Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-13, 02:15 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Maybe one way to deal with OT is never to reply to them. You can always PM someone who's posted an OT query if you have a suggestion. If people don't reply to the OT thread, it will fall off the front page and die a natural death .
Old 11-03-13, 02:26 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
If you use the New Post functionality, you never see the stickies. I'm just sayin...

I'm of mixed thoughts about this topic. I agree that the OT threads need to be cut down. However, in recent months, I have seen so many threads marked as OT that aren't. They are about fitness or health or some related topic. They may not be about a video workout, but they are still on topic. Is it just me?
I have seen some threads that are not OT but marked OT but I've seen many more OT threads that really are OT. Especially the last few months.
Old 11-03-13, 02:26 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie F. View Post
Maybe one way to deal with OT is never to reply to them. You can always PM someone who's posted an OT query if you have a suggestion. If people don't reply to the OT thread, it will fall of the front page and die a natural death .
Great idea!
Old 11-03-13, 02:31 PM  
hotncmom

Well, I would hate to discourage people who are struggling with non-health related issues from posting about it. This may be the only message board/online community for some of us. It's hard to tells someone to just go elsewhere to post when something happens they need support or opinions for. For instance, my dog has cancer (which I posted about in an OT thread), where else am I going to post when she dies? This is the only forum I'm a member of.

It's OK to post about the death of a fitness instructor here, but if one of our members has a parent struggling with Alzheimer's, is dealing with anxiety, or has a child with ADHD, I don't think that should be something they feel like they can't get support for here.

I understand there are some things like other hobbies that wouldn't be appropriate to post about here - like look at this sweater I knitted or hey, I'm going to see (insert name of band).

Maybe to keep down the number of threads we can have an open thread for emotional support/advice instead? I don't like the idea of us not responding to an OT thread on principle.
Old 11-03-13, 02:33 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I agree, Laura. I see tons of threads listed as OT that I believe are definitely on-topic. Anything health and wellness related is on-topic.
It's one thing if someone's asking "what workouts/exercises did you find helpful when recovering from x" but I think it's disturbing when people want VFers to diagnose their medical conditions.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 11-03-13, 02:39 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

Maybe to keep down the number of threads we can have an open thread for emotional support/advice instead? I don't like the idea of us not responding to an OT thread on principle.
One thing you can do is join a check-in, or start one. That's like having a small group of friends with whom you can discuss general, life issues.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 11-03-13, 02:42 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
It's OK to post about the death of a fitness instructor here, but if one of our members has a parent struggling with Alzheimer's, is dealing with anxiety, or has a child with ADHD, I don't think that should be something they feel like they can't get support for here.
Well, I think depending on how the post is framed, I think some of those topics could be on-topic... getting appropriate activity for a child with ADHD and how that affects the child, how exercise and other lifestyle changes help with anxiety, etc.

I certainly don't mean to sound insensitive, but I really think support for the super hard stuff in life is best found with people you actually know face-to-face in life. Not that an internet forum isn't a place where support can be found, but one of the concerns I have with our internet-saturated society is that I do fear it diverts us from investing in our relationships in the communities in which we live.
Old 11-03-13, 02:48 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
One thing you can do is join a check-in, or start one. That's like having a small group of friends with whom you can discuss general, life issues.
Posting to your check-on friends is infinitely better than posting to 21,411 people--that's how many people are on this board.
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
I understand there are some things like other hobbies that wouldn't be appropriate to post about here - like look at this sweater I knitted or hey, I'm going to see (insert name of band).
Or movies, TV shows, etc. I think these are more egregiously off-topic...and are among the subjects that I believe the sticky note refers to.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Good ideas! I'd PM WWWendy about them.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
susan p
VF Supporter

Somehow I missed Wendy's notice, but I had been thinking that we are kind of overdue for one. . . more than once recently I have had 4 OT threads on my first page of new posts alone (I have my preferences set for 20 posts per page.)

I've been thinking "won't be long till Wendy has to remind us about OT!" lol.

Guess I was right.
Closed Thread

Tags
off-topic