Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-14, 04:53 AM  
topfitmama

Because we haven't had enough thigh gap discussions already....

This (not so new) article explains some differences in how our lower bodies are built, and why pursuing thighs that don't meet might be an impossible and frustrating goal for many women.

http://www.jensinkler.com/close-thigh-gap/

Ps: this topic has gotten heated in the past. I'm not posting this as a jump starter for a debate for or against the pursuit of The Thigh Gap. The title of the article caught my eye, I read it, and liked the simple explanation of how different our body builds are. I'm sure these differences apply when it comes to achieving the Long And Lean Muscles Of A Dancer too.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 05:25 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
This (not so new) article explains some differences in how our lower bodies are built, and why pursuing thighs that don't meet might be an impossible and frustrating goal for many women.

http://www.jensinkler.com/close-thigh-gap/

Ps: this topic has gotten heated in the past. I'm not posting this as a jump starter for a debate for or against the pursuit of The Thigh Gap. The title of the article caught my eye, I read it, and liked the simple explanation of how different our body builds are. I'm sure these differences apply when it comes to achieving the Long And Lean Muscles Of A Dancer too.
I have a picture of me, taken on my 3rd birthday (1960), wearing a short plaid skirt. My little girl thighs meet and don't separate until a few inches above my knees.

In the 80s, I was an avid and ardent runner. I ran between 5 & 8 miles a day, and I was lean like a coyote, but I had to use Vaseline between my thighs to keep them from chafing.

While I have never had and will never have a thigh gap, I've never considered it a flaw and have been amazed the past couple of years with the growing obsession the public has with it.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 07:34 AM  
hotncmom

I was looking at a photo of DD (age 9) on the beach this summer and she had her feet about 8 inches apart and no thigh gap. She has a beautiful little body, long lean legs and a nicely shaped rear end, and she doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on her little body. I'd hate to see a future of poor self-image and dieting for her if her peers make her feel self-conscious of not having a thigh gap. No, it is not something you are "supposed" to have. No, if you don't have one it does not mean your thighs are too fat. I hope teen girls/women give up this nonsense before my daughter gets older.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 07:35 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Very interesting article! Thanks for posting!

I found the pelvic types very interesting. I didn't realize there were 4 different types. Just out of curiosity, I would love to know which type I have. (Wonder how you figure that out?)

I am pretty lean with long limbs and narrow hips, but can't easily touch my toes. When I squat, my upper body wants to lean forward.... I just can't squat as deep as some people. I was in an interval class the other day and one of the stations was squats with overhead press. I was pressing the heck out of some pretty heavy weights and squatting what is pretty low for me, and I notice across the room a shorter lady who didn't have the upper body strength I have so she was using lighter weights, but she was squatting so low her rear was almost touching her heels. I was in awe! I have never been able to do that!

Another thing I find difficult that seems easy for other people is sitting on the ground with my legs extended straight in front of me and sitting up perfectly straight. Also bending forward at the waist in this sitting position, as if to touch your toes.... this is tough for me too. I am sure it has to do with body structure, and in that same vein the pelvic type theory seems to make so much sense.
Old 08-28-14, 07:58 AM  
Chomper

I really like Jen Sinkler and almost posted this article myself.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 08:10 AM  
topfitmama

Jeanne Marie,
Your welcome! That's the reason I posted the article.

My body structure is the opposite of yours. I'm a meso-endomorph, 5ft 2" tall and a classic pear. I have no problem touching my toes when I bend over. I can get my hands down flat on the floor in front of me! But then I struggle with pigeon pose or getting my leg anywhere past 90 degrees when lying on my back stretching my hamstrings with one leg lying straight on the floor.

I'd never given much thought to bone structure or build and my ability to perform one exercise or another. It's so interesting!
Old 08-28-14, 08:22 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Another thing I find difficult that seems easy for other people is sitting on the ground with my legs extended straight in front of me and sitting up perfectly straight. Also bending forward at the waist in this sitting position, as if to touch your toes.... this is tough for me too. I am sure it has to do with body structure, and in that same vein the pelvic type theory seems to make so much sense.
I have the same difficulty. I always thought that was strange. It doesn't look hard. However, I can bend over and touch my toes without problem. While I am average height and fat, my limbs are very long compared to my torso and I have narrow hips.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 08:40 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I've always been amazed when I've seen very flexible women sitting in cobbler's pose or full pigeon with their knees way up in the air. I'm quite flexible in both poses but not so flexible over all (and not as flexible as those women) so I figured it had something to do with skeletal structure.
Old 08-28-14, 10:30 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I was looking at a photo of DD (age 9) on the beach this summer and she had her feet about 8 inches apart and no thigh gap. She has a beautiful little body, long lean legs and a nicely shaped rear end, and she doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on her little body. I'd hate to see a future of poor self-image and dieting for her if her peers make her feel self-conscious of not having a thigh gap. No, it is not something you are "supposed" to have. No, if you don't have one it does not mean your thighs are too fat. I hope teen girls/women give up this nonsense before my daughter gets older.

Oh me too!! My daughter just turned 7 years old. I know there will always be body image stuff out there hounding us women, but I sincerely hope this particular fad disappears before she hits her pre-teen and teen years. I find this particular fad especially idiotic, not that most body fetishes aren't idiotic but this one really bugs me. Especially for the reasons of bone structure and build differences making it an arbitrary trait.

Unrelated but sort of related to the thigh gap thing, did you guys know that a procedure exists where women can get a few of their lower ribs removed to create a tinier waist contour? I want to say I heard rumors years ago that a few celebrities had it done. SO cray-cray.
Old 08-28-14, 11:10 AM  
topfitmama

My daughter just turned 7 and her thighs also meet. She's strong, loves movement, has the endurance of a typical 7-year old. There's nothing fat about her but she's already been told by girls in her class that her legs are fat.

Tags
anatomy, thigh gap