Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-19, 08:24 AM  
bubbles76

Margaret Richard DVD Question

Hi! Has anyone used Margaret Richard's National Institute on Aging dvd? It looks pretty straight forward, and like I can modify it up or down. I know it has no music, but I've done the Unpluggeds with no problem.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 09:20 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Yes, I used it a lot when I had a hamstring injury a few years back. Most exercises are two sets of 15, and she moves slowly so you can heavy up the weights. That said, I'm guessing that most VFers would find it too easy, since the target audience is seniors.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 12:18 PM  
bubbles76

Joan it sounds perfect! Two sets of 15 reps and able to heavy up. Total body in under 45 minutes. What are the lower body exercises like?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 05-24-19, 12:58 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I think it's a little light on lower body, but it does cover all the main bases. All lower body is unweighted, but you could certainly add weights. She demonstrates the exercise first, so I always added those reps too.

Here's the progression:

Warmup (6 min, standing, with towel)
Lateral raise (she calls it an arm raise)
Chair stand (chair squats)
Biceps
Triceps extension
Shoulder flexion
Knee flexion (hamstring curl, standing)
Hip flexion (standing)
Hip extension (standing)
Side leg raise (standing)
Plantar flexion (for balance)
Cooldown, about another 6 min.

I always found the hip flexion/extension exercises challenging enough, even though they're unweighted, because the pace is so slow and deliberate.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 01:52 PM  
bubbles76

Hmmm...no back or chest work. Guess I could always add push ups or extensions when she does the second shoulder exercise.
Old 05-24-19, 04:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

copyright is 2000. I tagged this thread to view other threads that have discussed this video.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-19, 09:06 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I think have this dvd. I bought it ages ago for my mom. She's never going to use it (she now goes to semi-private in person fitness training that works around her limitations or does Leslie).

Does anyone want it? It no longer has the written exercise guide it came with but I can mail you the dvd for free. It came in a cardboard sleeve but I'll mail it in a square cd case for protection along with the sleeve.

PM me if interested.

***Requested***
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard, national institute aging