Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-08-20, 09:02 AM  
laurajhawk

Pandemic goals

Of course, I want to stay safe and sane, and my workouts help with that! They contribute directly to my sanity, and indirectly to my safety by keeping my immune system strong.

Other goals ... Well, I read about people using the time to get in shape, cook more, etc., and more power to them. I am still working (now from home) and don't have that much more free time, and of course I'm stressed by the situation. So my physical goal is not to GAIN weight. I'm weighing 4-5 days a week and when I see my weight creeping up, I try to make a few better decisions - salads, extra cardio.

I'm one of these people constantly trying to lose 5-10 lbs, and I came home from a lovely Feb vacation with a couple pounds of vacation weight. I don't care, I'm keeping those pounds till after the pandemic passes, I expect. So far I'm within a pound of the weight I was at when I came home, and I think I'm doing awesome.

How about you?

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 09:44 AM  
bubbles76

My goals are to try to decrease stress and increase self care. My job stress has gone up so high. I need to do something about it. More meditation, yoga. Gotta set up a meditation/yoga schedule.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 10:00 AM  
alisoncooks

Our day-to-day life hasn't changed much, though I can tell that there's an increase in my underlying stress levels. When the pandemic began, I was coming off about two months of no exercise (huge house project where everything was crazy and stressful). We got that all complete (final carpet installed) literally the Friday before SIP. (Whew!)

My goals:
Not gain weight (I've already quite a bit to lose) -- I'm holding steady!
Get back in the habit of exercising regularly -- check! Feeling really good about this!

I've been doing a lot of breathing and watching the birds and reading. Watching anime with my girls and playing games. So I'm calling that mental health and self care.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:26 PM  
VainJane

For me the biggest goal is to keep my energy up. Working from home is really exhausting, I have several hours of video conferences every day, I have to train new hires remotely, etc. At the same time, things that I usually do to re-energize - e.g. meeting friends for dinner, a long walk in the park, getting a mani-pedi at a nice salon, a weekend trip to the beach, etc. - aren't available right now. So I find myself increasingly tired every week. I've been eating very healthy (which I always do when I eat at home, eating out is where I get in trouble) and upping my workouts from 3-4x/week to 5-6x/week, and I've even lost a few pounds, but I'm still struggling with a lack of energy.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:41 PM  
upperwside

My goal is to stay happy and keep my family happy. So far so good. School work is going well and we are keeping active. Lots more movie nights going on over here. My kids are really disappointed in missing sports. Both are active in competitive sports. My son's hockey team was the 2nd best in their division in all of Ontario ( #1 in Toronto) in the world's largest organized competitive hockey league. They were in playoffs when the shutdown happened. My daughter is a competitive gymnast and made provincials this year, also canceled. So, I've been active keeping them in shape and happy continuing their sports at home. I'm reading a lot of great books and haven't gained any weight!!! I'm to drop a few, and did.. But I'm definitely enjoying cocktail nights with my husband. My dog is the happiest.. He is happy to have us all around. I work from home, so he is used to me being around. I worry about my mother in law as she lives all alone. My parents are in NY, but glad they are healthy and have each other. They have lots of gardens keeping them occupied. Stay sane everyone!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:43 PM  
Gams

My only goal right now is to get rid of the bear that’s been hanging out at my house. I love bears - I just prefer to love them from a distance. I have not a speck of food in my yard - not even bird seed in the bird feeder. I didn’t mind too much when I would just see him crossing the yard, but the other night I looked out the front door and he was standing at the door looking back. I’ve left three messages for the DNR, but they have not called me back. I want them to come out and trap him and relocate him.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:46 PM  
Mickey12

I have an extra hour and a half each day because I’m not commuting for work. I have been trying to make good use of the time by getting a little more sleep and working out more/longer. Aside from the expected anxiety regarding the overall situation, I have been feeling pretty good. I am really focusing on working out and I think that has helped tremendously.

A secondary goal is not to gain any weight. I weigh myself at work so I really don’t know if I gained weight or not. I will have to wait until June (at least) to find out!

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:49 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I didn’t mind too much when I would just see him crossing the yard, but the other night I looked out the front door and he was standing at the door looking back.
YIKES! I grew up in a rural area with plenty of black bears, but that would've scared the bejeezus out of me.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:51 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
My only goal right now is to get rid of the bear that’s been hanging out at my house. I love bears - I just prefer to love them from a distance. I have not a speck of food in my yard - not even bird seed in the bird feeder. I didn’t mind too much when I would just see him crossing the yard, but the other night I looked out the front door and he was standing at the door looking back. I’ve left three messages for the DNR, but they have not called me back. I want them to come out and trap him and relocate him.
Wow, having a bear looking in my front door would certainly get my attention. Yikes!

My boss has a similar situation. He has a lot of wildlife in his yard lately and he believes it’s because everyone is sheltering at home, nothing to stir things up and frighten the wildlife away from populated areas.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 05:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
My kids are really disappointed in missing sports. Both are active in competitive sports. My son's hockey team was the 2nd best in their division in all of Ontario ( #1 in Toronto) in the world's largest organized competitive hockey league. They were in playoffs when the shutdown happened. My daughter is a competitive gymnast and made provincials this year, also canceled.
This is heartbreaking, isn't it? My son's volleyball team probably would have won their division, too. No prom, and a virtual graduation from a very small school with a very tight knit community. It's such a sad way to end the year! I know, many people have it much worse. I don't mean to whine -- really just meant to commiserate.

Um, good luck with the bear, Gams!

I'm trying to get better at decluttering.

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, goals