese melts. Mix with the macaroni.

4. Transfer the whole thing to a greased 9x13” baking dish, top with the crumb mixture and bake until cheese bubbles around the edges and top is golden brown, about 20-25 min. Let sit 5-10 min before serving.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 11:14 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
MACARONI AND CHEESE – MY PERFECT RECIPE
Carol Laitinen

4 slices hearty white sandwich bread torn into large pcs
8 T butter (1 stick) 4 T melted
0.25 C grated Parmesan cheese
Salt (I skip this, salt is in butter, Parmesan, & pasta water)
1 lb elbow macaroni
5 T all purpose flour
3 (12-oz) cans evaporated milk
2 tsp hot sauce
0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp dry mustard
2 C shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1.25 C shredded American cheese from a block at the deli (don’t use the pre-sliced)
0.75 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350⁰. Mix bread, butter, Parmesan in food processor until it is coarse crumbs, transfer to bowl.

2. Boil 4 qts water, add 1 T salt and macaroni and cook until al dente, about 6 min. Save out 0.5 C macaroni cooking water, then drain and rinse macaroni under cold running water and set aside.

3. Melt 4 T butter in empty pot over medium-high heat until foaming. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it turns light brown, about 1 min. Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, nutmeg, mustard, 2 tsp salt. Cook until it starts to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 min. Take off the heat, whisk in the cheeses and the pasta water you saved, until the cheese melts. Mix with the macaroni.

4. Transfer the whole thing to a greased 9x13” baking dish, top with the crumb mixture and bake until cheese bubbles around the edges and top is golden brown, about 20-25 min. Let sit 5-10 min before serving.
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to try this for my next family get together. I love a good mac & cheese!