Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-04-14, 10:17 AM  
anitasmith

Slim in 6 alternated with cardio

Hi.

I have been lurking here for years but just very recently finally decided to officially join. I have to say that i love this forum, and that the advice and information provided here has really helped me and inspired me in my health/weight loss journey. I've recently restarted working out after a very long break, and I need to lose many, many pounds (we're talking over 50 lbs here). I am very carefully watching what I eat and also decided to start a Slim in 6 rotation, but after a few workouts, I have realized that I have gotten so out of shape that even Start It Up is really hard for me and leaves me very tired and very sore. I know that with time it'll get easier. But since my muscles feel so sore, I was wondering if I should alternate Slim in 6 with cardio days in between in order to let my muscles recuperate. What I'm worried about is that if I do it this way, if I'll get the same benefits or results that I would get if I do the rotation the way that it's supposed to go.

Would adding cardio hinder my results in some way, or somehow defeat the purpose of slim training and this program? Should I keep doing this rotation doing the workouts everyday or should I add cardio? Has anyone done Slim in 6 alternated with cardio? Did you get good results? Do you have any other rotation ideas for slim in 6? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by anitasmith; 04-04-14 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Adding info
anitasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 10:43 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Welcome to VF! Listen, it really does not matter if you follow a rotation/system perfectly. You do what feels right for you. It might just be that you need some time to build up your strength and endurance. Just to get up and do some exercise is great! Be kind to yourself and just do what you can. You will get stronger, and become more energetic in the process! BTY, I have used both the Slim in 6 workouts, and Slim Series, and I often took cardio days between the actual workouts. You have to make it work for you!
Good luck!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 10:49 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Welcome to VF, Anita!

It has been years since I've used Debbie's workouts, but I have done them both ways. Alternating the SS workout for the week with days of cardio (usually walking) and on other rotations doing the rotation as written.

If I were to do it now, I'd have to alternate with cardio because I'd get too bored doing the same workout day after day. I'd probably keep Sunday's as my stretching/yoga day, just so I'd be ready for the work ahead the next week!

I think Debbie was a jogger/runner so she did do cardio with her workouts, too!

On one rotation of SS, I did injure myself with the fast pace of the squats. Couldn't sit down for weeks! Definitely listen to your body, when you're getting back into the swing of things!

I would think you'd get great results and stick with the program if you alternated days. You could probably even cut the longer workouts in half when you get past Start It Up, and add some cardio to you SS days (if you wanted to do so.)

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Pam

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 11:17 AM  
SpiritSong

A few of us around here actually got sick attempting to do Slim in 6 on a daily basis, so I vote for listening to your body.
Old 04-04-14, 12:32 PM  
poohpeggy

Cardio is good for many things like your lungs, heart etc. I can not do SS more then 3x a week or my joints talk to me in a bad way. When I started over and had a lot of weight to use I did beginner workouts until I felt stronger. As long as your moving its all good. I found You Tube had a lot of free workouts. Your library may also have some beginner workouts which is nice because you probably will outgrow them rapidly. A little hint, once I started watching my carbs the weight started melting off.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 02:34 PM  
Sandrine

Hi, Anita, and welcome to vf!!
The first time I did Sin6 it seemed really hard to me, too. Even though I had been working out for a while, I had never done anything exactly like that and hadn't worked w/tubing. I can't remember the rotation that comes with it but I did 1 whole week of SIU, 2 weeks of Ramp and 3 weeks of Burn. In a way, it was a relief to not think about what to do, just get into the workout clothes and *do* it, you know?
Since then, I've also done it w/added cardio, usually step, on alternate days and a stretch/yoga day each week. For me, the cardio really does help to ease any soreness.
My personal experience is that the magic isn't so much in the actual rotation, it's in the consistency that the structure of the rotation provides.
Also, don't be afraid to really tailor that w/o to your personal needs. If doing all of SIU is exhausting, do parts of it and replace the rest w/Leslie Sansone- type walking in place.
Hope this helps, and again, welcome!
Sandrine
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-14, 05:27 PM  
kimzwirez

alternating Slim in 6 & cardio

I always got really sore with SIU after not exercising for awhile. Perhaps you could use a yoga or stretching video to alternate until you are able to progress to doing the Slim in 6 program daily.
kimzwirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 02:34 AM  
anitasmith

Thank you so much for your replies and advice! You have given me a lot to think about. You guys are right. I guess my main concern was that if I didn't follow the rotation as suggested, or if I added more cardio, that it wouldn't be as effective or that I wouldn't get the same results. I was much more worried about that than how i physically feel, when I should really start listening to my body and if I feel weak, sore or tired i should just ease up a bit. When I started the rotation my plan was to add some type of cardio. I have also been doing some short Leslie and Jessica Smith workouts in addition to slim in 6, but I just wasn't sure of how I should incorporate them in this specific rotation. Maybe that was the problem. I wanted to do too much and i was overdoing it. Now I will definitely combine Sin6 with cardio. That would help keep me motivated as I absolutely love cardio and also will help while my muscles get stronger and used to working out again.

I also should definitely add some yoga and/or stretching too, like some of you said. I have to admit that I'm not really a fan and sometimes I even skip it, but especially now that I'm restarting stretching would benefit me even more to let my muscles feel better.

Thank you again. I knew I could count on you to help me out. And now that i'm not lurking anymore, i hope to post more and to get to know you guys better, and that you can get to know me too!

Last edited by anitasmith; 04-05-14 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typos
anitasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 02:13 PM  
marya

Anita, Debbie has a 30-min stretch workout, Cool It Off Express, that I think would not be too taxing for someone resuming an exercise program. Might be a good alternate day workout. Also, finishing your regular Slim in Six workout with Debbie's 15-min stretch routine might help your muscles recover faster. Best of luck!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 07:07 PM  
kristiep

Anita -- welcome! VF is the best forum.

I did a Slim in 6 rotation many years ago. I got very strong but doing the 6 days a week was tough on my joints. I found it best to do Start It Up for 2-3 weeks before moving to Ramp It Up for 2-3 weeks, then Burn It Up. Nowadays, I would NOT do a straight rotation with SI6. I'd definitely mix it up. I would alternate with straight cardio or the Slim & 6 Pack / Slim & Limber. I also love doing Ellen Barrett workouts in between the more athletic/bootcamp type workouts.

That said, I used Start It Up followed by Slim & Limber for 3 weeks (6 days per week, 1 day rest) to get in shape for a ski vacation. It worked wonderfully. Don't rush into the more advanced workouts too quickly. Nothing wrong with taking things more slowly.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
si6, slim in 6