Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-15, 10:50 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
How has she helped you?
Miranda's style of dynamic stretching has really helped alleviate my back and hip pain. For me, it seems to create more space for my muscles and bones. I am so darn tight, all the time. I have a few specific episodes that are my "go to" workouts when I'm in a pain cycle. Static stretching doesn't seem to help me...that moving across all the muscle fibers really works for me.

I also really like Jill Miller's "On Demand Pain Relief". Lately my shoulder has been acting up and I've been doing her upper back section. Her knowledge of anatomy and how to use those balls to our benefit works well to alleviate pain is amazing. I also like the lower back and foot portions of the dvd.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 10:52 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
What about the new Melt method does that count as rehab? I've been very curious about it but its out of reach financially for me right now so ill stick with Petorne balls and my foam roller with fingers.
Eh, this didn't work well for me. I don't know...the lower back release was ok but I didn't find the other sections worthwhile. I did the neck section and that was a big nothing.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 12:02 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Jill Miller's most recent ball DVDs have helped me improve my sleep substantially. I have chronic contractions and this relief is a large blessing.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 12:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Someone no one here (except Sharon from Brooklyn forget her VF name) knows: Jonathan Fitzgordon. He has an e-book called Psoas Release Party that has helped with my hip and glute pain. I also purchased his DVD of the same name but it was expensive and really didn't have much additional to offer than the book. But if you need a DVD it was helpful. One part is a discussion of anatomy and how things get out of whack and the other section he is leading a session of psoas releases. If you are interested let me know and I can send it to you to try.

I am also finding the exercises in Katy Bowman's books to be helpful.

ETA: Jonathon Fitzgordon is not my favorite necessarily but I thought I would mention him since no one else did. He actually has a radio show and interviewed both Jill Miller and Katy Bowman. I downloaded these but haven't listened yet.
Esther Gokhale has been mentioned here as being helpful for people with back issues although I have no experience with her.

ETA Again: It's SharonNYC. I learned about Jonathon from her. Thanks Sharon!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 02:20 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I found the two full length Egoscue videos on YouTube. The exercises don't match the book though...

Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 03:52 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by anik View Post
Hi Marya,

Could you possibly tell me how long this DVD is? Is it a follow-along workout or mostly instructional video? Where is the best place to purchase this DVD (other than at stabilitywithmobility.com – it looks like something is wrong with that website)? The price seems quite high, is it really worth it? Recently I have been having recurring knee and ankle issues/pain and badly need something that will help me with those.

Thank you very much in advance.
The Ginette Hamel Stability With Mobility DVD runs for two hours--yikes, I thought when I read the cover. But it's very well chaptered, and you can access individual exercises as well as complete chapters. Read the post by athompson10 in the recent VF foot rehab thread--she describes exercises with a stretch band that are similar to some of Ginette Hamel's: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=210331.

Here's another site where the DVD can be purchased for $49.95 Canadian dollars: http://www.theshoeroom.ca/stability-...tte-hamel.html.

Since I last googled Ginette, a brief YouTube segment has become available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNy1y16WDc. Also, there's a used DVD available from amazon.ca (for $89 ).

The DVD is both instructional and follow-along--mostly follow-along, but one cautionary note: Ms. Hamel is very thorough in her instructions, which she repeats for both sides of the body. I appreciate this approach in a rehab DVD because it enhances safety. There is almost always sufficient time to change positions, adjust props, etc. But the trade-off is the glacial pace. If you're not in a rehab or meditative mindset, it could be extremely frustrating.

Anik, if you'd like a list of the exercises on the DVD, PM me with your email address.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-15, 03:58 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've tried a few "Rehab Gurus" and have had mixed results. Even the ones I hear raves about either did nothing or made things worse. The one I keep going back to is JB Berns and his "Rehab Your Whole Body."

I can list some of the VF faves (in no particular order), but I am sure there are more! Who did I leave out?
I nominate one more guru for the main list: Suzanne Andrews (Functional Fitness series). Her Pain Free Back and Neck is my gold standard for neck rehab. She works the neck from every angle. (I haven't done the Back segment of the DVD because I seldom have back problems. To mix metaphors--neck and shoulders are my Achilles heel!)
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-15, 01:36 AM  
anik

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
The Ginette Hamel Stability With Mobility DVD runs for two hours--yikes, I thought when I read the cover. But it's very well chaptered, and you can access individual exercises as well as complete chapters. Read the post by athompson10 in the recent VF foot rehab thread--she describes exercises with a stretch band that are similar to some of Ginette Hamel's: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=210331.

Here's another site where the DVD can be purchased for $49.95 Canadian dollars: http://www.theshoeroom.ca/stability-...tte-hamel.html.

Since I last googled Ginette, a brief YouTube segment has become available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMNy1y16WDc. Also, there's a used DVD available from amazon.ca (for $89 ).

The DVD is both instructional and follow-along--mostly follow-along, but one cautionary note: Ms. Hamel is very thorough in her instructions, which she repeats for both sides of the body. I appreciate this approach in a rehab DVD because it enhances safety. There is almost always sufficient time to change positions, adjust props, etc. But the trade-off is the glacial pace. If you're not in a rehab or meditative mindset, it could be extremely frustrating.

Anik, if you'd like a list of the exercises on the DVD, PM me with your email address.
Marya, thank you so much – this is very helpful. Two hours of worthwhile video material can justify such a steep price, I guess. However, I’ve just watched that fragment from the DVD you found on youtube and you are quite right – the pace is not for the faint-hearted I am still considering buying this DVD, though (I am willing to try anything that might help me with my issues). Thank you very much for offering to email me a list of exercises on the DVD – I’ve just sent you a PM.
anik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erhard rohrmüller, esther gokhale, injuries, injury prevention, lee holden, prehab, rehab guru, rehabilitation, somatic yoga, thomas hanna