Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-19, 01:06 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Good for you having tremendous energy and motivation, but running is definitely high impact. For you it may not be high intensity but the impact is there.
Sorry, you're right in the most technical sense. I tend to equate "high impact" with jumping and plyometrics and forget that running qualifies as well.
Old 01-20-19, 01:07 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My heart says go - my joints say no.
(((Pat)))

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 01:48 PM  
ChelePA

I’m 47 and a cardio junkie. I love higher intensity. But this year, I have tried to change my workouts. More weights, circuit training and metabolic to mix things up.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:16 PM  
Hsim

Hi I'm 61 and still doing high impact. I can't do a whole hour but I can do 45 minutes and I can't necessarily do that 5 days a week but I'm holding my own and even progressing a little.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 02:29 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm still middle aged at almost 63 (I think technically "middle age" is until age 65) and do plenty of high impact, high intensity and long, hard workouts. Yesterday I did Lite Stacked Lower Body Extreme premix 1 followed by Christi Taylor's Totally Cool Cardio. My routine lately has been a weights workout of some sort followed by a cardio impact workout---either step or hi lo, sometimes kickboxing. I actually find the cardio that I do to be easier on the joints than the allegedly "joint friendly" gliding disks.

I definitely mix it up, but I tried to do so in my younger years as well. I'm very aware of some of my vulnerabilities and think that variety not only adds spice but also prevents some overuse injuries more common as I get older.

Running is definitely high impact. I find it bothers my knees, which is fine by me since I'm not a fan of it anyway, so I don't do it, never did for any lengthy period.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience

Last edited by cataddict; 01-20-19 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add one thought
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 03:02 PM  
AnMrsDe

Wow! So many inspirations here!!!

I am 58 and still CRAVE a good sweatfest! I will do high intensity workouts until I can't! BUT the trick is to keep your joints safe and happy, which for me, means doing most of the high impact exercises on my rebounder which gets my HR up higher than done on the floor. Win, win!

I do need to get back to taking a complete rest day and at least 2-3 days/week that include yoga/stretching to remain flexible and keep my joints happy...lately it seems I've been slowly getting away from my yoga practices and my body doesn't seem as happy. If only I could just take a week to do strictly yoga classes - but alas, I seem to think I always need those high heart rate induced workouts!!

I LOVE metabolic/HiiT workouts so that I can remain strong but still getting the cardio in there - even strictly weight work with a cardio effect (think PHA's!)--they just can't be beat.

However, I am so glad to have Cathe's LITE/ICE- so I can incorporate some less intense workouts in the mix as well - can't kick it up everyday! Being a seasoned exerciser, I know how to modify (esp. Cathe) for my limitations and still get the high calorie burns which allow me the "endorphin highs" as well as taking care of my aging body/joints.

(ETA an add'l thought): When my parents needed me more to care for them this past year, my workouts kept me SANE! I had to find time for *me* so I could take care of them. It makes me a better & nicer person, LOL, and in taking things up a notch just makes me feel like a happier person.

I think we all agree....we will be striving to work out well into our 80's/90's/100's!! But in order to accomplish that, we need to be mindful of our limitations and sometimes know when to "say when". Or in my case, take a recovery week!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 03:53 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Absolutely! I'm 58 and I run 5-6 miles a few times a week and on the other days I do Cathe weight workouts. I also get around by bike, so most days I cycle 5-10 miles. If anything, my workouts have gotten more intense over the years because I see cardio and strength training as the best tools for maintaining my mental and physical health. I'm lucky in that I've had no major injuries and none of these activities cause me any real pain or discomfort.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:44 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
My heart says go - my joints say no.
Hehe. Typical case of the "engine is running but the wheels are falling off" thing

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 04:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You are all so strong and amazing! I'll be 58 this year and my high impact is limited to workouts like Erin O'Brien's "Strong Body, Fit Body" with its short bursts of fairly gentle jumping and plyometrics... well, they're not gentle to *me*, lol. Otherwise it's low impact all the way for me. My lower back and joints have definitely stiffened a bit over the past few years.

I am working my way up to doing the new LITE series, though. My first real venture into the world of Cathe!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 06:32 PM  
marki64

Really inspiring people here. I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to exclude the 60 something age group as middle age. It is. I guess I didn't realize so many in their 60's here, that still bring on the intensity. I hope I continue to keep it going well into my 60's.

I actually hate being categorized as middle age, but that's the way it goes.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts