Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-19, 08:43 PM  
acey

Can't exercise for weeks :(

Hi guys,

Have any of you ever had a PICC line? I was in the hospital for a bacterial infection that lodged against my spine. I'm now out - but I have a wire inserted into my arm. It goes up my shoulder and over my heart. Three times a day, I have to inject a serious of solutions into it. This is for six weeks.

It's not supposed to be jolted or get wet. So I don't know how I'm going to work out, even when I'm feeling pain-free enough to do so. I haven't gone more than two weeks without exercising in 18 years!

Anyone have any similar experiences, thoughts, ideas??
Old 01-31-19, 08:57 PM  
wendug

Acey- I'm so sorry you're going through this! I don't have any advice, but I hope you are back to feeling better and exercising like you're used to soon!
Old 01-31-19, 09:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

So sorry Acey, what an ordeal, but I am very glad you are home & on the mend! I’m a retired nurse & familiar with PICC lines. They do require care & caution as you don’t want to dislodge it or snag it on something. Combine that with your body healing after a significant stress and I’d say take it pretty easy. You very likely will fatigue easily. I had major abdominal surgery a number of years ago and was sidelined for several weeks. It was very frustrating so I totally empathize. Best to follow doctor’s orders & err on the side of caution & avoid a possible setback. (((Hugs)))

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 09:59 PM  
Erica H.

I'm sorry, too! That sounds awful.

I had major abdominal surgery last year and had to take six weeks off from exercising. I'm a compulsive exerciser and this was so hard for me! But I got through it and slowly gained back my endurance and strength. Are you able to walk at least? I did do a lot of walking once I was out of the hospital (one week stay).

I just had carpal tunnel surgery so I have to alter my workouts again, which is frustrating after working so hard to regain my strength last year. Once again, I'll have to give up weights for quite a while and don't know when I'll get back to my heavy bag, push-ups, pull-ups, planks, spin bike, etc. I am trying to keep it all in perspective but it's tough!

Hang in there and take care of yourself!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-19, 11:11 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow Acey that sounds tough! So sorry to hear what you've experienced, hope all goes well from here on in.

I've no experience to share and never even heard of a PICC line, but I'm sure as Pam suggested it'll be best to approach exercise as cautiously as possible. You'll regain your full strength soon enough. Best of luck to you, and hope the inconvenience is minor!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 12:02 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Sorry you’re dealing with this! While I’ve never had a PICC line, I’ve been dealing with chronic fistulas for 3 years and have had 9 surgeries. The last one resulted in a terrible infection and I sported a nasty penrose drain for several weeks. After each of these procedures I’ve had to take anywhere from 2-6 weeks off from exercise and it’s always hard! But once you get back into it all goes well pretty quickly since you’re a regular exerciser. I actually enjoy creating “come back” rotations and plotting my progress. If your Dr says ok, I recommend walking as much as feels right for you. But rest is super important as well. You’ll be back, I promise and this will be a bad memory. Hang in here!
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 05:06 AM  
Terry

That stinks

Maybe you can get excited now about a major focus on nutrition and new healthy recipes, and excited six weeks from now because you will finally be able to do all of the easy workouts in your collection you've been saving for that day when you needed a re-start.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 07:29 AM  
sherry7899

I do not have any advice. I just wanted to send you some hugs. I am so sorry you are going through this

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:49 AM  
owltx

I am so sorry! That really sounds miserable. It is tough to be sidelined. You've gotten good advice here; rest and conservative approach. One thing I was going to suggest - now might be a good time to try some short meditation. For me, exercise helps keep my stress levels down. Without it in the picture, I would need something else. There are several apps out there - calm, headspace. I also love the idea of planning out your comeback rotation. Something to have on the books and to look forward to! Good luck!
Old 02-01-19, 10:25 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

Sorry you have to go through this. Best wishes for a complete recovery.