Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-15, 02:53 PM  
cpcathy

Eventmom, not sure if you've already mentioned in this thread, but how long have you had RA?

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

cpcathy: VF seems to be playing tricks on me --- I got an email with your question but can't find it on our thread! ok - now it's here!!!

Eventmom, not sure if you've already mentioned in this thread, but how long have you had RA?

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago. Probably had it at least 6 months before I got diagnosed. I suspect I had at least one other flare that I ignored (I can remember having nodules in my fingers, but when???). So not that long, last check up looked good but I'm finding that spring with the allergy load in OK seems to drag me down...
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:18 PM  
cpcathy

I only ask, I don't know anyone else with RA. I was diagnosed in 2000 at age 29, very severe, I wouldn't be able to walk without meds.

Old 03-04-15, 03:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I only ask, I don't know anyone else with RA. I was diagnosed in 2000 at age 29, very severe, I wouldn't be able to walk without meds.
wow! I think I'm fortunate that my case is mild. I can still compete my horse, although I take extra meds for competition and flirt with being out of compliance with drug rules for the sport. (meaning I would have to get a waiver and probably could - I'm in the category of you can get caught once and ask for an accommodation post hoc). But, I have no idea how long I'll be able to compete. But, at least I can for now! I'm early 50s, sort of a typically pattern for RA from what I've read. It was fatigue that sent me to the doctor - struggled to get through the day at work for months. Rest not helpful.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:36 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
To the OP: If you find yoga boring you might want to consider a live class. (Given your limitations maybe a gentle yoga flow or a chair yoga class.)

I didn't "get" yoga and found it boring too until I had the opportunity to accompany a friend to my first live class. It changed everything because there's a lot more focus on breath, mindfulness, holding poses, letting go of stress and paying attention to your body than can come across on video, IMO.

It also helped to have an instructor who could see me and correct any serious postural issues I had. I don't have Fibro or RA but I do deal with other pain issues. When I leave live yoga class my pain and stress are a lot better managed.

Good luck with finding what's right for you.
OP, I don't have your issues but I couldn't agree more with boukilisa's post here. We had a yoga studio come in and teach yoga twice a week at my job and I can't tell you how great it made me feel. It was at times quite challenging too, but the stress release factor was HUGE. A lot of studios have walk in rates so you could try a class without a big financial commitment. I wish you the best!
Old 03-04-15, 03:38 PM  
cpcathy

It's been a journey for sure, before I was diagnosed I could barely walk, couldn't make a fist, couldn't lift my arms, DH had to help me dress and put on my shoes! Thank goodness for modern medicine and the advances in rheumatology, I am like a normal person with only a few aches and pains every now and then. Still have to keep active!

Old 03-04-15, 03:43 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I've just started eating more meat (organic only) in the past month. I feel less hungry and don't have the urge to snack on sugar. As for dairy, I do notice (at least I think I do) that after eating Greek yogurt, my eyelids feel dry when I blink. I have Sjogren's and dry eye/dry mouth is a symptom. So at some point I may ditch the dairy as an experiment but eat everything else (except soy).

I noticed that any aches and pains I got went away once I started my bioidentical HRT years ago.
Interesting. I've been eating Greek yogurt these past two weeks and I am have eyelid hives. I thought maybe it was from petting my cats and then rubbing my eyes, which it still could be, but now I have to wonder about the yogurt.
Old 03-04-15, 05:47 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
It's been a journey for sure, before I was diagnosed I could barely walk, couldn't make a fist, couldn't lift my arms, DH had to help me dress and put on my shoes! Thank goodness for modern medicine and the advances in rheumatology, I am like a normal person with only a few aches and pains every now and then. Still have to keep active!
Mine is also severe. I've had it since early 30's. I could hardly walk shortly after the diagnosis, but I made myself wear sneakers to work and I shuffled like Ozzy. Despite the meds I've had several surgeries over the years but as long as I can work and earn my own living I am happy.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 09:19 AM  
Ann1964

Does anyone here have Meniere's Disease? Thanks
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-15, 12:27 PM  
CS_Margaret_Fan

Angry Fibro Pain-relief Exercise and Diet

Hello all. I was formally diagnosed with fibro in 2007, but my docs (holistic MD) and fibro MD, after extensive interviews and questionnaires) determined I've had the syndrome since I was six years old. I am now 53. Back in the day, this type of pain was labeled as 'growing pains'. I also have a host of other 'character building' diagnoses:
  • OCD
    • ADD
      • bi-polar
        • compulsive overeating

My method of addressing these challenges is to focus on the top two issues causing me problems each day. The ADD is an added layer of difficulty regarding consistency for the fibro and compulsive overeating. It is tough for me to stick with an eating approach for any length of time: I get overwhelmed by all the available choices.

Re: the fibro, I use the Classical Stretch workouts and Margaret Richard light weight, hi rep weight works which are performed without stress on the joints. For intense pain, I combine Classical Stretch with a light setting on my TreadClimber.

I have requested Wendy change my user id to CS_Margaret_Fan. I cannot do Cathe videos right now, and I have quite a few.
CS_Margaret_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoimmune disorder, fibromyalgia, gentle somatic yoga, james knight, somatic yoga