Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-11, 08:51 PM  
hotncmom

Need advice on my son's knee pain please

My son plays football, and he has been having an ongoing problem with his knee over the last month. He says he thinks he hit it (but doesn't really remember), but it hurts when he runs or bends it. I have palpatated his knee and there are no ouchie spots, and I have had him use the foam roller on his hip and IT band and there was no referred pain to the knee. I am hoping it is just a deep bruise but the only way to know for sure is to go to a doctor. There are a couple of problems with that....

Practice/games/school are all encompassing right now and he is trying out for the school play to boot. It's all doable but we are on a tight schedule. He doesn't want to miss anything. He has just moved up in his league to a new team so is a bench sitter for the most part but has recently impressed the coach so that he may get more game time and/or a better position.

I told him that if the doctor finds something it could take him out of football for the rest of the season (they have about 6 weeks left), and he doesn't want that. On the other hand, I don't want him to injure himself further by continuing to run. He is also going out for First in Fitness at his school and wants really badly to participate in that. He's also got a lot going on in the classroom that he doesn't want to miss...he's going to be tested for AIG next week.

So, what is the likelihood that this is something serious that could get worse? How urgently should I try to get him to a doctor?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:21 PM  
Sophie

how old is he? I'm noticing that among my 14 (almost 15) year old son's peers, there seems a high chronic injury rate because their bones are growing so fast and not necessarily in balance, and furthermore, their soft tissue/connective tissue development seems to lag behind the skeletal growth. Lots of joint issues.

In our case, I have always gone for preventing possible long term damage, over short term competition goals (and yes, I've pulled him from national level competition). So I would come down on the doctor/physio route, even if it meant missing part of a season - which, quite possibly, it might not.

But I'm speaking as someone who is currently dealing with chronic injury, that I suspect has roots in my own enjoyable but reckless youth. So I am biased towards erring on the side of caution, and applying my own hindsight to my kids.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:24 PM  
hotncmom

He's 10 years old.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:36 PM  
Sophie

I think that would bias me even more in favour of doctor now. It might not be anything. I personally would want to know, though.

eta: growing kids have growing pains, but if the same pain associated with the same movement has persisted for over a week or two without any signs of improving on its own, then I definitely visit the doctor.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 09:13 AM  
akaAnnie

Last year my son had a similar problem during wrestling although he is older-15 at the time. We don't go to the doctor often, usually it's only for his yearly check up. Most things heal themselves with time and care, but I took him for the knee pain. That knee has to last him for a very long time and if it had meant dropping wrestling it would have happened. It may be nothing but for his long term well being I'd go to the doctor.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 10:13 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Take him to the doctor!

My nephew, Michael, had knee pain, but he hid it from my sister until he could no longer tolerate the pain. The initial thought was that he injured it during soccer, football, or basketball. For Michael, it ended up being a form of Lymphoma. The main tumor was in his knee. Unfortunately, Michael lost his battle within 6 months. Til this day, my sister is ridden with the guilt of not taking Michael to the doctor sooner even though Michael always played down his pain.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 10:18 AM  
sciencelady

I'd get it evaluated by the doctor so that you can plan your next course of action with some data.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 10:53 AM  
Darisa

Doctor.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 11:58 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

Doctor! You will feel better when it turns out to be much of nothing. My nephew had horrible growing pains at 10. Some days he would have really achy joints. Play it safe. He's not going to miss the Olympics, World Series or World Cup right now. Check it out. He will be better off missing something at 10 than developing a problem down the line.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-11, 12:01 PM  
kelbelle

Take your son to a doctor. My husband is the athletic trainer (sports medicine, not fitness training) for his high school and he has stories about kids like your son all the time. It's tough to balance not wanting to miss out on anything versus wanting to make sure you're taking care of your body. Since it only hurts when he runs or bends and not when he's doing his day to day stuff, it sounds like it's nothing major, but something that needs to be addressed before it becomes something major. From how I've seen Brian treat other folks with the same issues, they'll probably give your son some exercises to do to strengthen his knees and recommend a brace while playing sports, but he really needs to get it looked at to make sure there is nothing else going on there.
kelbelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bone bruise, knee issues, knee pain