Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-14, 02:09 PM  
PennyK

Any sedentary to fit success stories?

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 02:14 PM  
sunday

Me! Aside from a brief stint as a long distance runner in HS, before I gained weight and became obese, I was totally sedentary! Lost more than 80 pounds and started working out later in life at 44. Lost the weight through meno and everything. Also became certified in Vinyasa yoga through yoga teacher training; just did it for my bucket list though. Some pics are in my albums. For what it's worth I'm still naturally sedentary unless I'm working out.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 02:20 PM  
PennyK

Old 08-05-14, 02:46 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
That is awesome!!! And you are gorgeous in your pics and totally do not look like you ever were overweight!!!
Thanks Penny! Fortunately I know how to hide all my loose skin.

What types of workouts are you interested in? There are experts all over this board in just about every type of workout style! Do you have any plans for rotations, instructors, etc?
Old 08-05-14, 03:44 PM  
PrairieGem

I'm totally with Sunday on this one. Except for a lifelong habit of exercise, plus sporadic conscious efforts to be more active throughout the day, I spend MY ENTIRE DAY sitting down. I sit at work (I'm an author). I sit at the computer (like right now!). I sit with my elderly dogs & read, etc. I sit to sew/do needlework. It's kind of scary, actually.

I think it's CRITICAL to find exercise you like to do, whatever it is, and then tell yourself you're gonna do it, NO CHOICE (like taking a shower, paying your mortgage, and brushing your teeth). It's the NO CHOICE bit that will get you going when you'd rather sleep in... and the SOMETHING YOU LIKE that will sustain you through the workout.

You can also made small changes that will affect your overall health (even if they don't seem to make immediate and stunning visible fitness gains). All those things you've heard about: take the stairs, park far from the building, jump up a couple times an hour to get some water, etc. Run down the hall to your co-worker's office instead of shooting off an email. Stand while you're there instead of plopping down in the desk chair. Pace in waiting rooms. Put your computer on a standing desk, if you're ambitious (or a treadmill desk, if you're seriously committed!). I am experimenting with the former right now, because I've heard converts say they have more energy the more they stand, instead of sit, throughout their work day--and the more energy you have, the more you will NATURALLY be up and moving around! It's a double win.

Lastly, I think it's also important to realize that weight and fitness don't always go hand-in-hand. You can be overweight but active, with healthy vital signs and labwork... and you can be thin and out of shape. So know that every change you make to move more, eat better, and focus on your health is a POSITIVE one... even if it's not necessarily reflected in the mirror, today. I've been overweight about half my life, and have lost significant amounts of weight several times (most recently, ~20 lbs this summer), keeping it off for several years each time. But even when I weighed more, I still kept exercising--and I think it's helped keep me pretty healthy so far, despite all that sitting.

Joining VF is a great first step. Nobody's gonna motivate you to get moving or enable your new exercise habit like this gang. And we're all ages, weights, fitness levels, and tastes here--so whoever you are, wherever you are in your journey, I promise: You will fit right in here.
Old 08-05-14, 04:29 PM  
PennyK

Old 08-05-14, 04:31 PM  
sunday

That sounds great!! I never do high impact because of my knees! I also rarely - anymore - do dedicated cardio. Right now I'm exploring lots of yoga and That Girl London's body weight rotations.
Old 08-05-14, 05:09 PM  
pharma_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
That sounds great!! I never do high impact because of my knees! I also rarely - anymore - do dedicated cardio. Right now I'm exploring lots of yoga and That Girl London's body weight rotations.
What is That Girl london's workouts?
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 05:21 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
What is That Girl london's workouts?
They are essentially paper workouts demonstrated by moving GIFs. Go to the online section to read about them.

http://thatgirllondon.com/
Old 08-05-14, 07:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
That is awesome!!! And you are gorgeous in your pics and totally do not look like you ever were overweight!!!
I agree, you do look awesome Deana!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit, sedentary, success stories