Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-14, 11:59 AM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

questions for those with DDP Yoga

Hi - I will be starting DDP yoga tomorrow (tried the dozen tutorial today). I am unsure about whether I should be doing the beginner, intermediate or advanced. I have a lot of (video-only) yoga experience, and completed the UY program a year ago. I also have a nagging SI joint/hamstring/IT band issue that I need to heal or at least work around. Could someone who has done the program suggest whether I should be starting with beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Also, I am thinking of doing some Brazil Butt Lift workouts on off days (to try to strengthen my glutes to address my injury), and I plan to do some more rehab-type workouts (specifically Jill Millar's Hip Helpers dvd, and UY Yin Yoga) a few times a week to address my injury. I would appreciate your thoughts on how I should incorporate these additional workouts.

Thanks for your help!
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 01:35 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loleen View Post
Hi - I will be starting DDP yoga tomorrow (tried the dozen tutorial today). I am unsure about whether I should be doing the beginner, intermediate or advanced. I have a lot of (video-only) yoga experience, and completed the UY program a year ago. I also have a nagging SI joint/hamstring/IT band issue that I need to heal or at least work around. Could someone who has done the program suggest whether I should be starting with beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Also, I am thinking of doing some Brazil Butt Lift workouts on off days (to try to strengthen my glutes to address my injury), and I plan to do some more rehab-type workouts (specifically Jill Millar's Hip Helpers dvd, and UY Yin Yoga) a few times a week to address my injury. I would appreciate your thoughts on how I should incorporate these additional workouts.

Thanks for your help!
If you have completed UY and have other yoga experience, start with the intermediate or advanced DDPY schedules. The beginner schedule is truly for those who are extremely out of shape and inflexible.

Even with your injury, if you start on the intermediate schedule, you are only doing 3 workouts per week for the first three weeks. The first week is Diamond Dozen, which is a tutorial, and you do the Energy workout twice that first week--Energy is 20 minutes long. As the weeks progress you add more workouts, and at week 13 of intermediate you are doing 4-6 workouts a week.

In the advanced rotation, you start out with 4 workouts per week and by week 13 you are doing 5-6 workouts a week. The first week of advanced you do the Diamond Dozen tutorial immediately followed by the Energy workout, then you do Fat Burner twice and an additional Energy workout that week. Fat Burner is about 25 minutes long.

I had lots of yoga experience when I got the program, and I started on the advanced schedule. I wasn't nursing an injury the way you are, though. I think you'd be fine with intermediate or advanced; just listen to your body and make any modifications you need to.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 03:54 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I would second the recommendation to do either the intermediate or advanced rotation.

You may want to work in recovery days or workouts. I know that I can't do pure strength based yoga on an almost daily basis. I had to modify and add in CS or stretchy yoga.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-14, 10:07 PM  
Loleen
VF Supporter

Thank you for both responses. This is extremely helpful!
Loleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, ddp yoga