Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-14, 03:03 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just skimmed the cellulite one... oh dear, she was so worked up about it! I do have a lot of compassion for fitness people, for how often they're judged for their appearance, their training methods evaluated based on their bodies. It must be very tough.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:04 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
And as far as the Spielberg thing goes, I'm sure she did respond politely and professionally and not let him see any kind of personal reaction, but let's face it, comments like that are hurtful. He was basically telling her that she had big, ugly thighs and he wouldn't want his wife to look like that. Who wants to hear something like that from anyone?
And along these lines I wondered who really was Debbie's client? Amy, because she wanted a trainer to help her reach her fitness goals or her husband because he wanted his wife to .....?
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:11 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The comments were rude and jerky beyond words, but I also think it's unprofessional to call Spielberg and the Motown guy by name
Why. Do rude people need to be protected?
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:16 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Why. Do rude people need to be protected?
Not so much. But when there is a professional relationship, I think ensuring privacy can be ethical (and classy). Trainers aren't doctors/lawyers but I still think there are assumptions that there will be private communications and certain rules of etiquette.

ETA: If a trainer blabbed about a star's cellulite or eating disorder, I would consider it very poor form. There is reasonable expectation of privacy and IMHO it shouldn't be broken just because the topic is offensive. Of course, it would be fine to refuse a job based on somebody being a total jackass.
Old 08-15-14, 03:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I suppose. But I think these celebrities or people in positions of power assume they can say and do whatever they want because everyone else is supposed to keep quiet. I guess that bugs me a bit.

I was confused by the cellulite piece. She basically spent the whole thing talking about the horrors of her life with cellulite and then tells us to accept ourselves.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 03:33 PM  
Bearybuff

Debbie has always seemed a sweet and sincere person. I took her positive spin on the client comments as a way of walking the line between Mean people and professional duty. Their "truthful" comments can be perceived by some as a wake up call professional truth or just plain Mean by some. Regardless of emotional spin, she used the comments to get better. I don't know if I've made myself clear, but instead of crying or falling into the Ben & Jerry's, she chose her own way of overcoming the comments. It may not be everyone's way, but it worked for her.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:17 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I don't admire what she said because she emphasizes size and says she changed to the light weights with high reps rather than the heavy weights she previously used. One problem I have is that using light weights and high reps is not the way to train to be strong and increase bone density. I know a lot of people like the light weight high rep workouts, and they are fine to increase muscle endurance, but not to make strength gains, which is very important.
I kind of thought the same when I read the article, and I think both kind of training have their place in a rotation. But, then she developped a program oriented to that aproach so... for her that's the real deal.

Quote:
I was confused by the cellulite piece. She basically spent the whole thing talking about the horrors of her life with cellulite and then tells us to accept ourselves.
I got confused at the end myself

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:18 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I just skimmed the cellulite one... oh dear, she was so worked up about it! I do have a lot of compassion for fitness people, for how often they're judged for their appearance, their training methods evaluated based on their bodies. It must be very tough.
That's so true.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

The first one reads as a big ol' ad for her way of working out, to me.

My (less than) 2 cents--I did Slim Series and I did slim down. Right now I'm running, cycling, doing yoga and barre, and my thighs are BIG, even though I'm a pretty small person. I'm OK with that--I know there's no way I could do these things and look tiny. It's what I'm doing that's my goal, not the way I look.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 05:54 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Not confusing to me. She hated feeling inadequate and in hindsight I'm sure she wishes she could relive those (somewhat wasted) years with more peace and self-acceptance.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, debbie siebers