Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-10, 03:12 PM  
dickensgirl

Lightbulb Do you choose workouts/systems based on how the instructor LOOKS??

I swear on the holy VF sisterhood that I mean nothing snarky, BUT- do you ever find it difficult to buy a workout if the instructor doesn't look, well, that great ?! For example: I was looking at the newly posted clip of Leslie's Bootcamp, & , how to put this? After YEARS of doing her own walking workouts, presumably, she still sports some pretty major saddlebags...And while her workouts can help with weight loss, I just looked at that clip & realized I wouldn't feel very motivated. Similarly, & this is probably heresy, but much as I generally like Pure Barre, when I started recently to replace my defective original PB, I looked at Carrie in the clip & couldn't help thinking that her method doesn't seem to have done much for HER lower body, especially.
As opposed to say, Tracey Effinger, who got some criticism here & elsewhere for her rounder, not "cut" physique in the original Squeeze, but she apparently went into hyper-Squeeze for SS, where she looks awesome. Or Sylwia, the current VF darling, who TOTALLY epitomizes her own method's results (with a nod to genetics, I'm sure.)
I'm NOT trying to diss these women, all of whom have proved helpful &/or motivating to many of us at VF. Just wondering if this factor influences anyone else???
BTW: I struggle with the dreaded saddlebag syndrome myself, so seeing someone whose consistent use of a particular approach to working out, as opposed to the more "generic" type of instructors who do a little of everything, SOLVES the problem, is a huge motivation.

Pls don't hate me 'cuz I'm honest

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:22 PM  
cpcathy

No, not really, with an exception or two. I have a lot of Leslie's workouts, and her saddlebags don't bother me, I know some body traits are genetic, and besides, her waist is teeny and her upper body is toned, so, no worries there. The exception: I do not do Cathe's workouts because a) they are too advanced for me and b) she doesn't have the type of body I'd ever aspire to, I like curvy because I am curvy. But overall, no, don't really care what the instructor looks like; all the instructors on my videos look pretty good to me, and I mean, ALL of them.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:27 PM  
KathAL79

Actually, it never occurred to me to choose workouts based on an instructor's appearance until I started reading more about videos, including Collage's (old) forum and here.

I guess it all depends your main reasons to work out. I'm just more into being healthy and training to do my daily tasks and fun activities better, so appearance just isn't as high on my priority list.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:28 PM  
moonbeam31

Leslie really is tiny! Her "sadlebags" are tiny too! Everyone has their own body shape/type no matter how big or small they are. At least she hasn't gone and gotten a BOOB Job like SO many instrustors out there! ICK!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:28 PM  
bfj

Yes! I do choose the workouts based on how the instructor looks!
bfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:31 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Regardless of whether or not I personally agree with you (), we need to be careful how we post, i.e., respecting the following VF guideline:
Quote:
we ask that posters stay away from criticism of a particular instructor's (or cast member's) physique or other qualities that have no bearing on the quality of the workout
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:35 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I never really thought about it. But now that I am thinking about it... I think I would rather exercise with someone who isn't "perfect", but is enthusiastic and a good instructor, than with someone with an impossible-to-obtain physique and has no clue what real life is. You mention Leslie: well, I think she is real and honest, and I don't do her workouts to make myself buff, cut, or whatever else. Her workouts are good mood and happy workouts. And they keep me moving

But no, I never chose or discarded a workout based on the instructor's looks. I have, though, gotten rid of some because of what she was wearing
Old 04-19-10, 03:39 PM  
alisoncooks

Guilty. Here's a lengthy thread I started a while back....similar topic, I'm sure you'll make the connection .

I don't have a problem with all the different body types and my body is less than perfect (um, times x 35). But if a program says "blasts cellulite" or "lose those saddlebags" and the instructor displays those "imperfections" (those are exaggerations, obviously) then I am doubtful my results will be any better...

I do find inspiration from very fit instructors, even when their body type is different than my own...and even though I *doubt* I have the genetics to achieve that look (or the willpower)...

ETA: my problem is mainly with programs that make claims. Leslie mainly talks about exercising for fun, health, etc...so I am not distracted by her body.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:45 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

I don't hate your honesty, but I do think you should read the VF Guideline Lucky Star posted. This stuff can get into some pretty dodgy territory with regard to forum rules.

I find lots of different looks inspiring myself, so to answer your question, no, not really.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 03:51 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I like Michael Carson and Gilad's workouts .
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote