Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-10, 03:06 PM  
neatski

Complex step- finally mastered ASC II with Seasun's help

I posted about 6 months ago about how frustrated I was with Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II- I never even got past the first combo- and I gave up after that. Well, about a month and a half ago, I discovered Seasun Zieger and now own Straight Up Step, Stepping Up and Rock Steady Step. Her choreo is TOUGH, but her cuing is so much better that I had no trouble learning it (in fact, learned all three the first time through!). Anyway, that gave me the courage to try ASC II again, and now that I'm used to all the direction changes and twirling from Seasun's choreo, I did it almost effortlessly! I was so thrilled! It is such a fun workout now that I'm not read to throw the step at my screen (and got past the first combo, haha)! I just wanted to recommend- if you think you like complex step but have been too frustrated with ASC II, GET SEASUN'S DVDS!!

So... besides Amy and Seasun, have any other complex step instructors released new DVDs in the past 5 years?

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 03:11 PM  
mj476

Patrick Goudeau - His last few were Not Your Momma's Step, Quick Step and Step Up. Quick Step is not that complex but packs quite a punch in 30 minutes. The other two are more complex. My favorite step of his is Step My Way. One you should stay away from is his B.E.S.T. workout - for me it was his worst.

Marcy
Old 12-20-10, 03:14 PM  
mj476

Another one I like is Pam Cosmi's Steppin' in Rhythm. Her accent is a little bothersome but it's a fun workout. Here's my review of it:

Very Complex But Enjoyable
I agree with the previous poster about her saying right when she means left and vice versa. I love challenging choreography and do a lot of it and this has to be the most challenging for me so far and I do Seasun, Christy and Patrick. I did not get this the first time through and definitely recommend previewing this before attempting it. The music was okay but I didn't even pay attention to it because I was trying so hard to get the moves. I would recommend this only to advanced exercisers who love complex choreography and turns, otherwise it could be extremely frustrating. -

Marcy
Old 12-20-10, 03:58 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

You might like Deirdre Morris' Tap Less Step More--IMO one of the most fun complex step workouts in recent years. The complexity level is on par with Seasun and Amy. Intensity level is on par with Seasun, but a little less than that of ASC 2. I think Deirdre's cuing is as good as Seasun, and much better than Amy's.

I also really like the Pam Cosmi Steppin' in Rhythm workout that Marcy suggested--lots of fun and interesting choreography. The music is a little odd in places but I tune it out.

Patrick Goudeau and Rob Glick have released step workouts in recent years, although I haven't tried their newer offerings. Patrick in particular can be very complex, although he usually saves the intensity for his conditioning workouts.

Although they aren't advanced intensity, the Evolution step workouts from Fitness Organica have complex and fun choreo.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 04:18 PM  
neatski

Thank you for the recommendations! Which is Patrick's most intense step workout? I'll check out Pam Cosmi and Deirdre Morris' workouts, too.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 06:30 PM  
TonyaC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476 View Post
Patrick Goudeau - His last few were Not Your Momma's Step, Quick Step and Step Up. Quick Step is not that complex but packs quite a punch in 30 minutes. The other two are more complex. My favorite step of his is Step My Way. One you should stay away from is his B.E.S.T. workout - for me it was his worst.

Marcy
Funny how we all have different opinions! B.E.S.T. is my favorite Patrick workout. There is definitely a learning curve, but I really love the chorography. I actually don't have the other two mentioned here, but I do have Step My Way and Step Appeal. I like them both, but not as much as B.E.S.T.

I also second the recommendation for Dierdre Morris. Very fun routine, and her cuing is excellent. I also love the music, but musical tastes are so subjective that this probably doesn't mean much.

Tonya
TonyaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 06:49 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Neatski, I'm missing Patrick's newer step workouts (NYMS and QS), but from reviews get the sense that these may be a little more intense and perhaps not quite as choreographically complex than his earlier releases. In his older workouts, Patrick tends to have step taps and other filler while he demonstrates the the moves. His step workouts are definitely not puke in a bucket routines, but Patrick is a lot of fun and very much worth checking out if you want complex choreo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaC View Post
Funny how we all have different opinions! B.E.S.T. is my favorite Patrick workout. =
Tonya
I've always liked B.E.S.T. too--the choreography in that one is a blast, and I like that it is only 45 minutes.

Last edited by Fonzie; 12-20-10 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 07:33 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Good for you! All of those workouts leave me scratching my head! I have a pile of advanced step workouts; Christi, Seasun, Patrick and some CIA's, but they're just gathering dust because I can't figure any of them out. I won't get rid of them because one of my long term goals is to learn advanced step. One thing they did help me with was after I conquered Rob Glick's Amazing Step Styles I was able to pick up on Cathe's Low and High Impact Step workouts from her 4 Day Split series without much difficulty -despite the horrible cueing Cathe does in that series!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asc2, complex choreography, complex step, seasun zieger, step aerobics