Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-14, 07:51 AM  
flamingoo

Fall/Winter Walking Question

I can't believe I'm even thinking of winter,yuck! I feel in love with walking outside this summer. It's helping me in soo many ways, but now that the kids are back in school( yeah) I have to switch up when I walk. Walking is the one thing I can do right away in the a.m. I have no problem jumping out of bed and heading outside. Now, I have to walk earlier and it's pitch black. Any advice. Don't laugh, but am actually thinking about pepper spray. I have an ancient phone and it's huge so I usually don't bring it with. I'm also thinking about ditching the music/headphones. The other option I have is to walk after dinner, but things most likely will get in the way. Also, what kind of shoes do you wear when it gets yucky,snowy and wet. Do you wear some sort of boot or stick with shoes. Thanks!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:03 AM  
desie

Do you walk in the woods and fields, or on streets? I walk in private forest. I have a headlamp and a dog. I used to carry a whistle, and probably still should, but if I go far there is no one to hear it anyway. For me, rubber boots work best most days. The trails are slippery and wet.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:15 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
Do you walk in the woods and fields, or on streets? I walk in private forest. I have a headlamp and a dog. I used to carry a whistle, and probably still should, but if I go far there is no one to hear it anyway. For me, rubber boots work best most days. The trails are slippery and wet.
Thanks Desie. I walk on side walks/subdivisions. here aren't really any trails or forests around where I live so mainly city street walking. My 13 year old has a headlamp so I could wear his
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:37 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

My advice is a down coat for the winter with a hood. I walk in the city a lot but hate the cold and wind. My down coat lets me walk for miles. I often have to unzip it as I warm up, though.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:06 AM  
mspina

I'd recommend a headlamp, but other than that, just dress appropriately for the weather. I use my normal running shoes all year round, if it's SUPER snow covered, I'll pull out my Yak Traks.

I never run with a phone, and always run with music, year round.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:48 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to walk with a couple of flashlights that I used as hand weights (i.e. I did arm exercises while walking). I'd start out when there was still some light and then turn them on when it got dark. You could do the opposite. I like getting in a little upper body while walking. Carrying a phone is a good idea too.
Old 09-02-14, 10:04 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Something reflective! I commute at all hours and I'm amazed at the people out running/walking with dark clothing. There have been times when the only thing I've seen is my headlights reflected in their dog's eyes.
Old 09-02-14, 10:24 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Something reflective! I commute at all hours and I'm amazed at the people out running/walking with dark clothing. There have been times when the only thing I've seen is my headlights reflected in their dog's eyes.
Yes! Reflective clothing has made me see bikers, joggers and walkers from long distances when I'm driving, and I feel safer as well knowing exactly where you are, so that I don't inadvertently hit you.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 10:56 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I walk on sidewalks and just wear my winter boots if it's snowy/icy. I never never never walk with headphones in; I need to hear what's going on around me. I know someone who was struck and killed because she had earbuds in and couldn't hear people yelling "watch out!" when an SUV blew through a red light and was heading for her. I walk around the perimeter of a large park where there are loose dogs, cyclists, rollerbladers, bad drivers and the very occasional unsavory character; I want to hear them all coming.

Last edited by athompson10; 09-02-14 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 11:04 AM  
PrairieGem

I run with pepper spray; why would we laugh at that? There is a creepy lurker at my park. I am 99% sure he's harmless, but. You know?

I walked all winter at our park, wearing a really nice polarfleece jacket from Land's End over a wicking layer, etc, depending on the weather. They don't make it anymore (mine was way clearanced a million years ago!), but every year there is a similar incarnation. I'd troll through the reviews to find the right match.

Shoes-wise, wow--really looking forward to hearing what everyone says. This is one I've not yet fully figured out. I have the LL Bean winter walker sneakers, which *are* waterproof... but they are stiff & heavy and don't have enough cushioning (altho' they do fit my snowshoes perfectly!). Definitely NOT the "winter version" of my New Balance runners!

For walking at night, we swear by our headlamps! It's really made the experience so much more enjoyable.

I can't tell you how much I loved those blustery winter walks, especially on grey, drizzly mornings when it was just starting to snow. That *sounds* miserable, I realize, but there was something amazing about being out in it, suited up properly. So peaceful and refreshing--with the promise of a hot steamy bath at home afterward!

Enjoy your winter walks!!