Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-19, 03:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sleep update

i've posted about improving my sleep, and after several years of neglecting my sleep, i'm back on the trail again, so to speak, due to a workplace challenge called "Health Trails" sponsored by my employer and Kaiser Permanente. Kaiser used to call this program "Thrive Across America."

our company embarked on the program again, this time tweaking the goals: for 5 days out of the week, which runs from Mon-Sun, you must:
1) work out at least 30 min
2) eat 5 servings of veggies or fruits
3) get 7-9 hours of sleep

the 3rd one has been the hardest! but i needed this kick in the pants because i just rolled off a 2 year system conversion. my sleep was taking a beating.

i am happy to say that i feel so much better. and it's only been a week. i look forward to sleep!!

i'm enjoying more REM sleep, simply by the fact that i can remember some of my dreams.

i tagged this thread in case anyone wants to read past threads where i posted about sleep and the Thrive Across America challenge a few years ago.

P.S. my team (w/4 other guys) is neck in neck for first place with another team, total of about 20 teams across the company.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 06:45 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Good for you, and glad that it is working! Keep it up!

I hadn't heard of this program, but it sounds comparable to one that my last employer endorsed. It can be tough to get enough sleep, and that would definitely be the hardest of the three on your list. I get that much normally in total, but I get up to take care of animals many mornings and then go back to bed. I'm not sure how that affects me.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-19, 08:23 PM  
Bearybuff

Sleep is so elusive. I used to be able to fall asleep after a tall Starbucks! And I would STAY asleep all night. The change is not sleep friendly! Last night I slept for 4 1/2 straight hours instead of 1 1/2 hours. My night stand looks like a pharmacy, lol.

Good luck with the sleep department. I'm glad you are feeling better.
Bearybuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-19, 05:51 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm so glad you're doing well.

I've been trying to wean myself off sleep meds, but it's been a slow process.
Old 02-21-19, 07:37 PM  
videofit

I got a new clock radio that shows the temperature. Don't know how accurate it is but it's generally 64 degrees in the bedroom and I've been sleeping longer than normal snug as a bug in a rug under layers of duvets and blankets. Some of you might try lowering your thermostat.
Old 02-21-19, 07:54 PM  
sherry7899

I am glad you are doing better with sleep. That is wonderful!

I bought a weighted blanket from Amazon, and it has been helping me to fall asleep faster I think it also helps to keep me from tossing and turning as much as I usually do.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 08:18 PM  
Vantreesta

I love sleeping in cooler temps covered in blankets too. So cozy! Getting up is another story though!

Sherry, I have wondered about those weighted blankets but with my restless legs syndrome I'm not sure if it would be good for me. But like I said, I do like a lot of covers. Hmm. I wonder if this is part of why I don't sleep great in hotels, bc I'm not cozy enough?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 09:30 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am good on the sleep, and the regular workouts, but not the 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day I find that I sleep better when I am very active during the day, so I try and stay busy, and on my feet instead of sitting a lot. However, I am retired, so I know that this isn't really possible for those who work full time jobs. It is tough to balance everything.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-19, 10:03 AM  
BunnyHop

I wish I could figure out some reliable way to remember to turn the thermostat down at night. I love getting cozy under the covers.

The trouble comes the next day when I forget to turn the heat back up and take a chill. Lately it takes me forever to get warmed back up, which is almost but not quite as annoying as a hot flash.
Old 02-22-19, 10:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Sherry, I have wondered about those weighted blankets but with my restless legs syndrome I'm not sure if it would be good for me. But like I said, I do like a lot of covers. Hmm. I wonder if this is part of why I don't sleep great in hotels, bc I'm not cozy enough?
i read that RLS can be helped with heavy blankets on your legs. if you want, you can experiment with what you have at home before investing in a brand new heavy blanket.

i've been doing good with getting 7 hrs of sleep a night, however, last night, i wasn't watching the time and got to bed too late!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sleep, sleep help, workplace challenges