Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-08, 09:14 AM  
spotted zebra

A couple of workouts from the UK taught me to do squats the pain-free way. Til I tried them I thought my knees couldn't handle squats at all. What worked for me was the instructors saying, "lower down and stick your bum out". Yes, it doesn't sound pretty. But it works. I used to obsess whether my knees went over too far (which they usually did) and with the change in focus I find it much easier to keep in proper alignment.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:16 AM  
Carol_is_fit

I found that to be true as well, spotted_zebra. When I concentrate more on sticking my bum way back, I don't have to worry about my knees tracking too far forward, because they literally can't in that position.

Carol
Old 05-06-08, 09:17 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
If you can't do squats, you may be able to strengthen your quads with the leg press machine at a gym. Keeping your hips back behind your knees is much easier on them, and it's easier to do that on the leg press machine. Wall squats or squatting against the wall with a stability ball behind you is another option.
I did the leg press machine and the wall squats with a stability ball behind my back as part of my rehab, but I would caution anyone using the leg press machine to double check on the form. Improper foot placement and form may have been one factor in the inequality in my quadriceps muscle. At the end of my pt, we both decided that maybe it would be best if I avoid the leg press machine because I had such a hard time executing the move properly without close supervision for whatever reason (bad habits, flexibility issues, whatever). But it is an option if you know what you're doing and need to take out the instability added with free-standing squats.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:53 AM  
Libby

Can you do wall squats without the stability ball? I don't have anywhere to store one of those large balls.

Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:01 AM  
Vee

Libby,

Consult your doc before doing squats again. Osteoarthritis causes degeneration of cartilage in the knees and the physiotherapist in my gym makes people with the condition do their squats in a partial range of motion with close attention to form.

Here is a link to something I found on the net. It says flexing knees beyong 45 degrees is not a good idea:
http://pamf.sutterhealth.org/sports/...arthritis.html

My mum has osteoarthritis and deep knee bends bring on pain. Her condition is manageable as long as she avoids them.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:09 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby
Can you do wall squats without the stability ball? I don't have anywhere to store one of those large balls.

Libby
Yes, although you may not be able to slide down and up as easily. Perhaps someone can chime in with suggestions about how to resolve that.

Vee, good points about osteoarthritis, which is different than muscular imbalance and weakness for sure!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:14 AM  
berry99

I sometimes do wall squats with a stability ball, but also sometimes do them with a playground ball that is about 6-8" in diameter.
Old 05-06-08, 10:16 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Libby said in per first post she has been told she has osteoarthritis in her knee. So do I. With correct form, squats are safe to do. Different orthopedic docs have different takes on this. In my own experience, one told me nearly ten years ago I wouldn't be walking by now. Another gave me a green light to do whatever I wanted because I'm an RN and he knew I worked out before I fell and tore the ligaments in my knee. One could find as many articles on the benefits of such exercises as squats for patients with osteoarthritis as they could on the potential dangers of them. A lot of it depends on the underlying muscle to begin with, how fit the person is to begin with, the instruction they get on proper form, their own flexibility, etc., etc., etc. Every person's situation is going to depend on many things. Most of the literature talks about squats being a contributing factor to the development of osteoarthritis. Also, occupations or lifestyles which require a person to squat and bend repeatedly can lead to the development of osteoarthritis in the hips and knees. So much of this depends on what the person did at a young age. Also, please understand arthritic changes usually takes years to develop.

Here are some different takes on it:

http://www.arthritis.org/right-way-to-squat.php

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10902744

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...k-factors.html

Carol
Old 05-06-08, 10:27 AM  
Castella

I actually prefer to do wall squats without a ball.

I use a kitchen towel draped over my shoulders. It helps with sliding up and down and of course protects the wall as well. I've found wall squats to be very helpful. On one of my workouts (istrength?) the instructor says to make sure your back is flat against the wall, but I don't press the small of my back flat.

If no one objects, I have my own question about squatting, which relates to what happens when you push your butt way back. There's a tendancy to arch the back and rotate the pelvic bone back when sticking your butt back. Especially when you are also trying to keep your chest up and out. I try to fight the arching and keep my pelvic bone more level and my back straight. Right? Wrong?
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 10:36 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella
I actually prefer to do wall squats without a ball.

I use a kitchen towel draped over my shoulders. It helps with sliding up and down and of course protects the wall as well. I've found wall squats to be very helpful. On one of my workouts (istrength?) the instructor says to make sure your back is flat against the wall, but I don't press the small of my back flat.

If no one objects, I have my own question about squatting, which relates to what happens when you push your butt way back. There's a tendancy to arch the back and rotate the pelvic bone back when sticking your butt back. Especially when you are also trying to keep your chest up and out. I try to fight the arching and keep my pelvic bone more level and my back straight. Right? Wrong?
I would say that is correct. Arching the back could lead to lower back pain, which of course is not what we're going for. HTH.

I hope Liz N sees this thread and offers her expert opinion. She always has sound, professional advice for questions like these.

Carol

Tags
knees, quads, squats