Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-14, 03:40 PM  
Buzzer

some of those clips in the OP could have been me or things I've seen. It's not that it was part of my workout, but I was screwing around watching the TV at the end of my round on the elliptical and put both feet on one pedal. It wasn't a workout, but I have done that.

OR, like the one of the guy laying on a bench with his feet on something and rotating his arms... maybe he's stretching. I am guilty of non-traditional stretches sometimes, but they feel good.

OR, I was at the gym once and a guy was listening to heavy metal while on a bike, and belted out REAL LOUD part of the song. Then I think he realized what he was doing and stopped. I can see someone head banging or dancing if they were into their music.

Heck, once I forgot I was walking on the treadmill, I was so into whatever I was thinking of, and I just stopped. Of course, I flew off the back. Sometimes we get wrapped up in our thoughts and do stuff we normally wouldn't do in public.

I guess my point is that not all of it was jaw dropping and dangerous like the video implied. Yeah, people do weird things, but I really didn't see anything too dangerous that would warrant me to get my panties in a bundle. Some of the guys were lifting too heavy, but that's what guys do. The guy doing the dancing thing on the cable crossover... how do we know he isn't a gymnast or a couples figure skater or (insert another sport) in training? Just because they train different than us doesn't make it wrong or alarming.

I dunno. I guess I would snicker to myself about pretty much all these people, but I wouldn't have filmed them to make fun of them or thought they needed correction.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 03:51 PM  
northernlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
Ok, thoughts aside on filming people in a gym, the guy in the yellow shirt on the treadmill DID need to be shared with the world, now THAT'S how you treadmill!
Yes, indeed. Dancing treadmill guy is something to behold.
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 04:13 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
some of those clips in the OP could have been me or things I've seen. It's not that it was part of my workout, but I was screwing around watching the TV at the end of my round on the elliptical and put both feet on one pedal. It wasn't a workout, but I have done that.

OR, like the one of the guy laying on a bench with his feet on something and rotating his arms... maybe he's stretching. I am guilty of non-traditional stretches sometimes, but they feel good.

OR, I was at the gym once and a guy was listening to heavy metal while on a bike, and belted out REAL LOUD part of the song. Then I think he realized what he was doing and stopped. I can see someone head banging or dancing if they were into their music.

Heck, once I forgot I was walking on the treadmill, I was so into whatever I was thinking of, and I just stopped. Of course, I flew off the back. Sometimes we get wrapped up in our thoughts and do stuff we normally wouldn't do in public.

I guess my point is that not all of it was jaw dropping and dangerous like the video implied. Yeah, people do weird things, but I really didn't see anything too dangerous that would warrant me to get my panties in a bundle. Some of the guys were lifting too heavy, but that's what guys do. The guy doing the dancing thing on the cable crossover... how do we know he isn't a gymnast or a couples figure skater or (insert another sport) in training? Just because they train different than us doesn't make it wrong or alarming.

I dunno. I guess I would snicker to myself about pretty much all these people, but I wouldn't have filmed them to make fun of them or thought they needed correction.
I think the reason I laughed so hard was because a lot of those clips could have been me.

We all start out not knowing how to use those machines and do the exercises.

I have certainly bounced on my stability ball. It is fun to sit and bounce. I do some booty shaking between sets during my weight work, which is why I do it at home.

I'm not sure the point of these videos is to single out and ridicule people as much as it is to just enjoy it when people look a little silly. But that will be different for everyone.

The dangerous stuff was less funny to me. Pulling the lat pull down bar down behind the head is terrible for your shoulders. I saw a guy do that recently at my tiny little gym. I wish I could find a way to say something that wouldn't be presumptuous, but it's really not my place.

A lot of the bad form was just from guys trying to use too much weight, and not being able to complete full range of motion.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 04:25 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
The dangerous stuff was less funny to me. Pulling the lat pull down bar down behind the head is terrible for your shoulders. I saw a guy do that recently at my tiny little gym. I wish I could find a way to say something that wouldn't be presumptuous, but it's really not my place.

A lot of the bad form was just from guys trying to use too much weight, and not being able to complete full range of motion.
The lat-pulldown guy was the one who had me cringing. Between the behind-the-neck pulldown, how deep he was going, and that little bounce to build momentum between reps, I was expecting to hear the "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip" of one/both of his rotator cuffs at any moment. That's really the kind of stuff some trainer needs to stop, in a friendly "lemme help out with your form a little here, dude" way.
Old 08-29-14, 04:35 PM  
Chomper

Ok, I've watched some more of their videos and I have to admit that they are not as respectful as they should be. Sometimes people really are doing stupid crazy stuff that will get them hurt, and making up exercises on their own or cheating on exercises with momentum.

But there are also totally awesome ladies like this one that get lumped in with them and called "crazy." https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FZBkcr0CSq4
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 05:11 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Oh, dear. The Crossfit Fails hurt just to watch.
Old 08-29-14, 06:27 PM  
andtckrtoo

I think this kind of video is why camera are banned at most gyms. I also couldn't watch too long because it just seemed rude. Some people were just enjoying themselves. Seems more mean spirited than anything. Yeah there were some cringe worthy moves, but instead of ridiculing and filming, why not walk over and help?
Old 08-29-14, 06:31 PM  
afirmrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I think this kind of video is why camera are banned at most gyms. I also couldn't watch too long because it just seemed rude. Some people were just enjoying themselves. Seems more mean spirited than anything. Yeah there were some cringe worthy moves, but instead of ridiculing and filming, why not walk over and help?
100% agree. I would be pissed if someone filmed me at the gym.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awkward, gym