Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-20, 06:18 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Let's Brainstorm Ideas for a Virtual Birthday Party

Every year, I have a party for my birthday, but of course, this year, an in-person party won't be possible. I started thinking about doing some kind of virtual party. I have never done any kind of video chat online, but have read about the different formats (i.e. Zoom, WebEx, Google Hangouts).

It would be fun to have some kind of plan for the party, so that we don't just sit there trying to make conversation.

Since VF is full of so many creative people, I thought I would ask you all if you have any ideas about how to do a fun, virtual party online.

Thanks!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:25 PM  
Erica H.

We just played pictionary with my adult sons when we did a video chat last weekend. That was lots of fun. It was an online game.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:27 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
We just played pictionary with my adult sons when we did a video chat last weekend. That was lots of fun. It was an online game.

Erica
That's fun, Erica! I just bought Scattergories, but haven't played it yet. Maybe that would work? Which app did you use for the chat?
Old 05-05-20, 06:56 PM  
BigBadBetty

Happy Birthday! I had a birthday party using Google Hangouts. We played an online version of Cards against Humanity and Skribbl. I also dropped homemade cookies on the doorstep of the invitees.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:56 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
That's fun, Erica! I just bought Scattergories, but haven't played it yet. Maybe that would work? Which app did you use for the chat?
We love Scattergories! We haven't played that with video chat, but that should work really well.

I don't know what we used for chat - my son sent a link and I just clicked on it (I am pretty incompetent with technology). I've used zoom many times, though.

Have fun and happy birthday!

Erica
Old 05-05-20, 06:57 PM  
Kitten

I've been video chatting with my family using Zoom.
Both my brothers use their computers, my sister uses her tablet and I use my phone.
It works well.

As far as the party goes, maybe play charades or something along those lines. I'd probably also have everyone buy/make a cake or cupcakes and you can all blow the candles out together.

Just a thought.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:57 PM  
Erica H.

https://www.drawize.com/ I think this is the pictionary game we played.

Erica
Old 05-06-20, 04:41 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
Happy Birthday! I had a birthday party using Google Hangouts. We played an online version of Cards against Humanity and Skribbl. I also dropped homemade cookies on the doorstep of the invitees.
It sounds like you had a fun party! It was nice of you to drop off cookies to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
I've been video chatting with my family using Zoom.
Both my brothers use their computers, my sister uses her tablet and I use my phone.
It works well.

As far as the party goes, maybe play charades or something along those lines. I'd probably also have everyone buy/make a cake or cupcakes and you can all blow the candles out together.

Just a thought.
Thanks for the ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
https://www.drawize.com/ I think this is the pictionary game we played.

Erica
Thanks, Erica! I haven't played Pictionary in years! I remember it was fun!
Old 05-06-20, 04:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've seen lots of kids' parties where the friends drive by the child's garage, and the cars are all decorated, and the kid is waiting and walks out to receive his/her gifts.

i like the Pictionary idea.

I've had success using Webex,

ideas:
Name that tune game
karaoke sing along
scavenger hunt with a deadline
share a simple recipe, or do a recipe challenge (pick an ingredient and see what people come up with, then everyone reports back during the "birthday meeting").

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 05:07 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i've seen lots of kids' parties where the friends drive by the child's garage, and the cars are all decorated, and the kid is waiting and walks out to receive his/her gifts.

i like the Pictionary idea.

I've had success using Webex,

ideas:
Name that tune game
karaoke sing along
scavenger hunt with a deadline
share a simple recipe, or do a recipe challenge (pick an ingredient and see what people come up with, then everyone reports back during the "birthday meeting").
Thanks, Jeannine! Those are great ideas!

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, party ideas, video chat, video conferencing, virtual party