Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-19, 08:57 PM  
marki64

Just curious any middle age that still like intense w.o?

I read here often how most in their 40's and 50's do kinder and gentler workouts. Are there any middle aged people here that still like to jump and need to take breaks because the set was hard and you were out of breath? I like some yoga/pilates too, but I feel the best when my muscles still get a little fatigued and I get winded.

Just curious, how many 50 somethings here still enjoy the sweatfest? Or, am I of a dying breed?
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I did....when I was in my 40s & 50s...I’m 61 now and like my workouts low impact and only mildly sweaty.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 09:14 PM  
bubbles76

I'm 43 and I like my workouts sweaty. Hard workouts help me to destress and cause me to sleep like a rock. I also feel like my former military bad chick self! I wish I could jump more, but injuries prevent too much of it.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 10:19 PM  
Sara1000

Great topic!

I like to get breathing hard but can't do any high impact any more because of joint issues. It's a challenge to get my HR up but I have a couple of Jessica's workouts that combine walking and weights, plus some of Cathe's weight workouts that move quickly from one exercise to another that keep my HR up pretty well. I also use the high step topper for some of the steps in a walking workout. Leslie has a bunch of workouts that combine walking and weights or some other gadget that are intense enough for me but I'm kind of tired of Leslie right now.

I do a lot of walking outside but can't do hills so again it's a challenge to get my HR up.

I still do intense weight workouts several times a week. I either choose short ones or do only half a workout at a time. I could do longer but I don't usually want to. Just lazy I guess.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-19, 10:25 PM  
desderata

I'm 58 - I have had two serious knee injuries and surgeries, so high impact is out for me. I still do intense workouts - kettlebells are low impact, high intensity. My elliptical with intervals and proper resistance leaves me drenched and sucking wind. Metabolic weight workouts can do same. So I still love intensity, but have to get it in different ways.

We are so fortunate to have so many exercise options.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 03:45 AM  
Lannette

I’m 63.5 and thought my intense WO days were gone but I was wrong. I had an injury/muscular imbalance and needed to give myself the time to recover and rebalance. Now I’m in the process of ramping my activity back up and am loving it.

Where intense activity used to make me terribly hungry in my 40s and 50s, it no longer does.

I’m hoping to get back to the most advanced Cathe, T-Tapp and outdoor activities but won’t forsake the more gentle (Pilates, Callanetics, Barre) activities that got me to this point.

These days when I do a more beginner Cathe step or floor WO I find myself spontaneously jumping some of the moves. I’m lucky in that despite a life of joint impactful activities my joints are fine.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:08 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

61 here. I need high intensity but low impact. Still love burpees... but do them with sliders. I need the intensity for mental health. Gentle workouts are fine when they are planned but I need intensity (at this point with heavy kbells mainly) at least 3 times a week. The rest is fine with pilates, barre, yoga, spinning or rowing.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:16 AM  
muggle

Oh hell yes I love a good sweat fest!! No you’re not a dying breed, at least not in my opinion. I’m 53 and thoroughly enjoy it. Of course I can’t do Cathes Afterburn and Crossfire on consecutive days like I used to but I train smarter now. I am trying to embrace Pilates and yoga but I feel “off” and almost groggy if I don’t do something that raises my heart rate. I know Pilates and yoga can do that for people but I’m too antsy. And yes I have to take quick breaks and modify (hate tuck jumps) but if I’m feeling strong I’ll do them.

I’m happy and willing to challenge myself but also give my body what it needs when necessary. Plus like others....it helps my mental state to exert all that energy to be able to relax.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-19, 09:20 AM  
wendug

I'm 46 and still do high intensity workouts. I like to work up a good sweat and I feel so strong after doing these types of workouts. However, I've noticed it might take me longer to recover after an intense workout so I don't do them more than 2 times a week. I mix in weights and longer steady state cardio the rest of the week with yoga thrown in occasionally.
Old 01-20-19, 09:26 AM  
dianestjohn

I’m 61 and still do high impact cardio and lift as heavy as the instructor in whatever video I’m doing. I like variety so I change up the type of workouts I do daily so some days I do gentle things and some days HIIT or fairly heavy weights. did try a few Insanity workouts last year and did a couple all the way through but then gave up on the third one because I did not want to work that hard, but that’s an exceptional case I like to get through challenging workouts because in the back of my mind it makes me feel like I’m still healthy and vigorous.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, high intensity, intense workouts