Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-11-12, 03:21 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
That's an interesting point. My core is very strong, but these moves just aren't something I care to do - seems like a broken nose in waiting. But maybe I'll give them a whirl.

I think P90X2 is an EXCELLENT program. The problem is in the name and the marketing. People expected it to be a continuation of P90X which, as you note, has a totally different focus. I think they were just trying to capitalize on its popularity. I think that's unfortunate, because if it was marketed differently it would probably be a lot more successful.
I noticed your "proud horizontalist" sig. If you've been at it for a while, I bet you'll surprise yourself if you do give them a whirl. Then again if you break your nose that would be a surprise (of the bad sort) LOL Maybe you should put a pillow down before experimenting

I agree the marketing certainly didn't help but over time I think people will see the value in this set. Word of mouth will change the expectations and people will probably go in more open minded. I think this set can take you new places and as far as the bigger commercial programs there really is nothing to compare for this kind of conditioning.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:29 PM  
Fitstick

I think that EnglishIvy made a lot of great points. Stabilizing on med balls, stability ball and the various pull ups were challenges that were so difficult for me. I think you need a lot of patience to do this program if your core is not so strong (I think this is a weak area for me). I got really frustrated that I could not do what Tony was doing, but if you are okay making modifications and working your way up, it is probably going to do a lot of great things for you.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 03:36 PM  
isebelleg44

P90X2 is very equipment heavy and I have a lot of fitness toys! I am annoyed at that super duper pull up bar they have. There are some moves that I can't even attempt, because I just have a regular pull up bar. I don't own 4 medicine balls, nor do I want to buy anymore, because they are expensive. I got really good at push ups thanks to the original P90X, but never managed to do an unassisted pull up and now he is throwing crazier variations in P90X2. Thank goodness for my Woody Bands!

On a side note. I did HC1 over a month ago and really struggled. Yesterday I did it again and it was much more manageable thanks to P90X2 phase 1 workouts! I think both these programs really add something to my collection that I was missing. And I have a lot to work up too! Cathe is so much easier in comparison!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 04:10 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishIvy View Post
Give yourself a reasonable chance before you write these moves off. I think a lot of folks that train with weights and do the standard bicep curls etc without equal core work will find these very challenging. I've been there--- definitely have had times when I felt really strong coming out of a heavy weight lifting program only to realize my core wasn't worth jack squat But if you do a lot of suspension training, focused core work etc these moves really aren't that challenging. I think it just takes people by surprise when their limb strength (a lot of commercial programs focus on that) is so far behind their core strength. How many people do Cathe's weight programs but still can't do push-ups on their toes? That's where P90X2 excels in my opinion. It really helps your body move as a functional unit.
Hmm.... you make some good points. You've convinced me to at least attempt these moves. I may surprise myself!

Note to self: Put pillow down first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I think P90X2 is an EXCELLENT program. The problem is in the name and the marketing. People expected it to be a continuation of P90X which, as you note, has a totally different focus. I think they were just trying to capitalize on its popularity. I think that's unfortunate, because if it was marketed differently it would probably be a lot more successful.
Totally agree. I think it's a very well-designed program, but should have been named and marketed differently. I think P90X: Performance would have been a better name.
Old 07-11-12, 07:13 PM  
isebelleg44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Hmm.... you make some good points. You've convinced me to at least attempt these moves. I may surprise myself!

Note to self: Put pillow down first!

Totally agree. I think it's a very well-designed program, but should have been named and marketed differently. I think P90X: Performance would have been a better name.

I agree these are nothing like P90X.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 08:05 AM  
jcmclean

I really like these workouts but I have wrist tendonitis from them. I have never had any problems with my wrists before after rounds of P90X, insanity (lots of push ups) and weight lifting but a few months of X2 and my left wrist is very sore.
jcmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 10:40 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmclean View Post
I really like these workouts but I have wrist tendonitis from them. I have never had any problems with my wrists before after rounds of P90X, insanity (lots of push ups) and weight lifting but a few months of X2 and my left wrist is very sore.
We tend to grip harder when there is a balance component added to moves and that can cause over-work in the muscles of the lower arm. That often translates into wrist pain since the tendons of these muscles pass through a narrow region (the wrist) in order to attach to the fingers/thumb. I had to consciously remind myself to keep my arms/wrists relaxed during some of the more demanding moves. I also stretched my arms (including down to the fingertips) and rolled my forearms (with a pinkie/tennis ball) if I felt that I had tension in them or felt DOMS in them the following day. That really helps and can prevent/treat wrist pain caused by over-work in these muscles. Building forearm/grip strength slowly can also help prevent problems.

I use these extra precautions for any program where there is a lot of increased gripping or forearm loading (pull-ups, heavy deadlifts, push-ups etc) so I don't consider this to be a special problem for P90X2.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p90x2, tony horton