Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-17, 07:16 AM  
gwinter

Hi Lanette!

Do you mind sharing your results with Callanetics? I started doing Callanetics a couple months ago and really upped my sessions in March. I do it at least four times a week. There has been no changes with my body but I've been craving the workouts because it's all I want to do. Do you do any cardio with Callanetics and how often do you do Callanetics l. I have the online subscription and I use primarily Lacey and Callan workouts.

Thanks!
Glenda
gwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 03:54 AM  
Lannette

Hi Glenda,
The result I value most is that it's helped rebalance my SIJ and stabilize it. No more pain.

It's also slowly but surely changed the shape of my body. I noticed the LB first. My legs are moving toward that Classic Callanetics shape. My upper quads used to be really full but they are slimmer now. My glutes are approximating Callan's peach that she always references. DH and I laugh about my 2 pack, which is moving toward a 4 pack. I'm tight to the waist and my lower abs are pulling in step by step. My waist looks longer and thinner. Yesterday I noticed that my neck looks longer.

If you aren't seeing results and have streaming I suggest you check out Sandra's Foundation and Master Classes and Quick tips. I started out with the beginner WOs and the above form reviews and I am so glad. It really set me up for success. Aligning your check points and relaxing everything but the working area really helped me hold form to my best ability and that helped me see changes faster.

I love Lacey's and Callan's WOs but when I do them it's Sandra's form pointers I hear in my head and follow. That's not to say that Lacey's aren't good. I can just relate to and use Sandra's a bit better.

I totally know what you mean about craving the WOs. I'm the same way.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 11:31 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thanks for sharing your results, Lannette!

I have been LOVING the Callanetics Express DVD (I knew I would) and have used the lower body chapter a few times now. I love that it is only 25 minutes, moves fast, and has a generous amount of lower body stretching at the end. The other chapters look really good too.

I don't know if it's from Callenetics directly, or the Fascia blaster I've been using, or my cleaned up diet, but I've seen a half inch reduction in my thighs in about a two week timeframe. I pretty much started all of these in the last two weeks so it's hard what to give credit to but I was surprised by the inch loss (I actually measured since I felt like my legs are swelling from the blasting)
Old 04-11-17, 04:27 PM  
Lannette

Congratulations on your inch loss! I love the Express DVD for the same reasons! It really took me by surprise. We are doing many of the same things! Callanetics, blasting and healthy eating!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Old 04-21-17, 11:38 AM  
juliaf

A couple of questions:
Do you feel that Callanetics is enough for the upper body (especially arms)?
Do they publish any suggested rotations?
juliaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 12:51 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaf View Post
A couple of questions:
Do you feel that Callanetics is enough for the upper body (especially arms)?
Do they publish any suggested rotations?
I guess it depends upon what you mean by "enough." If you're talking strength I'd say yes. The newer workouts add a planks and push up segment. If you want to try it to see if it challenges it basically goes like this:

1. Left Side elbow plank times 30 seconds
2. "Float" to a front Elbow plank without breaking and hold 30 seconds
3. Walk up to straight arm plank and do 5 s-l-o-w (each 4 counts down 4 counts up) push-ups.
4. Float back down to front elbow plank (no break) hold 30 seconds.
5. Float to right side Elbow plank (Lacey tells you it's ok to drop your knees and reset) hold 30 seconds
6. Float back to front elbow plank without breaking, hold 30 seconds.
7. Walk up to straight arm plank and repeat 5 push-ups as above. (Agonizingly slow )
8. Take child's pose for a few seconds before moving on.

It doesn't sound like much but at that point you've already done the abdominal series so your core is feeling it.

The different WOs also do different versions of this sequence.

I've noticed functional strength gains.

Now if by "Enough" you mean hypertrophy for aesthetic reasons then it depends on just how big you want your arms. Callanetics is about lean, compact, strong muscles.

The only Rotation I know of is Callanetics Countdown. There are three increasingly difficult workouts with recommendations to perform each one a specific number of times.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-17, 02:37 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Congratulations on your inch loss! I love the Express DVD for the same reasons! It really took me by surprise. We are doing many of the same things! Callanetics, blasting and healthy eating!
Yea I'm so excited! And it's so cool we're doing so much of the same thing together! I'm still new to the blasting, and my fastidious healthy eating streak has only been about 2.5 weeks so far. But since starting these things over the past month or so, my hip circumference has reduced 2" which is astonishing. What I would consider my hip height also includes some low belly pooch, which I've been blasting especially thoroughly, so it's hard to say if it's from Callanetics which really hits my hip area, or blasting my pooch, or both (and the healthy eating has been helping me lose a very gradual weight too). But for only about a 1-2# pound loss I'm noticing visible results!

I predominantly use Callantics as a leg workout, but I'm wondering if I should give the abs and arms another try. Regular barre abs and arms don't seem to do much for me but Callantics is a little different.
Old 04-21-17, 04:10 PM  
Lannette

That's funny. I think of Callanetics as primarily core and ab work and now more arms because of the new planks/push-ups series. I hate leg work and so appreciate the fact that I get some leg work by doing it.

If I thought of it as leg intensive I probably wouldn't do it as often.

Old 04-22-17, 05:20 AM  
juliaf

Thank you for your answer!
I don't want any big arms at all - compact and lean is totally fine with me.
Pity about the rotations, I so enjoy not having to choose today's workout :-)
I've done some Callanetics before, including with Sandra at her old site, but never tried to do a Callanetics only time. Maybe I should give it a try..
juliaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 10:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Those areas initially looked worse. I road it out and stuck with the program and added first foam rolling now blasting and the excess is disappearing. I only noticed that yesterday when my workout pants kept falling down around my hips.
ditto this.

like Lannette, i've always responded well to callanetics. i think you should take progression pictures of your thighs and compare. Callan says pick an identifying mark in the pictures and observe how it changes.

it is high rep using just your own body weight. i also recommend making sure you do the stretching that is built into the moves. for example when you elongate, really take advantage of that.

you need to give it time too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, callanetics streaming, lacey kondi, pretzel, sandra hanna