Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-18, 07:00 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
Sorry,again posted in the wrong post,don't know how to delete
You can't delete a post...you can only edit it. You could say 'sorry, wrong thread' or something like that.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 07:09 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Didn't read the entire thread so forgive any repeats. I've had many colonoscopies. I get polyps and then there was this lymphoma thing in my colon so, yeah, in one year I had 6 alone.

My very first colonoscopy many, many years ago was with some mild sedation that was supposed to put you to sleep. It didn't. I was groggy, awake, and in pain. Most people are fine with that method though.

For the past 8 years I have had Propofol (the stuff that killed Michael Jackson) which is very safe in a medical setting. It's magic. You are instantly out and you wake up completely alert and not groggy at all.

For someone like me, it's been a wonderful experience.....if you don't count the awful stuff you have to drink.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
An upper endoscopy (through the mouth) is very different than a lower (colonoscopy) endoscopy. They visualize totally different parts of the GI tract. The upper won’t ever visualize the colon and large intestine. It’s to look at the esophagus and stomach.
thank you for the info. when DH did his, he inquired about the UE, hoping to avoid the c-scopy, but all hopes were dashed when they told him a traditional c-scopy was what he needed.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 09:54 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
An upper endoscopy (through the mouth) is very different than a lower (colonoscopy) endoscopy. They visualize totally different parts of the GI tract. The upper won’t ever visualize the colon and large intestine. It’s to look at the esophagus and stomach. .
Lannette - do you know if they can see the small intestine with the endoscopy? I am having one done with colonoscopy soon and thought my doctor said he would be looking at my small intestine. I don't need my stomach/esophagus area looked at as far as I know.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-18, 10:20 PM  
bfit

You've already gotten a lot of good advice and information so maybe I'm not offering much here . . . I also hate sedation and don't react well to drugs, but the sedation for my colonoscopy was not bad at all. It was "twilight sleep" stuff. I was sort of aware of what was going on, but I didn't feel any pain. My understanding is that without sedation if you tense up it makes it difficult for them to finish the colonoscopy without really hurting you so it's best to have sedation. What they give you is nothing like full blown anesthesia. As for the stool test as an alternative what I was told (and this isn't necessarily the only way of looking at this) is that the colonoscopy is the "gold standard" for examining the colon. If you get a clean colonoscopy you're good to go. The stool test only tests for blood in the stool which can be caused by a lot of things. Also, in the instructions I saw for the stool test there was a very restrictive diet for a week leading up to it plus very picky instructions on how to collect your stool for testing. If you mess any of that up it can affect the results. I'm rather just do the colonoscopy and get it done with and be confident in the results.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 12:20 AM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I've had a number of colonoscopies (colon cancer in the family) and have always been sedated. Really can't imagine any other way, so I'm sorry I can't help in that regard. Personally, I enjoy the amazing sleep I have when I get home! But for all of you who have had colonoscopies -- has no one been offered Prepopik for the prep? It's magic! You only need to take two staggered five ounce doses and then drink a lot of water. I did find I needed to drink twice as much water as they recommended and also take the prep as early as possible, but it's soooooo much better than the half gallon of swill they usually offer (which I can't actually tolerate so that's how I came to Prepopik).

Best of luck Donna! And ask about Prepopik!

Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 06:36 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Lannette - do you know if they can see the small intestine with the endoscopy? I am having one done with colonoscopy soon and thought my doctor said he would be looking at my small intestine. I don't need my stomach/esophagus area looked at as far as I know.

Erica
Yes Erica they do visualize the first area of the small intestine and take biopsies. There is a procedure called a capsule endoscopy where you swallow a capsule that contains tiny cameras that transmit images to a recording device you wear in a waist pack. To mt knowledge that the only way to totally image the entire small intestine.

You can read about the various procedures and even download patient education brochures HERE.

If someone has had multiple surgeries it’s possible for old surgical adhesions to make it more difficult and possibly more painful to move the colonoscope up through the large intestine. I’ve (knock on wood) not had surgery and that’s one reason why I probably didn’t have more than one short bit of pain. My doctor was also extremely skillful and typically would have the scope reach the cecum (the furthest you go) in under 2 minutes, sometimes under 1 minute. The trip out is the easy part.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 06:52 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Yes Erica they do visualize the first area of the small intestine and take biopsies. There is a procedure called a capsule endoscopy where you swallow a capsule that contains tiny cameras that transmit images to a recording device you wear in a waist pack. To mt knowledge that the only way to totally image the entire small intestine.

You can read about the various procedures and even download patient education brochures HERE.

If someone has had multiple surgeries it’s possible for old surgical adhesions to make it more difficult and possibly more painful to move the colonoscope up through the large intestine. I’ve (knock on wood) not had surgery and that’s one reason why I probably didn’t have more than one short bit of pain. My doctor was also extremely skillful and typically would have the scope reach the cecum (the furthest you go) in under 2 minutes, sometimes under 1 minute. The trip out is the easy part.
\\

Thank you! I've had five abdominal surgeries and have a lot of scar tissue (which they suspect caused an intestinal blockage last year).

Thanks again for the info.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 08:53 AM  
Carol K

I just had a consultation for my second colonoscopy yesterday (I'm 60). I had no problems with the twilight sedation last time, so that's what I'm doing again. I didn't have polyps last time, but polyps are the reason that I would always have a colonoscopy rather than using the kit. Because they take those polyps out, colon cancer is the only type of cancer you can truly prevent. The polyps start out as benign tumors and they are very slow-growing, but they frequently become malignant. My stepbrother, who was a transplant surgeon, never had a colonoscopy until he was in his 60s and had symptoms. By that time the cancer had spread to his liver. Needless to say, he is no longer with us. But because of that, I had no problems getting my husband to go for his second colonoscopy after just 5 years, because he did have polyps. There were no polyps on his second procedure.
Old 02-24-18, 08:59 AM  
donnamp

Thanks everyone for all your responses, it is helping me to be less anxious about the whole thing.

Carol - I'm sorry about your step brother. We had a friend who lost his brother to a freak occurrence of colon cancer when he was in in his 30's. I know that is a rare age to get it.

I tend to agree about the DNA test/kits vs. the colonoscopy. I suppose the kits are good for those who will absolutely refuse to have the colonoscopy - I know quite a few people who feel that way and I read that only 1/3 of those who should be screened will do it and that 60-65% of all colon cancers could be prevented by colonoscopy. Those odds are what tipped my scale into deciding to do it even though I don't want to - but who does want to? But in the end, if you don't do it and end up w/ cancer it is so much worse.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps